Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,Newbie here and want some advice.
I have owned several Hondas but am about to buy a 2004 1800C
It has 1600 miles on it and the seller wants 7500 bucks.
Great looking bike and it runs well and shifts smooth.
Just wanted some of you pros input on things i need to check before i hand him the cash.
He knows little history on the bike.He bought it from a bank that repoed it.
The rear tire looks new and everything works.
Oil filter looks like it has not been changed in awhile..

Any input would be appreciated!

Can't post a pic yet until i get 5 posts...

·
Super Moderator
64,214 Posts
$7500 is a tad steep, you can walk into a dealer and buy a new one with a warranty for the same amount.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya! I have looked around for about a month.It seems this area everyone wants top dollar for the 1800C
Looked at another one last week with 3500 miles on it.The guy would not come off of the 8800 asking price.

Wondering if i would be better off going to a dealer with 7500 cash and try to haggle.
The one i'm looking at has a good bit of upgrades,Hard Krome pipes,Hypercharger air box,Metz wide tire and a bunch of extra chrome.New Mustang seat.Kury grips,foot pegs ect....
Trying to decide if i want a new one then fork out the bucks for all the extra parts...

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Welcome, unless you are dead set on buying that particular bike, I say shop around some more. I've noticed some very good deals coming and going in the local classifieds.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I hear ya! I have looked around for about a month.It seems this area everyone wants top dollar for the 1800C
Looked at another one last week with 3500 miles on it.The guy would not come off of the 8800 asking price.

Wondering if i would be better off going to a dealer with 7500 cash and try to haggle.
The one i'm looking at has a good bit of upgrades,Hard Krome pipes,Hypercharger air box,Metz wide tire and a bunch of extra chrome.New Mustang seat.Kury grips,foot pegs ect....
Trying to decide if i want a new one then fork out the bucks for all the extra parts...

You didn't mention all the add on in your original post and as Spike said a dealer would have a stock bike for around that $$$, but with all those add ons, that would be your call... to me $7500 for a basically new bike 1600 miles with all the above add ons would be a no-brainer for me.

Welcome, Good Luck and Enjoy

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
shop around lots of leftover's at dealer's for around same price new no miles.best bang for the buck

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
$7,500 is not too bad with the add-ons if those are the things you want on it. If you buy a bike and have to put those things on - it can add up quickly. Pipes, seats, and hypercharger could easily run you $1K.

There is an '04 1800C in the classified section for $5,500.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard choice....About everything the 3 local dealers have is 1300's in that price range.
I did find some out of state dealers with decent prices but then you got to figure the time and expense to go get it...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man,it let me post the pic....i will need to size it down but you guys can see it anyway.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts

welcome to the board.

bike looks good, plenty of extras offer the dude a little less and see what happens..

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks,
Yea he was at 7900...got him down to 7500 and he won't budge.

Got to make up my mind in the next day or two...
Going to go look it over one more time tomorrow before i hand him any money.

Tried to shrink the photo down but still working on it...sorry guys!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$7,500 is not too bad with the add-ons if those are the things you want on it. If you buy a bike and have to put those things on - it can add up quickly. Pipes, seats, and hypercharger could easily run you $1K.

There is an '04 1800C in the classified section for $5,500.
Thanks i will check out the classified section...

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
1st off, WELCOME!!!! So it looks like U got it?? Sharp Bike :thumbup:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Kevin...
Have not bought it yet but supposed to get it this week.
The seller is 5 minutes from me i just have not decided for sure.
He did let me do a 30 minute test drive and it runs and shifts great.
The brake pads look good.I think its due an oil change but overall its in good shape.
There are a ton of 1300's around in the 5500 to 6500 range but my gut keeps telling me to get the 1800...
Decisions,decisions....:dontknow:

My brother has a 05 1300 and i like the ride of the 1800 better.It may just be my imagination..

Here is a link to more pics if you guys don't mind looking it over...Thanks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...arms=tab=Watching&item=160306346006&viewitem=

·
Registered
694 Posts
Welcome to the board! I am a relative newcomer myself, but I find there is a lot of really good advice here.

The $7500 sounds to me like an okay deal...not great, not bad. And if you really like the particular bike, go for it. Sometimes I will buy something different from what I really wanted just because it's a better deal and end up kicking myself for it.

Good luck!

-Mike-

2003 VTX1300

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
2004 1800C
It has 1600 miles on it and the seller wants 7500 bucks.

...things i need to check before i hand him the cash.

He knows little history on the bike.He bought it from a bank that repoed it.

Any input would be appreciated!

Can't post a pic yet until i get 5 posts...
Not very many miles for an '04. I'm sure others will chime in, but I would check battery connections, hoses for cracking, rust in fuel tank, etc. As for price, seems high. Sounds like the guy bought the repo in order to make a buck. Nothing wrong with that, but see if he'll budge on the price.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Do a search on Ebay. There are ten 1800's on there for less money.

But, it is your money. If you want that bike go for it...

John

·
Senior Pirate
7,737 Posts
Gary, Welcome to the board. If you were confused about the bike before you posted just wait till you read all the responses.:yikes:

The price is average for a bike with those add ons. If you fall in love with it, there is nothing that is going to change your mind and you will pay his price. Personally, I would offer 7K and get a better deal IF those are the mods you want. He NEEDS to sell the bike but you don't NEED to buy it. (do you?). Have patience and he'll bargain. I may be wrong.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts