Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Happy Holidays.
Unfortunately for me, I've got a 1300 T that I has been a garage for a year. I just recharged the battery (Which wasn't dead), but she wont turn over. I have the bike in neutral with the kickstand down (as I normally start it) and the choke pulled out. Mixed in 2 gallons of fresh gas. It tries to turn over, but doesn't, if i press the starter too long, just tons of clicks. So its got power, not sure if its just bad gas in the tanks. I didn't think Los angeles weather would take a too much of a toll. I'm lucky, and busy, the mototcycle has 3500 miles on it, never had a maintenance issue before.

Any tips, or suggestions would be helpful! merry christmas

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Welcome to the forum avinash. I'm also in Los Angeles. Gas fouling probably isn't an issue - I've had bikes and cars sit for a year and start - though it doesn't help. I suspect the battery. First thing I would do is make sure both terminals are clean and tight. When you turn on the ignition, does the headlight come up nice and bright? How about when you hit the start button, does the headlight dim considerably? Just for kicks, I would take it to Autozone, and have them test/charge it for free. You can drop it off there and let is charge for a few hours. I thought I had a good battery before putting the bike up on a lift for a couple of months, but turns out it wouldn't hold a charge. That would be my first course of action. Keep us posted.

Merry Christmas

Eric

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
get the battery LOAD TESTED... just because it has power.. does not MEAN it has all the power to start a 1300 cc 2 cylinder engine..

any good auto parts store can test it.. make sure the test is a 100 amp load test... otherwise a BAD TEST.....

all so many NEW-bee's get this wrong..... Hundreds..... do a search.... you will see..

AND Welcome..

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Hey Guys, Happy Holidays.
Unfortunately for me, I've got a 1300 T that I has been a garage for a year. I just recharged the battery (Which wasn't dead), but she wont turn over. I have the bike in neutral with the kickstand down (as I normally start it) and the choke pulled out. Mixed in 2 gallons of fresh gas. It tries to turn over, but doesn't, if i press the starter too long, just tons of clicks. So its got power, not sure if its just bad gas in the tanks. I didn't think Los angeles weather would take a too much of a toll. I'm lucky, and busy, the mototcycle has 3500 miles on it, never had a maintenance issue before.

Any tips, or suggestions would be helpful! merry christmas
Please help me understand what you mean by "Tries to turn over". Some use this term to mean, "Battery is near dead and won't turn the starter motor, so the engine does not turn over." Other use the term to mean, "Battery has plenty of power and turns the starter motor, but the engine won't fire." Common confusion. Your post seems to say that the motor is turning, it just won't fire.

Are you sure the petcock is open. Pointing down is normal; Pointing up is reserve on; Pointing straight to the front of the bike is off. Some have had a petcock diaphragm issue due to vacuum leak. (the diaphragm won't open due to no vacuum pressure, this means no gas to the engine.) Check your vacuum lines. Others will expand on this.

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
Welcome to the VTXOA..

You may want to remove the battery cables from the battery and wire brush
the battery post and cable lug that make contact(mating surfaces).

If you have a voltmeter--check the voltage while trying to crank.
If it drops below 9.5 volts then it is BAD.

The Starter Switch (when depressed)will open the headlight circuit and Turn OFF
the headlight during a crank attempt.

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/starter.html

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/faqs.php?action=1&id=30

Merry Christmas VTXOA Members!

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Hook a jumper cable between a car and the bike and see if it starts. If it starts, then its your battery and I would suggest you replace it. Based on my experience once you let a bike battery go down it hard to get them back to peak performance. You may also want to think about getting a battery tender with a float charge to keep your battery from draining down over long storage periods. JMHO

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
All of above is good advise. If all else fails you might need to clean the carb. The jets might be plugged.

Welcome to the VTXOA from the southeast corner of NC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions!

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'll be working on this today, I'll keep you all posted, Seems like I'll be checking on the battery first! Oh, and thanks for welcome!

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Please help me understand what you mean by "Tries to turn over". Some use this term to mean, "Battery is near dead and won't turn the starter motor, so the engine does not turn over." Other use the term to mean, "Battery has plenty of power and turns the starter motor, but the engine won't fire." Common confusion. Your post seems to say that the motor is turning, it just won't fire.

Are you sure the petcock is open. Pointing down is normal; Pointing up is reserve on; Pointing straight to the front of the bike is off. Some have had a petcock diaphragm issue due to vacuum leak. (the diaphragm won't open due to no vacuum pressure, this means no gas to the engine.) Check your vacuum lines. Others will expand on this.
:agree: If the engine "tries" to turn over but doesn't and you just get clicks has to be electrical (most likely battery). But if it turns over good but won't even sound like it wants to fire then check spark. If it tries to start but won't stay running, rough running, dying, carb, gas would be the issue. Good luck and you came to the right place for help.

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
BEWARE!

I believe if you jump from a car, be sure the car/truck is NOT running.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Won't start

Pull your battery and have it load tested. It will probably show that one or more cells are dead (an internal short).
Get a new battery, you can' just let these sit without starting them on a regular basis.
Good luck

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you find that a new battery is in order, invest a little extra and put on a battery tender. They're worth their weight in gold. Even if you don't need a battery, put a tender on anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts