Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a fast background…I’ve been riding Sport bikes, UJM’s (you old enough to remember them?) and Touring bikes for 40 years. My current bikes are a GL1800 and VFR700. My wife, being vertically challenged, is into cruisers. She currently has a Vstar 650 but wants to move up in power to be able to go on longer rides with more comfort. We both like the VTX 1300 and have been test riding them among others.

Now for the questions to this forum…

It seems every cruiser I’ve ridden has a tendency to feel like it wants to “fall” into tight slow speed turns. I’m talking about circles and figure 8 parking lot speeds mostly. The feeling is like I have to keep a lot of pressure on the inside handgrip or the bike will “fold” in on itself. Are all cruisers like this? Certainly my current Wing and VFR will take a set during a turn with much less fuss.
Is there a handling difference between the retro style and the custom?

Thanks for any help given…

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
It helps me to move my weight on the seat slightly to the outside of the turn. I can even turn the big bikes around in the street.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
All the cruisers I have ridden do that. I think it just has to do with the design. On the other hand they "fall" into corners at speed also which makes them fairly easy to ride at a decent speed. The only downside being you can get in over the bike ability easier?

·
Registered
700 Posts
It just takes some getting used to, you are used to a completely different type of bike, once you ride one for a little while you won't notice it any more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help! I’m familiar with the ride like a Pro series. I have one of his videos. His instruction helped me even after I had been riding for 30+ years.

Black Hills gave me the answer I was looking for. I guess most cruisers have that “fall in the corner” type of feeling at very slow speeds. The style of bikes I rode/ride would feel more like they would hold the line I chose for the turn without having to work at very hard.

A few years ago when my vertically challenged (read short) wife decided to ride her own bike, we had to look at cruisers. She doesn’t know any other type of ride so never complains about working the handlebars so hard to hold a tight corner. I’m the one wondering why.

She will ask me to ride the new bike she’s looking at first; then tell her if she’d like it.
While riding the VTX1300, along with this slow speed thing I’m talking about, I found it was real easy to scrape the footboards. This would add a wrinkle to her learning curve (pun intended) when moving up to this size bike.

I really want this to be the last bike she gets for a while. She had a Rebel for a year and the Vstar 650 for 2 years. Now we’re looking at a 3r d bike. She keeps telling me I’ve created a monster.
I don’t know...but I think it’s my turn at a new bike.

Sorry about being so long winded.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
twin1300 said:
Get the 1300C....it doesn't feel so top heavy and great flickability. My friend has a R and he calls my ride a cutting horse compared to his. Low seat height is a plus also.

.................twin

+2

the C, it does better....

·
Registered
978 Posts
davemack said:
twin1300 said:
Get the 1300C....it doesn't feel so top heavy and great flickability. My friend has a R and he calls my ride a cutting horse compared to his. Low seat height is a plus also.

.................twin

+2

the C, it does better....
I'm the friend with the R. I love the look and styling. As far as flickability I'm getting better at low speed maneuvers. If I wanted something really nimble I would have bought the 1000RR. But I love my R!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts