Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2004 VTX 1300c. I am wanting to put some 10" Z Bars on it similar to what is seen here here.

I know you have to go with longer cables and such for much taller bars, I was wondering if anyone had bars similar to those I linked above and could tell me. I don't really want to order those bars and then be stuck waiting another couple weeks because I then need to order cables/lines as well.

Thanks in advance for the information.

FlynJ - Jason

·
Super Moderator
64,293 Posts
If you want the job to look like it belongs on the bike, you should do what is called a "Mock-up". Meaning, you get the bars and install them and place them in the position you will be riding with them. Then mount all the controls, grips, switch housings, throttle, brake master cylinder and clutch lever on the bars(without the cables/hoses/wires attached)
Now take a solid core wire and use that wire to make your brake hose by taping the wire to the brake master cylinder and run it to where the stock line attaches to. Tape it in place there and then get on the bike and move the bars from lock to lock and make sure the wire does not stretch or bind up. When you have it in a good position, then mark the wire and measure it from the marks. NOW you can order that brake hose. Repeat this for each cable/hose you need to custom order. Why all this? Because;
A. Once you order a custom part, it is yours, no returns
B. You want it to look good on the bike and not have droopy wires/cables/hoses

For the electrical wires, just be sure to stagger your splice cuts. If you cut them all in the same spot, you end up with a HUGE bump in the wire loom from all the wire splice connectors being in that same spot. Looks like a snake that just swallowed a rabbit = not pretty

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
The "C" model is unique in the bars..
They have a double "T" with built in Risers....
There are some adapters out there to switch to Clamp style (Harley & R models) type (I think).....

Also you have to mock it up.
Put bars on and THEN measure for Brake line, Cables (Throttle & Clutch) etc etc..
Then there is the electrical..
No pre-made Looms available.
You have to cut and solder on extension wires and run them by hand...
Its not a job for the faint of heart!!!!!

That was my plan also (apes) but it is now on the back burner due to expense (a lot more then its worth IMO).. and down time...
I have gotten pretty used to my 3" risers...... :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "C" model is unique in the bars..
They have a double "T" with built in Risers....
There are some adapters out there to switch to Clamp style (Harley & R models) type (I think).....

Also you have to mock it up.
Put bars on and THEN measure for Brake line, Cables (Throttle & Clutch) etc etc..
Then there is the electrical..
No pre-made Looms available.
You have to cut and solder on extension wires and run them by hand...
Its not a job for the faint of heart!!!!!

That was my plan also (apes) but it is now on the back burner due to expense (a lot more then its worth IMO).. and down time...
I have gotten pretty used to my 3" risers...... :(

Interesting, that means someone has already done this. The bike currently has actual handlebar risers with separate handlebars mounted in them. I'm headed into a meeting, will post a pic (if I can) after I get out.

FlynJ - Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you...

If you want the job to look like it belongs on the bike, you should do what is called a "Mock-up". Meaning, you get the bars and install them and place them in the position you will be riding with them. Then mount all the controls, grips, switch housings, throttle, brake master cylinder and clutch lever on the bars(without the cables/hoses/wires attached)
Now take a solid core wire and use that wire to make your brake hose by taping the wire to the brake master cylinder and run it to where the stock line attaches to. Tape it in place there and then get on the bike and move the bars from lock to lock and make sure the wire does not stretch or bind up. When you have it in a good position, then mark the wire and measure it from the marks. NOW you can order that brake hose. Repeat this for each cable/hose you need to custom order. Why all this? Because;
A. Once you order a custom part, it is yours, no returns
B. You want it to look good on the bike and not have droopy wires/cables/hoses

For the electrical wires, just be sure to stagger your splice cuts. If you cut them all in the same spot, you end up with a HUGE bump in the wire loom from all the wire splice connectors being in that same spot. Looks like a snake that just swallowed a rabbit = not pretty
Thank you for taking the time to post this... Makes complete sense.... I ordered my bars, should be here next Thursday, so the weather will determine if I start the mock up or ride :) We're supposed to get in the 40's all next week and the snow is supposed to melt off, which would mean RIDING. I'm sure I can find time for the mock up, as we're still due for a few more good snows here in Montana before May/June. Thanks again for the information.

FlynJ - Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts