Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I just bought a 2003 VTX 1800C with Vance and Hines exhaust and a power commander. Pretty much stock aside from those. Already loving this beast more than I imagined. Had a Meanstreak before this and the VTX has far surpassed expectation. Anyway, I've read so many older posts concerning remedies for the handlebar reach issues. I'm 5'10 and about 175lbs and I am looking for a solution involving a new seat for the wife and I, and a set of risers (preferably without having to buy longer cables). I'm not as concerned with the height of the bars, maybe an inch or 2 would be great, it's the pullback that I'd like to have about 4" more on. Any help or maybe pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
This is what I used. You won't get 4" of pullback though without replacing the cables. You would probably have to have something custom to get that much.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com..._for_VTX_1800_C_F_p/am-3490p.htm&Redirected=Y

These Aeromach risers are available from several different vendors at varying prices. This link is just to show you what I used.
They look great , make a very noticeable difference in the position and it took about 15 minutes to install them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I used. You won't get 4" of pullback though without replacing the cables. You would probably have to have something custom to get that much.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com..._for_VTX_1800_C_F_p/am-3490p.htm&Redirected=Y

These Aeromach risers are available from several different vendors at varying prices. This link is just to show you what I used.
They look great , make a very noticeable difference in the position and it took about 15 minutes to install them.
Thanks Hawkvtx, I have looked at those but wasn't sure if the difference would be noticeable. I also looked at the Rivco 6" and the PhatPerformance III's, but again, you can't tell much from pics of parts laying on a table. The return policy on all this stuff is so tight, I'm just trying to avoid eating the cost of something that doesn't work.

·
Super Moderator
64,656 Posts
You can do the 6 inch pullback risers from either Aeromach or Rivco on the C model and many hundreds of us did just that. I went with Aeromach on my C and it got rid of my shoulder pain/ache. Yes, they worked with the OEM hoses and cables

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can do the 6 inch pullback risers from either Aeromach or Rivco on the C model and many hundreds of us did just that. I went with Aeromach on my C and it got rid of my shoulder pain/ache. Yes, they worked with the OEM hoses and cables
I was actually just on Phat Performance's site looking at the Aeromach. Appears they have a slight advantage on rise and pullback compared to the Rivco (per the mfg descriptions). Think I am just going to stop wondering and just twist the throttle and buy them... What about a seat? I'm looking at Ultimate vs Mustang, dual seat with driver's backrest.
I was 99% Ultimate until I read some threads about water ruining the foam in them (Ultimate seats), but only having to let a Mustang dry and it going back to normal.
I'd hate to pay more for something that I am more likely to ruin accidentally, ya know? Any insight on that area ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
2003 1800r

Awwww man, I just got a set of 2003 1800C risers off of ebay to get some relief from the stock 1800R set-up... Wondering if I wasted my $40.00 (Just got them in the mail today)

·
Super Moderator
64,656 Posts
Awwww man, I just got a set of 2003 1800C risers off of ebay to get some relief from the stock 1800R set-up... Wondering if I wasted my $40.00 (Just got them in the mail today)
The R and C have very different risers. Retro owners go with the OEM C model risers to achieve the same effect of shoulder relief. You did the right thing :thumbup:

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
It all depends on how big you are. I'm 6'1" and 205 lbs, I find that even at my heaviest 250 lbs the Mustang was good for me. Best thing is to find a few local folks and ask to sit on their bikes for test feel. Look for good used ones of either and save some $$$ BTW, you should love the 6 inch Aeromachs, hopefully you ordered the ones for the C, they are machined with a slight relief and you don't need caps :thumbup:
I was actually just on Phat Performance's site looking at the Aeromach. Appears they have a slight advantage on rise and pullback compared to the Rivco (per the mfg descriptions). Think I am just going to stop wondering and just twist the throttle and buy them... What about a seat? I'm looking at Ultimate vs Mustang, dual seat with driver's backrest.
I was 99% Ultimate until I read some threads about water ruining the foam in them (Ultimate seats), but only having to let a Mustang dry and it going back to normal.
I'd hate to pay more for something that I am more likely to ruin accidentally, ya know? Any insight on that area ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jon, I ordered the Aeromach risers about 10 min after my last post, so we'll see how it goes. I figure there have been too many positive posts about them to not give them a shot. Decided I'm going Mustang on the seat, and agree on buying used if possible and saving that money for future mods (Really want a front fairing with speakers eventually). Plus I just bought the bike, tires, risers, and have to spring for an oil change and brake pads front and back. SO to stay married I need to cut a few corners where possible. My Lord, have you seen the prices on a Quadrzilla fairing...probably not happening anytime soon haha

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
I would go with a Woody's myself or a Wide Open Custom myself. I have a WOC but have customers with the Woody's and like them

·
Registered
12,094 Posts
Thanks Hawkvtx, I have looked at those but wasn't sure if the difference would be noticeable. I also looked at the Rivco 6" and the PhatPerformance III's, but again, you can't tell much from pics of parts laying on a table. The return policy on all this stuff is so tight, I'm just trying to avoid eating the cost of something that doesn't work.
I'm 5'10", 200plus. First thing I did to my C was get the Rivco 6".. NO replacing cables or hoses. GREAT improvement!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Yep, after buying my 1800R and riding it for just a little while I found that riding for anything over an hour had my shoulders sore the next day. I went with the factory C risers on mine and was able to use the cap from the R so I still have the solid top and it looks good. The difference was night and day. I have been able to ride 600 miles with no shoulder pain at all. The cables fit good and the bike handles well.

As for a seat, my bike came with a Corbin Young Guns seat and when I first sat on the bike it was like setting "In" the bike. It sits well and I can stand flat footed while stopped with no problem. I'm 5'10 by the way. The seat did seem to be a bit hard when I first rode the bike, but it is plenty soft enough that I was able to do the 600 miles with no pain and I'm not used to riding that long all in one sitting. So I would recommend the Corbin as a good seat as well.

I also did want to mention that I rode the first 3 hours of the 600 miles in a steady rain and the seat did not have any problems even with the rain.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have to wonder what Honda was thinking with all the complaints with reach on certain models. Seems like the most popular remedy for a lot of riders is aftermarket risers by companies not named Honda, so it's not like they are making money on the back end? Love the 1800, just a thought.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've been riding my 2002 1800c for 14 years (51K miles) and still love it. Over that time I've done tons of mods and I'll give you my top 3 favorites:

1. Progressive front fork springs. Unbelievable how much better it drives and rides.

2. Ultimate seats. I've had Corbin and Mustang and the Ultimate was worth it. I'm 6' and 235 and can ride all day plus the passenger pad is great. Regarding water, you can't soak these seats like Corbin - if it's going to sit in the rain or ride a long time in the rain, put the seat rain cover on. I keep mine in the garage and on trips I either park under something or put a cover on the bike at night. No water problems.

3. Exhaust and breather - I love my Cobra pipes and I'm using a breather from a company that is no more, but a K&N filter is part of it. But with those changes you need a new fuel management and if you don't get a Power Commander now, you'll get one later.

I guess you have to balance the mods between
a) performance
b) comfort
c) looks

Another big one for me was forward controls. I can't imagine having my feet straight down like a stock bike. And yes, I also put 6" risers on and the stock cables were not a problem. Pulls the bars back nicely.

Good luck and enjoy riding.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm a shade over 5 foot seven and weigh about 195. First things I bought were the Rivco risers and Mustang seat. Best purchases I ever made

·
Registered
477 Posts
I put 4 inch risers on my bike. I will tell you that the hoses and wiring barely made it. 6 in would never have had made it. Made a big difference with my ride. I highly recommend them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.