Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_0107.JPG

Bought my 09 about six years ago and haven't started or rode it in a year. Thought I had ran the gas out of the carb, guess I didn't. Now it will only run while the choke is out. Planning on draining the tank and try to clean the jets in the carb. Hopefully I can get some rides in before winter hits here in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Welcome. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
1300 does not do well when sitting for a year.
Ethanol does its dirty magic.
Drain tank. You may want to spray some carb cleaner into the fuel hose.
Pull it off the petcock, spray into hose.
That may help break something loose.
Worst case is you have to remove carb and clean.

I find it easier to remove the speedo cluster and hang it with a wire or string from right handlebar.
Remove vac hose, remove fuel hose, remove 3 screws below the fuel cap, remove fuel cap.
Lift lower end slightly, push forward to handle bar, raise the speedo cluster.
Tie it up.
MAKE SURE THE TANK IS NEAR EMPTY....
Remove rear tank bolt. Raise it slightly, the tank vent hose may slide off now
at right-rear near the seat. Pull back on the tank and lift it out of the way.

Good luck! Welcome to the VTXOA.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Agree, the tank is now gummed up with the "gummint syrup" that hardened over the summer and you need to physically remove it. Be careful cleaning the jets, don't just bore them with drill bits. :)
Hope you can get it done quickly and painlessly to enjoy the cold winter that just rolled up on us. It is already FREEZING down here in TX (anything below room temperature is "freezing" down here). We went from 100F+ to 58F in a week. Sucks. No fall for us. Only winter. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Let us know how it goes. Hope she purrs like a kitten afterwards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'm sure the tank is gummed up also. I did put some Seafoam in when I did park it, but after a year, I can only imagine. What is a good method on cleaning the tank?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lou_VTX, I know what you mean on the weather. Here in Oklahoma its like we just have 2 seasons. Hot and Cold. Spring this year lasted a week and Fall isn't looking too good either. Lol

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Welcome to the board where your questions will be answered

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
The tank usually has a rust problem . Do you see rust???

Check the petcock vacuum hose. They split on the inside and can cause a fuel flow issue.
Carb float, needle valve and the tiny holes on the emulsion tube usually clogs.
Jet probably gunked up.
Fine wire and spray cleaner .

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Lou_VTX, I know what you mean on the weather. Here in Oklahoma its like we just have 2 seasons. Hot and Cold. Spring this year lasted a week and Fall isn't looking too good either. Lol
Yeah, can't agree more.
We're hoping for an Indian summer .... crap ... can I say that nowadays or will Antifa kock in my front door?? 😱

Anyway, hoping it will warm up some, need to dust off all 3 bikes to ride some more before first freeze.
Let us know how your carb cleaning works. I gotta do the same damn thing (thanks to the greedy asshats in the government) on 4 engines now. I planned on "summerizing" them in June but got sick and could not do it and then it got so dang hot, I just gave up. So all 4 carbs are full of shit now again. Dammit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tank usually has a rust problem . Do you see rust???

Check the petcock vacuum hose. They split on the inside and can cause a fuel flow issue.
Carb float, needle valve and the tiny holes on the emulsion tube usually clogs.
Jet probably gunked up.
Fine wire and spray cleaner .
Well I finally cleaned the garage and was able to get the VTX out. Opened the gas tank and yes, its got rust and crap floating inside the tank. So the next project is to drain the tank and figure a way to clean the rust out. Then probably going to pull the carb and all of the fuel lines. Not going to be fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts