Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX1800C
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I'm new here and kinda new to forums but I just bought my first bike. I bought a 2002 VTX1800C. So far I have ridden around my town a little and this thing is a BEAST. So for this post I just wanted to say hi and I'm looking forward to hearing from all you. Talk to you soon

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
where are you from?

I just pulled my 2005 out of storage after 15 years and started riding it again..

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
Welcome....Pay attention to what the other 1800 riders tell u...thats a hell of a starter bike...goodluck

Reactions: 10Ring

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I agree on the starter bike idea.
Listen and learn...and dont spend any money till u have asked here first......be safe

Reactions: Maechyll and 10Ring

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX1800C
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So when I went looking for my first bike I wanted a bike I could buy once and never out grow. I knew I wanted a VTX. I love the look. I am also 6'1 and 325 lbs. So I wanted something that could carry me around lol. Eventually my wife will ride with me and she is about 200. So I wanted to be able to ride without worrying about power going up hills. This was the exact bike I was looking for. It is a 2002 fuel injection liquid cooled, illusion blue (which is insanely beautiful) original owner with only 12k miles. Bike is crazy clean. Still has rear original tire lol. So that is a little about me and my new toy.

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Welcome to the VTXOA!
Get rid of the old tires. ASAP.
Five to six years is the limit.
Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) have been failing for years.
Check for gas smell in crankcase. Pull a vacuum from FPR, see if gas comes out.
Read other threads on 1800 tech board and the How To Step by Step board.
Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX1800C
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the VTXOA!
Get rid of the old tires. ASAP.
Five to six years is the limit.
Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) have been failing for years.
Check for gas smell in crankcase. Pull a vacuum from FPR, see if gas comes out.
Read other threads on 1800 tech board and the How To Step by Step board.
Enjoy the ride!
Awesome thanks so much

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Welcome Newb, I have been running my '02 18C since March of '05. Been riding bikes since 1970 and have had a ton of them. While I still have a couple of them, most have come and gone. The X is surely one of my favorites. Go easy, and enjoy.

Reactions: VTX NEWBIE

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
So when I went looking for my first bike I wanted a bike I could buy once and never out grow. I knew I wanted a VTX. I love the look. I am also 6'1 and 325 lbs. So I wanted something that could carry me around lol. Eventually my wife will ride with me and she is about 200. So I wanted to be able to ride without worrying about power going up hills. This was the exact bike I was looking for. It is a 2002 fuel injection liquid cooled, illusion blue (which is insanely beautiful) original owner with only 12k miles. Bike is crazy clean. Still has rear original tire lol. So that is a little about me and my new toy.
First, welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. 2nd, GET RID of that tire! Rubber gets hard after 4-5 years regardless of tread left, losing its gripping ability in turns, braking, accellerating. Micro dry rot beginning. Definitely not safe! These beasts are really dependent on a fully charged healthy electrical system, so after charging up your battery, remove it and take it to an auto parts store that will do a 100 amp automotive load test, NOT a standard 20 amp MC test!.. It can be putting out 12+ volts but still have a weak cell or 2 and will leave you sitting or worse. Another problem that has developed over the past several years, and it's due to age, not hi or lo miles, is the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). Be pro-active and spend $40 for one, and change asap. Check your dipstick- if it has a strong fuel smell, don't ride it until you change the FPR, change the oil -and- filter, then run it around the block and change the oil a 2nd time to rid all contamination from the engine. The little diaphragm inside the FPR cracks from aging, and bleeds raw fuel into the crankcase past the pistons & rings. You will notice hard starting, erratic idle & performance, fuel mileage will be cut IN HALF. Strong fuel smell from exhaust, unburnt. Only run 87 octane fuel. Tire pressure 40 psi, then adjust up-down from there. While the OEM shocks can handle the weight of both, you may want to consider a new set of Progressive or air ride if your wallet allows. All fluids on the bike are hygroscopic, meaning they draw moisture, not good! They need changing every 2-3 years for optimum performance. Clutch, brake, coolant, final drive oil, forks. Moly paste NOT grease, for the final drive splines every 10K. This will get you started, and all your questions will be answered here by better folks than me.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX1800C
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well a bit far from me, but if you and your X are ever in SoCal, hit me up for some cruising.
Absolutely. I can't wait to meet new people who love to just ride.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX1800C
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First, welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. 2nd, GET RID of that tire! Rubber gets hard after 4-5 years regardless of tread left, losing its gripping ability in turns, braking, accellerating. Micro dry rot beginning. Definitely not safe! These beasts are really dependent on a fully charged healthy electrical system, so after charging up your battery, remove it and take it to an auto parts store that will do a 100 amp automotive load test, NOT a standard 20 amp MC test!.. It can be putting out 12+ volts but still have a weak cell or 2 and will leave you sitting or worse. Another problem that has developed over the past several years, and it's due to age, not hi or lo miles, is the fuel pressure regulator (FPR). Be pro-active and spend $40 for one, and change asap. Check your dipstick- if it has a strong fuel smell, don't ride it until you change the FPR, change the oil -and- filter, then run it around the block and change the oil a 2nd time to rid all contamination from the engine. The little diaphragm inside the FPR cracks from aging, and bleeds raw fuel into the crankcase past the pistons & rings. You will notice hard starting, erratic idle & performance, fuel mileage will be cut IN HALF. Strong fuel smell from exhaust, unburnt. Only run 87 octane fuel. Tire pressure 40 psi, then adjust up-down from there. While the OEM shocks can handle the weight of both, you may want to consider a new set of Progressive or air ride if your wallet allows. All fluids on the bike are hygroscopic, meaning they draw moisture, not good! They need changing every 2-3 years for optimum performance. Clutch, brake, coolant, final drive oil, forks. Moly paste NOT grease, for the final drive splines every 10K. This will get you started, and all your questions will be answered here by better folks than me.
Thank you so much for all that. I never would have guessed. I will definitely start working on those. I truly appreciate all the info.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX1800C
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey seems how everyone is in agreement on changing those tires what are the best ones out there?? I was looking at Michelin Commander 3. What do you all run?

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
Welcome to the board. And to motorcycling. If you haven't already I would suggest you sign up for a Motorcycle Foundation Course. It will teach you not only how to ride safely but also things to look out for and how to do that...constantly. You'll learn correct technique that you can build on, instead of starting out wrong and compounding mistakes.

Your point about wanting something that you won't outgrow is a good one but be aware that such a bike has more capability than your present skills may be able to deal with. Spend some time in parking lots doing slow speed maneuvering, especially given that you will be riding with your wife on the back. Lots of folks get hurt going slowly, the ground is unforgiving. The "Ride Like a Pro" DVDs, taught by a former police motor officer are great for this.

Beyond that, enjoy your bike and take some time to get to know it through riding it and reading here. There is a wealth of information to be had here as well as other sites that have featured the VTX for nearly two decades now. One such site is bareasschoppers.com where you can search for and find a lot of technical how-to's for the VTX, just as you can on this site in our own technical sections. Bare used to be a member here is as knowledgeable about the VTX as anyone. As are many of the members that are still here.

And finally, as others have said, change those tires. First! Michelins are good, and so are Avons, Dunlops, and others but be aware that there are conflicting opinions in this area just as there are in "what's the best oil to use?". Find a known brand for a good price and you'll likely have made a good choice.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts