Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new 1300R from the dealer, and after getting it home, checked the oil and found the level indicating just barely on the tip of the stick, below the add line. Dealer said to bring it back and they would top it off for me. I did that and then took it on its maiden ride - just 60 miles, but when I got it home and something said "maybe you ought to check that oil level again," I found it again at the same level. (yes, I followed the owner's manual method of checking oil after a few minutes of running the engine). Another call and visit to the dealer - and they found it to indeed be about 1/2 quart low. Turns out their shop ramp in their new location has a slope to it, and so they weren't getting an accurate "level" reading. By taking it outside to the level parking lot, they found the level reading just barely on the stick....just what I had seen at my home.

So my question to them was "did I do any damage to my engine by riding it now about 75 miles with low oil quantity?" They said "no" - and after checking with the HOnda Tech line, they were told that the bike could run on just 1 quart of oil for thousands of miles without any damage.

Is this bunk? I would like to get some objective responses.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
No. If you had not seen any oil on the stick, there might have been a problem. Repeat, might.

·
Registered
320 Posts
i seem to remember on my first oil change i only got about half the amount of oil that should have been in there out but it took the full amount to refill it.
It must be a common problem.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Because of the design of this engine I would believe what honda said. No way that you hurt it in 75 miles.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had the EXACT same thing happen to me, I checked it with about 225 miles and it ended up being 1-1/2 quarts low. Have talked to both the dealer and Honda, and the best I will probably get out of it is a free early oil change. I was really hoping for an extended warranty or at least something in writing from the dealer AND Honda offering to cover repairs caused by premature wear.

·
Registered
112 Posts
New Bike - Low Oil

The proper way to check the oil level, according to the manual, is INCORRECT.

Once the bike is warm you should sit on the bike or place it upright, unscrew the dip stick, wipe it off, then just place it in the hole, and check it again. This was confirmed via Honda.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought a VTX 1300C 04/07/05 and rode it some when it was not raining. Anyway something kept saying to me check the oil, check the oil, so Sunday morn I warmed it up and then let it sit a few minutes just like my book said and checked it. It was barely touching dipstick. Went to Auto Zone after reading book about the right oil to use and got some for it, I put over a half quart in the bike. Called my dealer they said it would be fine till my 600 mile service (which they will do free)(they just don't know it yet). Yall think I'll be ok?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought a VTX 1300C 04/07/05 and rode it some when it was not raining. Anyway something kept saying to me check the oil, check the oil, so Sunday morn I warmed it up and then let it sit a few minutes just like my book said and checked it. It was barely touching dipstick. Went to Auto Zone after reading book about the right oil to use and got some for it, I put over a half quart in the bike. Called my dealer they said it would be fine till my 600 mile service (which they will do free)(they just don't know it yet). Yall think I'll be ok?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts