Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi after a long time threatening to do so I have finally decided to get myself a motorcycle, I have researched a lot and decided that the VTX 1300 was probably the best bike for what I needed as I would like tour more. I am in my 50s average build and this will be my first bike. I know a lot of people say buy a 750 and work up but I don’t want to get into buying and selling as I outgrow. So I thought I’d buy once and buy right. I am looking at a 2006 VTX with 11000 on the clock and although I have read the threads on here, if anyone has any advice or updates to give I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
another "OLD" wise tail that needs to DIE.

get the manual.. do the maintenance...
my VTX1800 has 90,000 miles.. I got it new in 2/2005.
I am just shy of 70 years old... still doing 6,000 to 7,000 miles per year.

·
Super Moderator
6,178 Posts
Welcome to the board. It would be a great idea if you found a motorcycle foundation course being held near you and signed up. Most bike accidents occur with older guys like us, who are either just taking up motorcycling or have returned to it after being away for some time. We're not as quick in our reaction times as we once were, and with all the distractions present for people driving cars around us some good solid defensive riding skill are a must to help to give you an edge. Not trying to scare you, but with only fractions of a second to react in order to keep you safe it's wise to know what to look for in the people who are not always aware of you and/or are not willing to share the road with you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree with Chuck. Bought my first bike, a Shadow 600, at the young age of 62! Was ready to buy bigger at 62.5! I ride a 06 1800S now. Check out the videos at mcrider.com. I think you'll find some helpful information. Welcome and ride safely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys unfortunately he sold that bike but I’m still looking, I agree with VTOX and already signed up for a new riders / refresher course, as I think it’s the smartest route. Anyway still looking will post a picture when I’m successful..

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Welcome to the board. It would be a great idea if you found a motorcycle foundation course being held near you and signed up. Most bike accidents occur with older guys like us, who are either just taking up motorcycling or have returned to it after being away for some time. We're not as quick in our reaction times as we once were, and with all the distractions present for people driving cars around us some good solid defensive riding skill are a must to help to give you an edge. Not trying to scare you, but with only fractions of a second to react in order to keep you safe it's wise to know what to look for in the people who are not always aware of you and/or are not willing to share the road with you.
Hmmmm…. I was going to challenge this point about "most accidents occur with older guys"... but it's actually closer to true than I thought. With a bit of clicking and googling, the easiest compilation of bike safety stats was found to be from 2015. So, I'm assuming four year old data is still pretty representative of today's biking risks.

According to NTHSA, in 2015 there were 4976 recorded biker fatalities, and the average victim age was 42. Out of this total number of deaths:
…. riders of 29 years old and younger accounted for 1454 deaths (29.2%);
…. riders of 30 to 39 years old accounted for 849 deaths (17.1%);
…. riders of 40 to 49 years old accounted for 875 deaths (17.6%); and
…. riders of 50 years old and above accounted for 1796 deaths (36.1%).

Without some better accounting about how many riders are represented by each age bracket, it's hard to draw precise conclusions about relative dangers, but it's indisputable that the 50 and above crowd had a larger number of fatalities than did the other brackets.

This thread is meant to be a welcome to a newbie, so don't let our safety harping undermine that message. But at the same time, be fully aware that biking has its dangers, and being alert to the risks, carefully expanding your own riding skills, ensuring your own visibility and wearing appropriate safety gear are all important parts of enjoying the freedom of riding. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Thanks guys unfortunately he sold that bike but I’m still looking, I agree with VTOX and already signed up for a new riders / refresher course, as I think it’s the smartest route. Anyway still looking will post a picture when I’m successful..

I see you are somewhere in Canada, keep looking, they pop up for sale all the time in my area (Kingston ON)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see you are somewhere in Canada, keep looking, they pop up for sale all the time in my area (Kingston ON)
I’m in Alberta currently looking at one advertised in Saskatchewan, but it has ape hangers!! Not sure how these would be for long distance also unsure if they would have any effect on the Out of Province inspection.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
Hello Hammerswinger, welcome to the VTXOA!
I ride a 1300C. I made some 3" risers a long time ago, removed them shortly thereafter.
Regarding the statistics I believe the 50+ is also the largest group of MC riders.
Usually around 150 miles it is time to refuel(main only). The reserve will take you another 40 miles.
Add led lights for safety front and rear. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Again
It looks like I may be leaving this group as I had my head turned by a 07 vstar 1300 the low mileage full history and new tires all at the right price was too much competition for some of the VTX bikes I was looking at. I still think the Honda is an awesome looking bike. Thanks for your help and all the best.

·
Old Goat
24,161 Posts
Hi Again
It looks like I may be leaving this group as I had my head turned by a 07 vstar 1300 the low mileage full history and new tires all at the right price was too much competition for some of the VTX bikes I was looking at. I still think the Honda is an awesome looking bike. Thanks for your help and all the best.
Goodbye/goodluck...hopefully u will find as much forum support for the vstar

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
I was looking at a 1300 Vstar in 2005, found out you had to remove the exhaust pipe to replace the oil filter.
That was the end of the Vstar for me.
My bro n law was riding a VTX 1300 at the time, that was the way I went.
Good luck. Ride safe.

·
Old Goat
24,161 Posts
I was looking at a 1300 Vstar in 2005, found out you had to remove the exhaust pipe to replace the oil filter.
That was the end of the Vstar for me.
My bro n law was riding a VTX 1300 at the time, that was the way I went.
Good luck. Ride safe.
I didnt have a clue when I went looking for a bike after having not ridden for 40 years....I’m sure there are a lot of good bikes out there....but just dont see how I/we could have done any better....the VTX checks all the boxes.... (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with Chuck. Bought my first bike, a Shadow 600, at the young age of 62! Was ready to buy bigger at 62.5! I ride a 06 1800S now. Check out the videos at mcrider.com. I think you'll find some helpful information. Welcome and ride safely.
mcrider does put out some good info.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts