Honda VTX Forum banner

New member from Nor Cal

750 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  GrandPaul 
#1 ·
Howdy. Thank you for the add to this group. I'm still looking for my first VTX1800. Found a couple close enough and looking forward to the purchase and advice from the group.
Current bikes: '80 CBX, '94 CB1000, '12 BMW R1200RT (soon to leave).

#2 ·
Welcome to the VTXOA.
First generation 1800 was C, R, S with fuel pump in tank.

Second generation 1800 was C, F, N, R, S, T with fuel pump below seat.
C and F are closely related.
N is Neo style.
R,S,T are Retro; R = cast wheels, S=spokes, T has bags and windshield.

#5 ·
Don't let '1st Gen' models drive you off. It's been 17-18 years since they have been made, and although they had first-run problems, more than likely those have been addressed by current or previous owners. Pick the owner's brain or dealers. Make sure all fluid maintenances have been done, the rubber is less than 5 years old, the battery holds up to the free 100 amp load test at most auto parts dealers. The electrics and electronics on all 1800's are critical to have a fully functioning battery and charging system.

#7 ·
Welcome aboard from New Mexico. I have a 03 1st gen 1800R with 48000 miles on it. Never had any kind of problem with the bike but did have problems with the fuel manager, power commander 3 and had to remove it. My brother has a 81 CBX he bought new. Hasn't started it since 91, sitting in his garage under a tarp.

#10 ·
"1st Gen" is all 02-03's, and a few of the early '04's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.