Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to pass this along FYI.
If you have new leather boots, shoes etc that are rather stiff and hard to conform, put the boot/shoe on and right where you need it to soften a bit to your foot, take some regular rubbing alcohol to that spot and the leather will relax and shape where you need it. As for breaking in, put some where the shoe flexes as you walk. When the alcohol evaporates your shoe should fit better. Don't forget to treat the leather with an oil like mink or conditioner you like and occasional polish.
If you do old school and stand in water it will dry out the leather taking the natural oils with it.

This has been your PSA for today. :)

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Will give the alcohol a try. Generally use Neatsfoot oil, then spray boot silicone. They are waterproof yet when new still stiff and need breaking in..

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
So you're supposed to break your boots in, and not your feet???!!! :banghead:

I been doing it wrong then for years. :wink2:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Alcohol will dry the leather out. It removes the oils at least as fast as water will. That is why we always recommended the shoe creams as opposed to the liquid bottles with the sponge (they contained alcohol) back when I sold shoes for a living.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
So you're supposed to break your boots in, and not your feet???!!! :banghead:

I been doing it wrong then for years. :wink2:

Yeah, me too. I have had two foot surgeries to prove it also. Of course it didn't help that Uncle Sam's brand issued were not the best to begin with. >:)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Will give the alcohol a try. Generally use Neatsfoot oil, then spray boot silicone. They are waterproof yet when new still stiff and need breaking in..
Careful with OTS Neatsfoot Oil - most are Petroleum based
Read the label and make sure you get 100% Pure Neatsfool Oil

Angelus, Feibings Brand and a few others are true Neatsfoot Oil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neatsfoot_oil

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know what ya mean fender.
Last year I bought some steel toe boots for work and both my big toes got callus because the fit was too tight. After a few whacks with the sledge, I think its finally worked out, but since I lost my job in Feb who knows.

They gave me a better fit than the expensive red back boots from the tool truck.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Good info, here! Thanks!!

·
Registered
857 Posts
A good water proofing for boots is a melted wax ring. Yep, the one used on toilet seats. Very inexpensive if your friends with a plumber.:nerd:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts