Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a brand new set of brakes (front and rear). The front brakes have a very low ticking sound to them - like a roulette wheel. If I hit the front brake at speed, the sound may or may not go away. Then I can hit a hard bump in the road and it is back. Obviously, I think the pads are coming into contact with the rotor at various times. Is there anyway of getting rid of that? I was thinking a warped rotor, but if it was warped, wouldn't the sound always be there?

Thanks, Therapy

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Would not be a ticking sound if the rotor is warped. My back rotor is warped and makes a lite scraping/squeaking sound. Is the spring clip and or retainer in there or in it's place right?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clicking in front brakes ...

I also replaced them with EBC. But, I think Eazy-E might be on to something. I could have sworn I replaced the pad spring correctly, but can you install it backwards? In looking at the rear break diagram of the manual (page 15-11), it looks like the bow of the spring is outward. I believe I "might have" placed the curve of the bow into the caliper body. Does anyone have a good picture of the installed spring?

Texasgspot: Did you notice anydifference in the back brake? Although the back brake works fine and does not make any noise, I hear a "click" as it engages. I don't remember that with my previous brakes.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
They should not "tic", only "swoosh" a little. Buzzing is from the holes in the rotor passing over the pads. The top spring plate should be installed with the little, top tab sitting in a notch on the caliper and with the spring fingers facing the pads. The little tabs on top of the pads press against the spring plate. Check the retainer that the large tabs on the front of the pads sit into on the caliper. It can come loose and fall out. Be sure those front tabs are in the retainer when installing the pads. If everything is right, there will be resistance on the pads when you pull up on the rear to insert the retaining pin.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Checked and all went back together as it should both front and rear - it could be that this buzzing sound is directly related to the EBC brand as I believe I read this same issue in other threads and forums will have to search for it again but in the mean time since I'm stopping on a dime with no worries I'll put up with the noise until the next pad replacement and will go with OEM brand.

Ride Safe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a picture of my spring on the front brake - is it correct?

Please take a look at the way I have the spring attached to the front brake pads. Does it look correct? Should you be able to see it like that? Could I have mounted it incorrectly? I am still trying to determine why my front wheel clicks when riding and the brake is not pressed at all.

Thanks,

Therapy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I just did my brakes but can't for the life of me remember if I can see that spring from the front caliper or not, and my bike is at home. I'll look tonight and post if someone else hasn't covered it already.

I've thought that an additional spring threaded over the pad pin to 'spread' the pads from from resting on the disc when floating might alleviate that constant 'whoosh' type sound that comes when riding. Anyone ever try that or heard of it? Just thinking out loud here.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My money's on black!

Hope this doesn't have you seeing red:confused:
Okay, I'm confused by your answer to this...please advise. Thanks.

Okay, you're commenting on the roulette wheel sound, duh! Sorry!

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Please take a look at the way I have the spring attached to the front brake pads. Does it look correct? Should you be able to see it like that? Could I have mounted it incorrectly? I am still trying to determine why my front wheel clicks when riding and the brake is not pressed at all. Thanks, Therapy
My spring looks similar, slightly different(view angle?). May depend on year. You may want to drop the pads and install again. When you insert the pad toe and pivot the pad back it may have contacted the spring incorrectly. I did that on the rear once, pad went outside the spring. Your spring looks to be further down compared to mine.

Put the year and model on your signature line. 200x S
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/hans1300/VTX stuff/DSC05574.jpg?t=1305123948

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comparison picture ...

I printed it out and put it next to my pads. It looks the same. I am at a loss at why the brakes sound like they are engaged when they are not. I guess I will take them apart and reset them like you mentioned.

Thanks again for the picture,

Therapy

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
Did you have the wheels off??? New tires, anything else when you did the pads?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Noisy Brakes

Yes, I had the entire wheel removed in order to bring it to a shop to have a new Dunlop WWW tire put on. I changed the pads while the tire was off. When I ride and hit a bump, I believe the pads move in enough to slightly touch the rotor, making the sound like I am brakeing. I squezee the brake once (while riding), and the sound goes away (until the next bump). It seems to me that you almost should have a spring pushing the pads outward when they are not depressed??? I do remember when I put the lower spring on, I felt it did not sit in a solid position like the top spring. I really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Therapy

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's the pads

The EBC pads do cause this noise. I put them on my bike and they made the same noise. I took mine apart probably 10 times checking and rechecking everything then finally posted about it on here. I got the answer from several "VTX Gurus" about the pads. On the upside, the EBC pads do, in my opinion, stop much better than the OEM pads. The noise will decrease as you put some miles on them but it never goes away completely. I have about 10k miles on them and the noise is still there. You do get used to it, heck, I don't even notice it anymore.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
The springs can fall out of place while installing the pads. When you are sliding the bolt threw the holes in the pads, you have to push the pads upward while feeling a slight resistance caused by the pads pushing against the springs. If the sping clips were not installed right, the bolt would have slid right in with no downward resistance from the pad(s). Use your hand to see if there is any slop or play in the pads after you install and seat them.
Also, since you just mentioned that you had the wheel removed, you need to ensure the axel was tightened correctly and you installed the bushings correctly. Check out the service manual or take a look at the "how to-step by step" board to see how to install the front axel properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts