Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
After riding solo for 25 years I have a new co pilot. So i dusted off and re installed the passenger pillion.... new co pilot and pillion do NOT get along. A typical ride is 100-150 miles on a sat or sun, and the protest coming from the back seat grows with each ride. I love my 1800 (its a C) I'm completely satisfied with the stock driver seat, but im a gonna have to do something about the rear accommodations. I can understand the situation as Ive looked at that rear pad and thought, there AINT no way I would ride on that for 100+ miles.. ever..LOL
If anyone out there has come across a solution or a compromise to said situation please share by all means! The things i have tried so far include:
1. leaving co pilot at home...no complaining during the ride, but need to turn on the furnace when i get home as its a little "cold" in the house. if you know what mean.
2. wearing earplugs. Cant hear the complaints about the seat while riding, but the complaining increases when we stop.
3. A new co pilot is NOT an option at this point.
4. Researched the ultimate seat with passenger seat and back rest.....$750-$800...ahhh. faint.
Any help or suggestions ( within reason, and are civil) are appreciated. thanks

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
MCC upgraded my stock rider and passenger seats in 2013. My co-pilot has since "retired" from riding for the most part but she did put in a lot of happy miles on it and never fussed. The front seat is also much better than stock even after 7 years.

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Any upholstery shop should be able to remove old padding and install newer denser foam or gel inserts for cheaper than a new Mustang or Ultimate seat. A stopgap might be an Airhawk cushion. One of my friends has a M109 and his better half made do with an inflatable hemorroid cushion.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
308 Posts
Any upholstery shop should be able to remove old padding and install newer denser foam or gel inserts for cheaper than a new Mustang or Ultimate seat. A stopgap might be an Airhawk cushion. One of my friends has a M109 and his better half made do with an inflatable hemorroid cushion.
+ 1 on the Air hawk, it sits on top my Corbin . It's like a vacation for your arse.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need a new co-pilot, the complaining will never stop : goal is to make you stop riding and go apple picking 🤮
LOL. Actually she likes riding. On shorter rides we take the PC800 which has a sofa for a passenger seat. She's happy as a lark on that. Ive taken her on the vstrom before and she's ok with that but the strom is a bit tall for two up for me so i solo when i take that. Its that pillion on the VTX where the complaining comes in, and the X is what we ride the most. as i said, in her defense ive sat on that pillion and it really does suck. LOL. At the suggestion of spike and pushrod, as soon as the michigan riding season ends which will be soon, I'm going to send the pillion off to MCC and have them throw everything they can at it. Thanks for the replies. appreciated.

·
Old Goat
25,412 Posts
If I may ....measure and measure again and decide what u need done to the seat before u send off to MCC....they did my seat and it needed just a bit of tweaking...after some back and forth ....mostly me....I got discouraged and bought a Ultimate...but having said that...MCC does excellent work...good luck

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ultimate is a big expense up front, especially if you get all the pieces. Rider and passenger pillon is all you need I'm thinking. Big Boy with pillon is $560 and low rider with pillon is $525. A really good investment that can easily be sold for a good price if you change bikes or "circumstances" .... That passenger pillon is unique to Ultimate in that it is raised significantly in the front to help stop your rider from sliding forward. You go back later and get the back rest if you want (I love mine).
Just sayin' (y)

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Old Goat
25,412 Posts
Ultimate is a big expense up front, especially if you get all the pieces. Rider and passenger pillon is all you need I'm thinking. Big Boy with pillon is $560 and low rider with pillon is $525. A really good investment that can easily be sold for a good price if you change bikes or "circumstances" .... That passenger pillon is unique to Ultimate in that it is raised significantly in the front to help stop your rider from sliding forward. You go back later and get the back rest if you want (I love mine).
Just sayin' (y)
Ultimate last check was 5 weeks behind....my brother is wanting one....

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I had the same problem even with the Ultimate rear seat, her back would hurt in a short distance. The Ultimate rear is not remotely designed as well as the front. To do her justice for 100+ trips you need a seat that is designed with the same detail as the driver, something that cups and supports her farther out to the side. The Ultimate rear is mostly flat with a "little" more padding but that doesn't amount to much comfort improvement. Compare an Ultimate driver to passenger design, not similar.
Best I've found is the Russell Day Long, they put the "exact" same design into both driver and passenger. Custom built to each individuals weight, height, and riding position. You send them measurements and pictures of both people on the bike. Had a complete Ultimate set on the X including front and rear backrest, have a day long on the F650, no comparison for her in comfort level between the ultimate and day long. She is very comfortable on the day long. With the day long I had them move me 1" higher and 1" closer.
And as a side note, consider her position in relation to the bike's pipes. Abusive sound makes any physical discomfort seem worse, its even a battle tactic, she is getting more sound than you being closer or maybe behind the pipes. Also passenger has nothing solid to hang on to like the bars for solid support.
Attached before and after pics of my black f650 stock seat before sending to russell and the returned gray day long. Pic of ultimate seats front and rear.

russell seat compare.jpg ultimate right.jpg

·
Old Goat
25,412 Posts
I just remembered ...when I had your problem....bought a Goldwing....seriously before I bought the wing....I had a quick release trunk for those special occasions and ultimate pillion ....as of now its back to just me and the solo X....goodluck

PS..no matter what u end up with...think about a quick release sissy bar for her back support ...brother put one on his C for those 2-up moments....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just remembered ...when I had your problem....bought a Goldwing....seriously before I bought the wing....I had a quick release trunk for those special occasions and ultimate pillion ....as of now its back to just me and the solo X....goodluck

PS..no matter what u end up with...think about a quick release sissy bar for her back support ...brother put one on his C for those 2-up moments....
Ironically my "Previous" co pilot rode her own and back then I had a 1500 SE. We rode Michigan to Tennessee/N. carolina couple times a summer. When She left I stopped riding to Tennessee and with 5 motorcycles in the garage I decided to sell the wing. WHO would have thought! Wish i would have kept it now. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts