Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the ping turned into a shudder, i got the valves adjusted two years ago and it ran better but didn't help the sound. this weekend on a ride the shutter turned into a very loud clapping noise.

I took it to the dealer who thought the valve replacement would be cost prohibitive and couldn't guarantee what he would find once inside. Given the history of this bike. I tend to agree. I think a lot of the internals have eroded.

One suggestion was to replace the engine
how does that work?
Are there used engines that don't have the same issues?

Don't think i could sell it in this condition and i'm not sure how much i want to invest.
thanks for any suggestions.

It looks great,

Barney

2005 VTX 1800 R
Very clean,
Black.
14000 miles.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Barney,

You should copy your post and repost it on the 1800 Tech board. You will get more replies there. Also include a sound clip of the noise if you can and or describe it, where is sounds like it is coming from and what the sound of the noise is. Metal to metal etc.

Where are you located? Another member may be close to you and could help you out.

I have seen engines on Ebay for about $1000.

Good luck and hope you can get yours figured out and fixed.

Jim

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yes, there are engines out there, some with low miles, usually totaled (bike) due to crash damage. I bought a used 1300 engine off ebay with about 3600 miles on it. Including shipping from the east coast to the west coast it was about $1000.
Installed it and it fired right up. Has run like a champ ever since (about 30k miles so far). Several of the bike strippers on ebay post video of the engine running, most have front end damage, as mine did, but the motor was perfect. Odd that you're having this kind of problem with only 14k miles, these babies are usually bullet proof. Best of luck with it.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
Barney,

You should copy your post and repost it on the 1800 Tech board. You will get more replies there. Also include a sound clip of the noise if you can and or describe it, where is sounds like it is coming from and what the sound of the noise is. Metal to metal etc.

Where are you located? Another member may be close to you and could help you out.

I have seen engines on Ebay for about $1000.

Good luck and hope you can get yours figured out and fixed.

Jim
I went ahead and moved it for him. :thumbup:

Good luck, doesn't sound like a easy or cheap problem.

·
Registered
457 Posts
An engine swap isn't an impossible job, and it's a great way to get to know your bike!

I, too, am surprised that you're having issues at only 14K miles. What is this bike's "history" that you mentioned?

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
If it were me and I was contemplating doing an engine swap myself, I would first pull the engine, then pull the cylinder head and take a look. If the damage seems limited to the head I would think about just replacing/rebuilding it. If the damage is more significant then I would go the engine replacement route and you are already halfway done. Or if you find out the job is more than you want to bite off then you can just part it out and buy a replacement bike.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
With Xs going for as cheap as $3500 I would replace the whole bike and move the things I liked about mine over to the new bike and part out the rest or save as a spare parts bike If you have room for it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
With Xs going for as cheap as $3500 I would replace the whole bike and move the things I liked about mine over to the new bike and part out the rest or save as a spare parts bike If you have room for it.
That's exactly what I'd be doing. Part out the old bike (minus the engine of course :) ) and be well ahead of the game IMHO

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You posted in 2008 that you ran the engine without oil pressure for a while and that's when the noise started and now it's getting worse. I'd say you probably did some slight damage, and it's just slowly getting worse. Like if you scored the cam journals, as I've seen before from someone that possibly ran their engine without oil also.

I just purchased a used engine on ebay for $660 shipped. If he has the mechanical and physical ability to swap the engine, $660 is a lot less than $3500. He would probably spend more time finding buyers, disassembling the bike, and shipping the parts than he would pulling the engine and putting in a new used one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Thanks everyone,
I am considering all options including replacing the bike,
i tried the link to craigslist and it has been removed.
Looks like they go pretty fast.

When the bike is in another state, IE florida, California
How do you get it accross the country?

I am in Southeast Michigan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
engine link

Thanks for the ebay engine link,

How specific do i have to be for a match?

Does it have to be from another 2005 VTX 1800 R

Or can i make others work.

available where
02 honda vtx1800C
03 honda vtx1800
03 honda vtx1800R

Also , how do i know if the engine is good?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts