Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
OK Ill throw in my Newby 2 cents since your not finding the problem....
Dont think the float is adjustable.
Sounds like a vac leak, so check the intake Manifold "Y" shape with rubber boots in 3 locations. Hose clamp type fasteners. Tighten them or replace as a set.
Little age, time and heat and the rubber shrinks up and dries out = air leaks....
Go with the Gravity feed Petcock and get rid of the damn Fuel pump..
A quick fix, try the Scar mod to see if a touch more gas at low end helps, that stutter at low rpm is what its for. Bikes were all very lean from Factory, little age and they lean right out and stutter.
Find out why the idle adjustment doesnt seem to work??
Keep us posted, these trouble shooting issues can take some time and effort.. But its worth it for a great ride!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK Ill throw in my Newby 2 cents since your not finding the problem....
Dont think the float is adjustable.
Sounds like a vac leak, so check the intake Manifold "Y" shape with rubber boots in 3 locations. Hose clamp type fasteners. Tighten them or replace as a set.
Little age, time and heat and the rubber shrinks up and dries out = air leaks....
Go with the Gravity feed Petcock and get rid of the damn Fuel pump..
A quick fix, try the Scar mod to see if a touch more gas at low end helps, that stutter at low rpm is what its for. Bikes were all very lean from Factory, little age and they lean right out and stutter.
Find out why the idle adjustment doesnt seem to work??
Keep us posted, these trouble shooting issues can take some time and effort.. But its worth it for a great ride!!!
I'll recheck the manifold boots. The one from the carb to the motor was nice and tight, and I even went back and checked, but I'll go back through and look again. A little carb cleaner spray when the bike is running might help here. I'm beginning to think there is a vacuum leak too, I was thinking maybe the bowl gasket was a problem, because I reused the one I took off.

The float seems good, and the carb bowl get plenty of gas. I know the fuel pumps fail etc, but the bike it getting fuel. The pump isn't the issue now.

From what I've read, on a stock bike, most people don't seem to notice a difference with the scar mod. I have aftermarket pipes (Hard Chrome) but otherwise the bike it stock. The idle screw "works" it's just hard to make fine adjustments because the bike won't seem to run without fuel enrichment circuit (choke) pulled out 1/4 of the way.

·
Registered
308 Posts
you have hard chrome pipes on?
i would buy new exhaust crush gaskets and put the original exhaust back on if you have it.
sucking air from the exhaust will raise hell with your bike.
since you are not sure where you are at. this would be a good step to take and eliminate this out of the equation.
for me tearing into the carb would be the last step and final option if nothing else worked.
i have had many Japanese powersport vehicles and never had to get into the carb on any of them
usually its a sticky float or a dirty float bowl and there is a drain screw on the side.
then a shot of seafoam.
hopefully all your work is good and true otherwise there will be many options for failure.
i wouldn't do any modifications....its only going to add more problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
you have hard chrome pipes on?
i would buy new exhaust crush gaskets and put the original exhaust back on if you have it.
sucking air from the exhaust will raise hell with your bike.
since you are not sure where you are at. this would be a good step to take and eliminate this out of the equation.
for me tearing into the carb would be the last step and final option if nothing else worked.
i have had many Japanese powersport vehicles and never had to get into the carb on any of them
usually its a sticky float or a dirty float bowl and there is a drain screw on the side.
then a shot of seafoam.
hopefully all your work is good and true otherwise there will be many options for failure.
i wouldn't do any modifications....its only going to add more problems.

Is there a way to test/confirm the exhaust isn't the problem? I don't mind swapping the exhaust again, but I'd rather spend a few minutes to confirm if there's a problem. I don't think the Hard Krome pipes have or use gaskets.

·
Old Goat
24,082 Posts
Is there a way to test/confirm the exhaust isn't the problem? I don't mind swapping the exhaust again, but I'd rather spend a few minutes to confirm if there's a problem. I don't think the Hard Krome pipes have or use gaskets.

Unless I missed the memo...all exhaust systems use gaskets.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Unless I missed the memo...all exhaust systems use gaskets.....
Welp, I didn't see any when I took the stock system off, so I assumed there weren't any.

The bike, before I took the stock system off, STILL NEEDED CHOKE to run, so while this wasn't the original cause, I'll certainly run to autozone,and pick up a couple of the felpro ones to make sure they are replaced.

·
Old Goat
24,082 Posts
Welp, I didn't see any when I took the stock system off, so I assumed there weren't any.

The bike, before I took the stock system off, STILL NEEDED CHOKE to run, so while this wasn't the original cause, I'll certainly run to autozone,and pick up a couple of the felpro ones to make sure they are replaced.
They are easy to overlook...can be mistaken as part of the port....several threads on this....I’m willing to bet they were in there...good luck

·
Registered
308 Posts
they are there and you have to pull them out with a little pick.
its like a big o-ring type.
got to get them at the dealer,,felpro make your own gasket not gonna work.

·
Old Goat
24,082 Posts

Not arguing but I’m using fel pro purchased at Oriellys ....with my Big Shots..I compared them with OEM set that Im saving...couldnt tell the diff....:wink2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
They are easy to overlook...can be mistaken as part of the port....several threads on this....I’m willing to bet they were in there...good luck
Well I put the bike back together tonight, got the carb all buttoned back up with new gaskets etc and it runs the same. The choke has to be out just a little bit for it to start and run. As soon as the choke is put back in it dies.

I took it up the road 1/4 mile, it runs okay with the choke on 1/4, when I let off the gas i get the occasional pop, but thats it. Push the choke in while moving, the bikes bogs right down and runs like crap.

Really seems like a fuel issue, because all the PAIR system hoses are tight, and it's a stock box/filter. And she'll run okay with the choke on, so the fuel pump is working, because choke circuit is in the carb and fed by fuel pump. But opening the throttle with the air cleaner off shows nice sprays from the accelerator pump. I don't see any gas spray into the carb though.

I did go to pull a plug off to check it, and the wire came out of the boot. So that's great. Looks like I have to try and figure out how to fix that ( parts diagram shows they come in two pieces, so they should be fixable).

Does anyone think the exhaust gaskets could actually be causing this problem? Because the bike ran like this before I took the OEM system off and missed replacing the gaskets....

Anyone want to buy a low mileage 2003 VTX in orange?!

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
Make your own????

Felpro gasket in mine, first use in Dec 2005 when I installed HK pipes.
1980's Honda Civic exhaust gasket.

I have pulled the Right Rear spark plug connector apart. I even broke the 500 ohm resistor body.
Stranded spark plug wire, a pin sticks into the strands.
There may be some spiral shape on the pin so give it a righty-tighty when pushing it on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
whatever works for ya!!!
not gonna catch me putting Honda civic gaskets in my vtx.
i think they were 8 bucks a piece at the dealer for oem ones.

·
Old Goat
24,082 Posts
whatever works for ya!!!
not gonna catch me putting Honda civic gaskets in my vtx.
i think they were 8 bucks a piece at the dealer for oem ones.
FYI...MY VTX and Civic use the same oil filter...Bosch 3323.....>:)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Fight nice boys. It could be one of the several things mentioned. I would double check all your vacuum connections, boots, etc. Fix your exhaust. the old gaskets are most likely in there. IDK if new ones were installed in there over them. If you dont fix that, you will be posting more questions about your bike popping cause of the air leaks. You might need to use a flathead screwdriver and hit the gasket (ONLY THE GASKET). That works pretty well on ones that are stuck in there good. If you need help, post pics and we can guide you through it. A pick just wont do it. I would also reclean the carb unless you are positive you did it thoroughly AND reinstalled everything correctly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Is the A/F o-ring in proper sequence?
Yup, I got that advice somewhere. I checked. The o ring at the top, then the washer, then the spring. I even replaced the O-ring the second time I took the carb apart just for good measure.

Fight nice boys. It could be one of the several things mentioned. I would double check all your vacuum connections, boots, etc. Fix your exhaust. the old gaskets are most likely in there. IDK if new ones were installed in there over them. If you dont fix that, you will be posting more questions about your bike popping cause of the air leaks. You might need to use a flathead screwdriver and hit the gasket (ONLY THE GASKET). That works pretty well on ones that are stuck in there good. If you need help, post pics and we can guide you through it. A pick just wont do it. I would also reclean the carb unless you are positive you did it thoroughly AND reinstalled everything correctly.
I ordered the exhaust gaskets at O'Reillys last night. I'll have them today. I'll grab a couple of stainless lock washers at work too, just to make sure they are bottoming out.

I don't know that I'll ever get to a point this bike will be running down the road long enough to care about the popping. There's got to be some leak somewhere, the carb is clean. All the hoses to the PAIR system are clean, soft, and tight. The carb has been dismantled and put back together 2X. The A/F screw is at 2.5 turns out, and it still won't run without the choke open a little. Soon as the choke goes in, engine stumbles and dies.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Soon as the choke goes in, engine stumbles and dies.

This is a great clue that it is not getting gas at idle..
So lets go back and run through this from step one...
No Idle without choke, runs fine above that.
A/F and pilot jet allow fuel in at idle and just above (up to about 3K, rpm?).
There is a tiny filter filter basket in tit of carb where fuel line connects, check that. Take off fuel line and inside metal tit should be the basket... (I dont think this is the problem)
Other then that it is idle fuel issue. So get some 'Techron' fuel system cleaner (its a cleaner, seafoam is a stabilizer) Or carb cleaner (spray would work well). run some in tank AND pour some into carb and let it soak in also might put some in float bowl and run for second or two with choke to get it in idle fuel runs... Cant find the Carb blow up with fuel runs ?)
Something is restricting fuel flow at idle IMHO.......

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
This is a great clue that it is not getting gas at idle..
So lets go back and run through this from step one...
No Idle without choke, runs fine above that.
A/F and pilot jet allow fuel in at idle and just above (up to about 3K, rpm?).
There is a tiny filter filter basket in tit of carb where fuel line connects, check that. Take off fuel line and inside metal tit should be the basket... (I dont think this is the problem)
Other then that it is idle fuel issue. So get some 'Techron' fuel system cleaner (its a cleaner, seafoam is a stabilizer) Or carb cleaner (spray would work well). run some in tank AND pour some into carb and let it soak in also might put some in float bowl and run for second or two with choke to get it in idle fuel runs... Cant find the Carb blow up with fuel runs ?)
Something is restricting fuel flow at idle IMHO.......

Mines an 03 with a fuel pump, so I don't have that inlet filter. Only an inline one before the pump, in front of the battery. I'll put some cleaner through the inlet and let it soak in the carb bowl. Maybe I'll mix carb cleaner and a fuel system cleaner. I did add gas/seafoam to the bowl before I fired it up last night, but I'll do it, and let it sit. I know I could only add a little bit before it spilled over the inlet last night, but I'll do it again.

My last idea, really is to take it out on the highway and ping off the limiter in second at 60-70mph for 10 miles, either the engine blows or the crap clears itself up and the bike is ride able again. I mean, I really don't know what else it could be... If there is something in the carb, it's deep in there, in the circuits. I mean I poked, prodded, cleaned, sprayed with carb cleaner, compressed air blew, everything. Anything that would come out, came out. The tank does have fuel injector cleaner in it, I could add some seafoam too....

Everywhere I sprayed that had a passage, I sprayed until it ran out clean, then cleaned and sprayed again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well, I'm going to put the repaired spark plug back into the coil and reassembly tonight.

Anyone know what that port in the carb is that I circled? I bought a flexible screw driver, so I'm going to adjust the A/F screw from 2.5 to 3 and see if there is any difference. But it really should run without the choke at this point...

The plugs aren't "that" fouled.

Is there anything wrong with my A/F screw? Looking at the picture, does anyone think it could be damaged?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So I took a chance, and took the bike out down the highway. I stayed in second most of the ride doing 70-75mph. I wanted the RPM up there, but didn't want to be banging on the limiter.

I did about 15 miles in total. When I let off the gas, it pops, and starting from a stop is difficult. There's a large bog or hesitation from a stop.

Once I got going on the highway, I did put the choke in, and it stayed running at higher rpms okay. At the end of the ride, the bike didn't seem to run any different.

So theres either a clog in the idle circuit (past the A/F screw) in the carb, or past the pilot jet. I took the intake box off to remove the A/F screw and look at it, it's still clean as it was when I cleaned it.

My only next step that I can think of, is completely disassemble the carb as much as I can, all the gaskets, O-rings out that can be taken out, and buy a gallon of Berryman Chem Dip carb cleaner, and dunk the carb in it. Maybe try and use my small ultrasonic cleaner if it'll fit.

I'm at wits end with this damned bike....

21 - 40 of 47 Posts