Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have developed a complete Nitrous Oxide System designed for the VTX 1800 engine. This kit includes a NOS injection plate that mounts between the throttle body and the intake manifold -- which allows for a true "wet" system. This kit includes everything you need for installation complete with detailed instructions.

After installing the first one on my 1800R, I really did'nt know what to expect the first time I 'pushed the button'. I wasn't sure if it would work or not, but when I did -- holy smokes this thing really works! It's simply amazing, the engine shows a significant increase in power. For example, instead taking 5 or 6 seconds to 'pull' through 4th gear, just push the button and the engine spools up to redline almost immediately and its time to shift again. Riding next to a stock VTX, you will simply blow them away!

This mod will give you more "bang-for-your-buck" than anything else I know of.

As always, thanks for your support.

-- Paul

·
Registered
209 Posts
So...

How much American $$?

·
Mad Hatter
21,342 Posts
Yes, Please $$$$$$$$ And U can Use a Smaller Bottle, Correct??

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
What about after market intakes? I have the Hurricane system, and would I just drill into the intake body for installation?

The hardest thing to outrun is another X.....But what if he has NOS as well. :twisted:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ouch!

:cry:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Bareass and Johnny Cheese recently put NOS on my X. I agree, it is the most bang for your buck. I am running a 25 shot about to go up to 40 shot. I have two 2 lbs bottles, a wideopen throttle switch, spray button in the horn, and a purge. Looks sweet. Turns a lot of heads, and it really moves. Kevin, y could go with a smaller bottle, but you would constantly be running out and having to go refill. I would like to have a 20lbs mounted in a backpack that I could wear. LOL. Now that would turn heads.

FYI - for anyone considering running NOS. Go luck with the stock clutch. Mine wouldn't even grab a 40 shot. Bareass just put a MTC clutch in, and it is now grabbing nicely. Complete writeup at

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
In addition to the clutch mod, it really helps if you have a micro-switch to activate the gas.....so the engine does not spool between shifts. It's cheap, and easy to install, and has a better performance than just trying to coordinate a thumb, grip, shift, and your underwear....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No drilling of the manifold is required -- the injector plate sits between the throttle body and the intake runners and holds the nozzles in the perfect position to give a full "wet" shot (wet means adding fuel and nitrous together). Any air filter you might have (except the stock airbox) will be fine.

This sytem is not just for show -- it is for go. You can use smaller bottles if you want but after a while you'll wish you had bigger ones. We can assemble kits with 5lb bottles or 10oz bottles, polished if you want. The high-pressure bottles are rather expensive though. A single 5lb bottle seems to me like the best starting point.

The way you operate the system is as follows:

1. Of course, open the bottle. Easy to do -- just reach back with your left hand and open the valve.

2. Arm the system with the master switch -- its located between the cylinders on the left side and again can be easiy reached with your left hand.

3. Hold the throttle wide open. There is a micro-switch on the throtlle that ensures the system will not operate unless you have the throttle wide open.

4. Push the horn button to actually begin injecting nitrous and fuel. Since you must allready be at full throttle (step 3) -- you will noctice an instantaneous surge in power and the engine will climb to redline much faster.

When the master switch is off, the horn button honks the horn normally -- a quick beep lets you make sure you have it off.

I know that several people, Coyote was probably the first, have put nitrous systems on their VTX's successfully. I'm assuming they are drilling holes into the intake manifold to mount the nozzles. I thought about doing that, but could not find a position for the nozzles that I was happy with. I figured the best thing to do was to sit down with SolidWorks and design and injector plate that would be perfect.

I also figured out everything else you have to do, like mounting the solenoids, the fuel pump, the microswitch, and the VTX wiring diagram, and documented the entire procedure in the installation instrcutions. My goal was to make it so that anybody could sit down, read the directions, and get this thing working -- I think I succeeded.

I have to say, its like the VTX was designed to have this system on it all along. What I mean is that everything fell into place perfectly. For example, all the necessary mounting points -- there were threaded holes in the frame just waiting for the brackets. Removing the stock air-box, there is a space under the tank just perfect for mounting the solenoids -- short lines and above the nozzles (the optimum configuration). The bottle should be away from heat and tipped forward at 45 degrees -- the mounts for the left rear passenger peg were allready there in the perfect location.

Needless to say, I'm very very pleased with how this kit turned out and I'm quite sure the world's going to see a lot more NOS equipped VTX's in the future.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
HonDiego

Can you sell just the bracket that connects to the passenger footpeg? I have a bottle and was looking for an alternate way to mount it and I like the way that looks.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
HonDiego said:
the mounts for the left rear passenger peg were allready there in the perfect location.
can you still use the left passenger footpeg? It doesn't look like you have the footpeg on from your posted picture.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
3. Hold the throttle wide open. There is a micro-switch on the throtlle that ensures the system will not operate unless you have the throttle wide open.

4. Push the horn button to actually begin injecting nitrous and fuel. Since you must allready be at full throttle (step 3) -- you will noctice an instantaneous surge in power and the engine will climb to redline much faster.
Okie dokie so I'm following the directions for best mileage per the owner's manual & shift in2 5th @ 31MPH deciding @ that point 2 hammer the throttle wide open. Will I notice the "instantaneous surge in power" along w/the engine climbing 2 redline much faster?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If your looking to do nitrious you guys need to contact Johnnycheese!!!

I saw him install a nitrious system on a friend of Bare's bike and did a great job. Also the bottle mounts he used were either chromed or ... and loked nicer. After all we want style and looks in addition to performance.

See Johnnycheese!!!!

Also ask Bare about Johnnycheese's work!!!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Why is it that the kits for bikes are so expensive and the ones for cages are about half the cost? Are the parts that much more expensive? Is someone trying to recoup 'engineering costs'? I'm not pointing fingers just inquiring.

Dreamer, what would you recommend to those of us taht don't live so close to johnnycheese do for nitrous kits? I have even contacted him, but, that's a heck of a trip to the store just for a nitrous kit. If you see him, see if he could throw a kit together for some of us 'northeners'.

Has anyone else seen these 'kits' more reasonably priced? They all look like they are put together with the same materials.

·
Registered
841 Posts
xetremex said:
HonDiego said:
the mounts for the left rear passenger peg were allready there in the perfect location.
can you still use the left passenger footpeg? It doesn't look like you have the footpeg on from your posted picture.
You have a passenger that will ride when you're doing NOS? Now, THAT'S LOVE!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts