Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made lowers awhile ago but I just wasn't happy with them. I decided I wanted them longer so I started again.

This is my first set of lowers. Pretty plain, but did the job.

These are the ones I just finished and mounted this morning.

Another pic

I decided to tint them to match my windshield and then the clear turn signal lens stuck out so I tinted that too.

I'm pretty happy with them and I just wanted to share them with some people who will appreciate the work. :p

·
Registered
281 Posts
what clamps are you useing

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
281 Posts
what i thought the stores around here dont carry them special order lol
5 days to get them in

thanks

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what i thought the stores around here dont carry them special order lol
5 days to get them in

thanks

There's a Fastenal store close-by but the clamps weren't in stock. They ordered them by phone and they came in the next day.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Nice job!! I just checked and I have a store within a couple miles of my work. :thumbup:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$5.48 is the Wholesale price..........which I can't get. I'm pretty sure the bag of 10 (and I had to buy the whole bag) was around $12 retail. But even at that, when I look at my lowers I think they'd cost $150 with clamps and all.

·
Registered
469 Posts
They look pretty sweet with the flame pattern. I've been thinking of doing something similar but don't the right tools...

I notice that you're clamping at a localized spot near the top portion of the lowers. Are the bottom portions of the lowers unsupported? If so, do they move around a lot at higher speeds or hold in place well?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Can the general public buy from Fastenal?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They look pretty sweet with the flame pattern. I've been thinking of doing something similar but don't the right tools...

I notice that you're clamping at a localized spot near the top portion of the lowers. Are the bottom portions of the lowers unsupported? If so, do they move around a lot at higher speeds or hold in place well?
The lowers are clamped to the fork tubes just over and under the bottom tree. I was worried about the clamps being to close but it's not a problem. You can't put a clamp low under the bottom tree because of shock travel. Today I did 5 miles at 80 mph just to see if they'd move around and they were good.

I was concerned about flex too because they're 12" long, so I used aluminum angle stock from Lowes and ran it the full length of the lower. I also heated the plastic and put a slight radius on it for additional strength and it looks better than being flat.

You don't need any special tools. A hack saw to cut the metal, a drill and some bits to make holes, a saber saw with a 10 teeth per inch blade to cut the plastic, a file and some sand paper to sand the edges, an oven to heat the plastic (best to do this when your wife isn't home), and a smooth side trash barrel to lay it on to get the bend.

Fastenal has a local store and they sold to me. I just walked in.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Looks very good. I may have to redo mine. I definitely want to get some clamps like that.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I thought my homemade lowers looked pretty good until I saw yours. Yours make mine look like they were made in 11th grade shop class. Nice Job!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought my homemade lowers looked pretty good until I saw yours. Yours make mine look like they were made in 11th grade shop class. Nice Job!
Thanks. I learned a lot from making the first set which were pretty plain.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I stopped the air coming up leg and body with lowers.

I have a fairing and a very tall windshield and still have air flow making noise in my helmet. I could cross my left arm across my chest to stop the noise. I made lowers similar to the thread. Now when I cross my arm across my chest there is no air flow to stop. Problem solved. The lowers are 12 1/2 X 7 inches wide. Rather an over kill but I wanted to make sure to stop the air. The cut out is to clear the highway bar in a turn. With the clamps in the thread it is hard for the aluminum supports to miss the lower tubes. A clamp with more offset is the Fastenal 0708814, it also has a larger bolt hole. You can order individual clamps from their web site and pay the UPS shipping about $8
Lower.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Very sharp indeed ... excellent job ... prolly a bunch of us will be making them now.
I;d love to get that wind off me
mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts