Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2002 Honda vtx 1800s the odometer and speedometer has stopped working. Ive put a new speed censor assembly on and checked all the wires on the headlight housing and everything is working properly except the odometer and speedometer. All the rest of the dash board is working. Already done ground wire fixes. Any ideas whats going on? Would you think the speedometer itself is bad?

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Q#1: are the wires from VSS going down before it loops around going up...

Q2: the speedo+VSS has separate Ground wire at the Common Electronics Ground at the Front Ignition Coil mounting bolt. Check it there and at the connector at the speedo..

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Green/Black wire is the VSS/Speedo unit ground, on a 2 pin Black connector.***
Headlight bucket does not indicate a 2pin connector. Forgotten/hidden???
Black/Brown is the +12v for speedo and VSS.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had no luck. The groundwires were as clean as the last time I did them. Any more ideas? Does the odometer fuse have power on it at all times, even with the key off? Any help would be appreciated! How often does the speedometor go bad its self, I wonder?

·
Old Goat
25,403 Posts
BTW the bike only has 47,000 miles
Machines are funny ....no matter how well u take care of them ....my water pump went out at 40k...go figure ...somebody on here will help u out...me I dont got a clue unless it’s something Ive fixed myself...good luck

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
The Odometer Memory fuse is for the Trip meter....
Speedometer go bad--almost never. The major problem is the sunburned odometer polarizing filter.
Getting pulses from the VSS????
Have you checked +12v to the Green/ Black wire???

In the headlight bucket??? Three connectors to look at...
I do not know about the 1800, but the 1300 has a mini connector that pins can be pushed back/out, bent.
A bent pin on the mini connector could be an issue if you have one.
Pin backed out would be an open...
Neutral light and oil pressure light are good???

In the Step by Step 1800 section is some info on testing the VSS.
I do not remember if this was a "C" or R/S service manual.
The colors are correct.... Have fun!
1800 diagrams for Charging, Starting and FI system

1 - 8 of 8 Posts