Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, I purchased an 02 illusion blue 1800r a month or so ago and after finding so much good info here I decided to become a member. Love the bike, runs and rides great. I've had many Hondas through the years but this one makes me and the lady very happy (she wasn't a fan of the passenger accomodations on my rc51). Really looking forward to some long rides this summer and hopefully a few very minor tweaks to make the bike my own.

One of the first things on my mind is the exhaust. It might sound a little backwards but I'd actually like to go back to stock. My bike currently has Vance and Hines pipes that are quite loud which isn't normally a bad thing but gets a little tiresome after an hour or so at 80mph. I'd like to find a set of stock R pipes and I'd be happy to trade someone the Vance and Hines set straight across, I pay shipping on both sides, otherwise if anyone has a set for sale send me a message.
Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
12,103 Posts
Howdy all, I purchased an 02 illusion blue 1800r a month or so ago and after finding so much good info here I decided to become a member. Love the bike, runs and rides great. I've had many Hondas through the years but this one makes me and the lady very happy (she wasn't a fan of the passenger accomodations on my rc51). Really looking forward to some long rides this summer and hopefully a few very minor tweaks to make the bike my own.

One of the first things on my mind is the exhaust. It might sound a little backwards but I'd actually like to go back to stock. My bike currently has Vance and Hines pipes that are quite loud which isn't normally a bad thing but gets a little tiresome after an hour or so at 80mph. I'd like to find a set of stock R pipes and I'd be happy to trade someone the Vance and Hines set straight across, I pay shipping on both sides, otherwise if anyone has a set for sale send me a message. View attachment 204040
Vance/ Hines makes a "quiet baffle" that tones it down some, but still sounds badass when you let 'er rip!

Reactions: DirtyDave02R

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I have Vance & Hines pipes on my 1800 and the sound never bothered me, granted I don't do much highway riding.
My cbr1000rr on the other hand...it's loud lol
I have gone to wearing earplugs while riding the cbr to save my hearing.
You might consider (if you haven't already) trying some earplugs, there certainly cheaper then a new exhaust :p
I'm using some from a company called Ear Peace, cost around $30, well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Howdy from Texas and congratulations on your nice VTX!
If you have more pictures, do not be afraid to post them, we are suckers for pictures!

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
Welcome to the VTXOA.
Baffles... One member used sink strainers and a flat washer aka lollipop to reduce sound pressure level.
A stack of bar sink strainers with a 1/4" to 3/8" threaded rod in the middle could be a baffle.

1st Gen 1800 R 02-03 have a Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) that has failed frequently.
You can check by pulling a vacuum on it. If the diaphragm fails fuel could leak into
the cylinders via intake manifold vacuum connection to FPR.

Reactions: DirtyDave02R
1 - 6 of 6 Posts