Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vtx 1800 Tire 205-65/r16

Hello, I haven’t seen anyone comment on two tires I have my eye on. If something looks off about them let me know. Ideally, I’d like symmetrical tread, if not I’d just go with General Rt43. These two tires below look like they would shed water fine, but idk if people have had problems running them. Most Darkside tire discussions are old and those tires are being discontinued or limiting the size. Thanks!

Size 205-65 r16

Hankook Kinergy 4s2

Michelin Crossclimate 2

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
Welcome....]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Honestly non dark siders don’t need to chime in lol. I’ve searched a bunch but was hoping to see newer options. I don’t want my first dark side to be a headache or perform poorly.

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
See post #2..............

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Thanks! Waiting for them to chime in.
I'm used to it for a number of years now.....I'll never go back. FWIW, I'm not a hi-mileage rider. The safety aspects are just superior.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What tire you running? I’m just worried in the rare occasion I’m in the rain and my tire isn’t symmetrical it will track funny. Plus I don’t want to experiment with a tire and not know if it’s good or bad because i don’t have a “good one” to compare it too that others have used. This will be my first darkside adventure.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I run the Hankook Synergy 95% of the time and I'll throw on a Bridgestone Exedra when I feel like looking at spokes. FWIW my learning curve was pretty flat and I'm a daily rider @ 9-11k mi/yr including the pouring rain. Never felt more in contact with the road at those times than with the car tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for answering, is it the 4s2 or the h735?

Also, what do you mean flat?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
What tire you running? I’m just worried in the rare occasion I’m in the rain and my tire isn’t symmetrical it will track funny. Plus I don’t want to experiment with a tire and not know if it’s good or bad because i don’t have a “good one” to compare it too that others have used. This will be my first darkside adventure.
After the first 100 miles you won't know it's there. A little hardly noticeable counter-steering in turns. Nothing a kid couldn't handle. Superior traction -AND- braking, in wet -OR- dry conditions. Don't get hung up on the asymetricals. FWIW, General Altimax RT43 205-65-16. 2003 1800 C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help! I’ve got one ordered, that kinergy was pretty affordable just to try out. So how do I figure out the tire pressure. Start at 35psi and go up based on load and feel?

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Thanks for the help! I’ve got one ordered, that kinergy was pretty affordable just to try out. So how do I figure out the tire pressure. Start at 35psi and go up based on load and feel?
Start at 40 and work down.You probably will find the sweet spot @ 36-38, IMHO.

·
Old Goat
26,012 Posts
42 on my 205/65/16....I will say it again...take your time,everybodies exp. is different....for me when I first got on it I tried to over correct...let the bike do its thing....regardless of 50k on mine...I can take it or leave....but as u have read it do have its Champions.....stay safe and hang on.....good luck

·
Registered
989 Posts
I put the Michelin crossclimate on last Sept. .Rode 500 miles in the rain. Handled just great in the rain....well pleased with it . My tire size 205/55/16.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts