Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently purchased a left-over (new) 2003 vtx 1800c. i was suprised when i looked through the owners manual & found a 600 mile interval for maintenance, but it was blank. first oil & filter change not due until 4000 miles? Etc.? the 1300vtx (2004) that i traded in for this bike had it's first oil change, valve adjustment, etc. due at 600 miles. also, which solutions are best for keeping my bike clean? sprays , wax, degreasers, other cleaners? what works best for bug splatter? Any advice is much appreciated. THANKS

·
Super Moderator
64,139 Posts
Yes, there is no 600 mile service for the 18. But we suggest a change of oil&filter plus a once over on all the fasteners just for peace of mind.

Cleaning is any good auto wash(NO DISH SOAP!!) and a good wax, I use Zaino Brothers. Dried bug guts, very warm water on a towel and let that towel sit on the guts for a minute to loosen the guts up before. Do not try to scrub them off, some guts will scratch the paint. 8)
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mer ... Code=Zaino

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My '96 GPz 1100 looked like it was right off the showroom when I sold it for above top dollar last month. That was 8 seasons and almost 9 years old. I washed it the same way since it was new. Now, that bike had a lot of plastic, so perhaps my method may need to change because now we are talking chrome and a much more refined motorcycle.
Here is my method (I hope it's still valid): with the bike cold, I liberally (it's the only thing liberal I believe in) spray unconcentrated Simple Green all over. Between 1/4 and 1/3 of a 40 oz. bottle I suppose. Immediately mist the whole bike with water, then rinse with lots of water from a garden hose (not high pressure). Then dry with a couple of bath towels. Of course, you'll need to do Chi-Spi's bug method and hand wash the wheels. I use Protect-All aresol on the wheels. It keeps them looking awesome and easier to clean the next time. On alternate washes, I polish the rest of the bike with Protect-All and Eagle Wet Look polish.

I will continue this method, unless someone tells me Simple Green is harsh on chrome. I don't think that will be the case. My GPz had a chrome pipe. No other chrome though. It didn't seem to effect it.

Simple Green rules.
Todd

·
Registered
510 Posts
my 1800 is a year old now and I use Suzuki's bike wash. I tried some after a friend told me about it. Spay it on....let it sit for a couple of mins and even the hard bugs wash right off with just normal water hose spray. i always use compressed air for drying. This works great for me.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
As Spike says, Honda does not do an oil change on the VTX1800 and GL1800 (Gold Wing) until 4000 miles. But, as Spike also said, most will do an oil & filter change, plus a thurough once-over at 600 - 1,000 miles for the heck of it.

Some also recommend to check, if not drain & replace, the rear hub gear oil.

And then you can get into the never-ending debate as to which oil to use :roll:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38931

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Honda Polish for cleaning is the only way to go in my book. I use a Mopar cleaner wax from work to wax my X.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts