Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a new member living in Pittsburgh PA. I just bought my first VTX about two weeks ago. It's a 2003 1300S. I got it from a buddy at work who kept it in his garage for 4 or 5 years. It’s in great shape. After doing some well needed maintenance on it, it fired right up. The VTX’s have a great sound. Not too loud not to quiet. It came with a windshield, mustang seat, back rest for both front and rear, leather saddle bags, the Clymer manual and the original seat. It’s got about 28K miles and I paid 3K for it. I’m happy with the price and definitely happy with the bike. The spring can’t get here fast enough.

·
Registered
11,392 Posts
Hello Brian, welcome to the VTXOA!
Brake fluid, heel/toe shift lever pivot-bolt clean&lube, clutch cable, clutch lever clean and lube would be top
maintenance. Starter switch and turn signal switch could possibly need some cleaning. 28k is low mileage.
Most run 38-40 PSI in tires front and back. In the Step by Step board there is some info.
2003 1300S - one unique item is the electric fuel pump. 2003 was the only year a 1300 had a fuel pump.
2004 and up use gravity flow. If you ever have electric FP or fuel flow issues convert to gravity flow.
Enjoy your VTX!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Brian, welcome to the VTXOA!
Brake fluid, heel/toe shift lever pivot-bolt clean&lube, clutch cable, clutch lever clean and lube would be top
maintenance. Starter switch and turn signal switch could possibly need some cleaning. 28k is low mileage.
Most run 38-40 PSI in tires front and back. In the Step by Step board there is some info.
2003 1300S - one unique item is the electric fuel pump. 2003 was the only year a 1300 had a fuel pump.
2004 and up use gravity flow. If you ever have electric FP or fuel flow issues convert to gravity flow.
Enjoy your VTX!
Thank you for the welcoming. I’ve done some of that and I have the rest of the winter to do the rest.:) My K&M air filter cleaner kit is coming from amazon today. I got a new fuel filter and battery that needs to be installed. I didn’t know you could convert it to gravity flow. I’ll need to look into that. I haven’t done the brake fluid yet because I’m thinking about upgrading to steel-braided brake lines. It’s only about 100 bucks and it will look great. I'll flush the coolant over the weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Looks to me like you got a pretty good deal on that bike. She looks good too. You are going to appreciate that Mustang seat overt the stocker. The stock seats on these bikes were pretty bad for most people.

Keep a close eye on those tires. Even stored for 4-5 years they get old and hard. They will start to degrade over time. I can't stress how important reliable tires are on a bike. Most importantly Brian, ride safe and enjoy the many many years of enjoyment these bikes can offer. If your youngun is keen on going for a ride, I can highly recommend spending as much time on the bike together as possible. When the youngster is old enough, you may have a riding partner on their own bike. My son and I have been riding together now since he was 9 (so 11 years now), and on his own bike for the last 2 years. It's time together I would not give up for anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks to me like you got a pretty good deal on that bike. She looks good too. You are going to appreciate that Mustang seat overt the stocker. The stock seats on these bikes were pretty bad for most people.

Keep a close eye on those tires. Even stored for 4-5 years they get old and hard. They will start to degrade over time. I can't stress how important reliable tires are on a bike. Most importantly Brian, ride safe and enjoy the many many years of enjoyment these bikes can offer. If your youngun is keen on going for a ride, I can highly recommend spending as much time on the bike together as possible. When the youngster is old enough, you may have a riding partner on their own bike. My son and I have been riding together now since he was 9 (so 11 years now), and on his own bike for the last 2 years. It's time together I would not give up for anything.
I hear great things about the mustang seat. I’m glad he got it. He also gave me the stock seat so I’ll just keep that in storage just in case I need it. The tires look pretty good but I’ll keep an eye on them. I think I’ll wait until next year before she takes her first ride. I’ll need to get her some riding gear and a DOT approved helmet.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
I hear great things about the mustang seat. I’m glad he got it. He also gave me the stock seat so I’ll just keep that in storage just in case I need it. The tires look pretty good but I’ll keep an eye on them. I think I’ll wait until next year before she takes her first ride. I’ll need to get her some riding gear and a DOT approved helmet.

View attachment 169751
She looks adorable on the back of your new ride. Keep safe my brother.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,
be careful with the tires when I bought my VTX 1800 the tires were a bit old, in each roundabout at acceleration I had small slips, the engine has a lot of torque and that does not really forgive.
I quickly changed the 2 tires

good road (y)(y)(y)

translation by google

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,
be careful with the tires when I bought my VTX 1800 the tires were a bit old, in each roundabout at acceleration I had small slips, the engine has a lot of torque and that does not really forgive.
I quickly changed the 2 tires

good road (y)(y)(y)

translation by google
I need to get the bike inspected before I can take it out so I’ll make sure to ask them to check out the tires for me.

·
Registered
11,392 Posts
Check the DOT date code on the tire.
Anything over 5-6 years should be replaced.
week/year 23/14 = 23rd week/ 2014
1300 medium power, 1800 is high power!

Add additional lighting to be seen! Safety...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts