Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First post here. I recently bought and installed new cobra speedster slashdowns on my vtx 1300 C. I did not buy or install a jet kit yet. If I do not what are the consequences? Will my pipes blue?

Also, to any cobra pipe owners out there. I had trouble installing my tips. One went on way easy the other required a rubber mallet. Any suggestions on how to remove the tip that is now jammed in?

Has anyone heard of full length heat shields going blue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Yes they will blue, jet kit or not. But you won't be able to see it because of the full length heat shields. The shields don't get hot enough to blue.

My tips go on and off pretty easily if I rotate them while pushing them in or pulling them out.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
First welcome to the board. Secound nice pipes I have them & no you dont have to re-jet. As for the tips, Dont know. Mine go on & off easy. Just make sure you use some lock-tight, The blue one.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I have the Speedster shorts and have not done a jet kit. Bike runs and sounds so much better than stock. You should not have any blueing problems from the Cobra pipes since it is a full length heat shield. Just keep it clean and it will look great for a long time.

Welcome to VTXOA. THe information here is incredible and you could not ask for a better group of folks to hang out with and ask about any question of.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Welcome and :congrats: on the new pipes :thumbup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Welome to the board; All the info you need is right here.Hope you like those new pipes, I almost bought those same pipes for my bike...opted for the Bubs instead :rolleyes:...

Have Fun...Mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome aboard. Great info here.

Your pipes will probably blue, but you won't see it under the shield. I just threw some V&H BS's on my bike, heat shields are clean, pipes weren't 100%, already blue underneath but you can't see it.

It's a fact of oxidation, just keep those heat shields clean (no fingerprints, grease, grime) and they'll be fine.

Can't comment on the tips, but you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Welcome JP. I did have to remove the tip that got ceased onto the pipes. I couldn't remove them by hands. I happened to have an oil filter remover that has a metal rod and chain. The chain is used to wrap around the filter and hook onto the rod by way of a lip if you will. I think you got the picture. I stuck this rod inside the pipes and pulled it back against the inside of the pipe using this lip and with enough force to work the cap free. Don't pull too hard or you'll get this thing ****-eyed. Just remember to pull at 180 degrees from your first pull to the second (top to bottom, side to side) to prevent this thing from being ****-eyed and jamming them in further. Oh yes, hold on the the chain while you pull the rod. It may whip around and scratch your pipe. If you need further clarification, send me a message. I'll take pictures to demonstrate.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I had to send 1 tip back due to bad chrome, I loosened the sheild a little and it worked off, the way the sheild sits in relation to the pipe usually is the problem.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on those pipes, I've had them for a while now and the only issue I've encountered is bubbling chrome finish on the tips. Cobra warranty is for the life of the product so all you have to do is send them back and they will be replaced.

Your shields will not blue, they just don't get hot enough for that to happen. I am thoroughly satisfied with the pipes, they look awesome and sound great. I removed the baffles on mine about a year ago... dude, it sounds amazing! :thumbup:

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
welcome aboard!!!!! cobra's...great sounding pipes..i have the slash cut
boulavards...if you have a stubburn tips..get some very vine metal sand paper and give the inside of tip a couple of revalutions all around inside..
wipe grit out..they should go on ok..and yes "blue lock tight" when bolting in place..good luck with your ride and pipes...

·
The BuB Guy
6,538 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on the pipes.... you will be fine the heats shields in good shape will do there job....

tomb

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I've got speedster longs... love 'em.

Try riding a day with the baffles out just fun :twisted:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow. Thanks for the welcome. . . and the advice. One question though. . . and i am sure it's been asked a million times. How to keep clean? I heard steel wool but that sounds not good. Chrome polish too i guess.

BTW: also new to owning a bike. This is my first week riding.

what is the easiest way to get to the carburator? I took a quick look and at first it seemed like i would have to take the fuel tank off. But I thought, "that can't be right..." is it? (I desperately need a manual)

Also, this may help me... Does anyone know any common mstakes made when installing new exhaust? I did it myself but would like to know if i did something wrong.

·
Registered
126 Posts
wow. Thanks for the welcome. . . and the advice. One question though. . . and i am sure it's been asked a million times. How to keep clean? I heard steel wool but that sounds not good. Chrome polish too i guess.

BTW: also new to owning a bike. This is my first week riding.

what is the easiest way to get to the carburator? I took a quick look and at first it seemed like i would have to take the fuel tank off. But I thought, "that can't be right..." is it? (I desperately need a manual)

Also, this may help me... Does anyone know any common mstakes made when installing new exhaust? I did it myself but would like to know if i did something wrong.

To get to the carb you have to:

1. Take off the seat
2. Take off the tank
3. Take off the air box

Takes about 10min, just be careful when you're taking the tank off not to swing the handlebars around and ding the tank. First time I did it took longer but it's easy as pie now.

For installing new pipes you need to:

1. Take out the old gaskets
2. Put new gaskets in
3. Do the Pair valve mod(Optional, highly recommended)
4. Enjoy the new sound.

There's a lot of good info on the site. You just need to ask specific questions and you'll get good answers. Pictures help too when you have worries.

GL. Have fun. Be safe. You made a great bike choice. I've had my bike for about a month now (new rider). I've done new pipes/pair valve/new highlight bulb and I have just bought a new seat...the customization and riding are the best parts. You'll find your way :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
New (used) Cobra Slashcut Boulevards

I picked up a nearly new set of Cobra's really cheap ($100!), already assembled, but no mounting bracket or hardware. I called Cobra, and they sent me the tubular mounting bracket, some additional hardware they thought I might need, the associated bolts, etc. I've got the stock exhaust off, but for the life of me cannot figure out how to mount these things. The Cobra-supplied instructions leave a lot to be desired. (ie: they talk about removing the voltage regulator from the stock exhaust bracket - wrong! It wasn't even part of the stock exhaust. The VR is mounted behind the frame!)

Anyway, before I hire somebody to do this for me, does anyone know of an installation video source to access on the web for installing Cobra Slashcut Boulevards on a 2004 VTX 1300 R/S?

It's 72 freakin degrees out, and I'm stuck without my ride! Very frustrating. :banghead:

Thanks!

Bobby

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Really cant help because I never put Cobra pipes on before but I can tell you in stock trim the VR is mounted to the exhaust bracket

1 - 20 of 22 Posts