Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just picked up a 03 VTX 1300s. It is my winter project. A few issues, leaking radiator, need to redo the seats, and the speedometer is stuck (not working). But, it runs good and sounds mean!

Jim in NC

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi, Jim, and welcome to the forum. Post some pictures as your project progresses. This is a good place to ask your questions. There are lots of people with experience who are willing to share what they know. Enjoy the project.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Hello Jim, welcome to the VTXOA!
2003 1300 was the only year a 1300 had an electric fuel pump.
If it ever fails, revert to gravity flow.

Speedometer stuck???
Is it staying at the pin and the odometer is not incrementing???
The two Green plugs to the speedo housing, inspect them, bent pin or pin forced out have been previous issues.
+12v to the speedo unit on Black/Brown stripe wire - for speedo and back lighting.
Green/Black wire is a designated Ground for the VSS (vehicle Speed Sensor) and the speedo/odometer unit.
White wire is the +5v pulses from the VSS to the speedo unit(when wheel turning and IGN switch on)
Several VSS have failed on the 1300.

Sometimes the hose clamps just need to be snugged up.
If a crash bar has been added the radiator mount could be compromised at the top.
NC is a nice place to ride. I was at Wayah Bald two weeks ago. Not on the VTX this time.
I lived 22 miles SE of Charlotte for 8.5 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcomes and info. The speedo needle is actually stuck at a speed (can't remember but maybe around 50). The lights seems to work on the cluster, odo lights up and has a readou but no sure if it is working since I have not riden it much distance yet, trailered it home.

Here is a pic the beginning with the bike still on the trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Welcome from central New Mexico. NC, Wow, I miss the bluegrass music.

Reactions: taz1967
1 - 11 of 11 Posts