Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this new Nolan N104 modular today.Video Review

A Big Improvement Over the N103

Huge upgrade over the HJC-CL-MAX I've used for years.

Two major favorites (N104), the sun shield and finally a chin strap that makes sense with gloves on.

They really did a nice job keeping the air gap tight when flipped up under 1/2",
between the shield and top of helmet.
The HJC air gap is 1 - 1/2". It was Ok at low speeds, but jump on the freeway it was
required to close the chin bar down.

Tomorrow, I'll give it the speed test on the freeway for comparing noise.
With it's very nice wiper seal all the way around when shield is closed, this should
be a major improvement, being Modulars can be noisier than solids.

Next is bluetooth so GPS, and Tunes are functional along with phone.
After viewing all the reviews this morning, it was off to the dealer for open house
and 20% off.

Image is from CompetitionAccessories/Nolan

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've been considring a modular helmet but I'd like to ride with it up at times and I've heard that can't be done because of the gap. I'll be curious to hear what you think of it. Where are you buying it from (I live in the Twin Cities too) and how much do they cost and how long is the sale?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Philscbx said:
Huge upgrade over the HJC-CL-MAX I've used for years. Two major favorites (N104), the sun shield and finally a chin strap that makes sense with gloves on. They really did a nice job keeping the air gap tight when flipped up under 1/2", between the shield and top of helmet. The HJC air gap is 1 - 1/2". It was Ok at low speeds, but jump on the freeway it was required to close the chin bar down.

I thought you couldn't ride with the chin bar up...ever. If this helmet is approved for that, that's killer! I have a HJC IS-MAX BT, which is a decent enough lid. I do like Nolan helmets and will try one of these on next time I go to the stealer. A co-worker has a Gold Wing Trike and has a Shark modular helmet that is approved for both full face or 3/4 set-up.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most Muscular I've been considring a modular helmet but I'd like to ride with it up at times and I've heard that can't be done because of the gap.
Not sure where this rule was ever quoted from a mfg.
This is the first model I've come across that can be locked up.
Watch the video review link.
In pure logic, with chin flipped, it's usually when stopped to talk, get fuel, cool down at lower speeds, under 50mph.
Out on the freeway, doesn't make sense having it up for very long.
It's extra drag tugging on your neck, but they reduced this anyway.

Where are you buying it from (I live in the Twin Cities too) and how much do they cost and how long is the sale?
I was at Moon Motorsports in Monticello ordering parts Thursday,
and they mentioned to come Saturday only for open house, a once a year deal. BMW test rides, etc.
20 miles North of Maple Grove.

Before I left, I tried every helmet to narrow down the modular wanted.
Some were $800 plus.

The deal basically paid for the gas and chow they had.
The N104 retail at $450 - but if you use the search term for this model, I did see deals out there about $380 + shipping etc. You might find free shipping at some.

Problem on-line ordering for me was what size.
Some on-line dealers sale are for one color only. If Black works for you - why not.
I wanted a lighter color this time, and less heat.

After comparing the tagged size of current helmet, the Nolan was tagged the same and fits the same.
That was also mentioned in some of the review that sizing was kept in close check of labels.
While watching Youtube review, notice stacked reviews on same page.
The link I have in first post is very good with all the details.
Good Luck

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I like the sun visor inside the shield. I have a N103 and its outside. It is noisy but I'm use to it now. I couldn't try it on because no one has them around me so I took the chance and ordered it. Worked out great, had it for almost 5 years but would like to get a replacement.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've been dying to check out the Shark Evoline. The modular bit flips right up & over to the back of the helmet so you can ride 3/4 easy as all hell without parts to snap on & off.

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been dying to check out the Shark Evoline. The modular bit flips right up & over to the back of the helmet so you can ride 3/4 easy as all hell without parts to snap on & off.
It would be Ok I guess, it's at the same price point of the N104.
The chin strap being double loop is a deal breaker vs the single action ratchet, quick release.
I added a quick release to the HJC, but it's not fool proof. There's times I was swearing trying to get it apart.
Flipped, and independent shield is decent feature where some live where it's forever to get to the freeway under 45mph on hot days.

Nolan's drop down sunshield as some others, and the other day holding hand to block
the sun w/o one (HJC) was the other factor for it's choice when forced to drive in traffic with one hand.
Not the safest situation prior to sundown.

There are models that convert to 3/4 from full face, but not the N104.
The Nolan Trilogy does.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I tried the Nolan,even wanted it, but the chinbar was too close to my chin when closed. had an old HJC that worked fine and had the inside visor but it also hit my chin.5 yrs old the latch for the chiguard broke so had to get new one. the only one that fit well was the new sy-max-BT got it and it has the visor ,is quieter and chin bar gives plenty of room.also has the blutooth capabilities Bottom line though is try them on!! and if you can buy them in person. I tried on helmets that were the same make AND SIZE yet they fit differently

·
Registered
433 Posts
I.will be waiting for feedback on how the helmet works with the chin guard in the up position at various speeds. I have found the helmet advertised online for $340 with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Philscbx said:
Not sure where this rule was ever quoted from a mfg.
This is the first model I've come across that can be locked up.
On my HJC IS MAX BT, the chin bar does not lock up and the destruction manual specifically says that it must be down and locked for riding. Now, using common sense, I might flip it up while stopped or riding slow through a parking lot, etc. I like what you are saying about the Nolan 104 having a chinbar that locks up. Shark also makes a helmet that was mentioned that is full face or 3/4. Then chinbar locks to the rear of the helmet. There is a Nolan dealer close by, so next time I'm in I'll take a look at the 104.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Well, it was my first modular helmet and I didn't know (and neither did the stealer). :lol: I usually reach for the destructions after...

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally,
Yesterday was first tour with the N104 in the lower 50's, and today, raining & cold, the heck with that.

I started out with chip flipped up, and amazingly felt no strain as I usually did with the HJC at 55ish+.
Didn't have time to do a hard freeway run yet.

Edit - Just noticed the top full size image in #1 showing chin flipped, that a chin baffle is missing from that view.
In Place - I'm sure this adds to the low drag when flipped to keep air from getting under chin and top of helmet.

Overall, at 55ish+, this helmet is so much quieter. Above 70+, amazingly Quiet.
The face shield does a final snap shut against a full surround rubber wiper seal that really works, huge plus.

It was late in the day during sunset on the way back, and last stop forgot to put sunglasses back on,
then rolling along, I remembered it has flip down sunshield, now that is darn cool.

With gloves on, all functions work well with the quick latching strap on/off, shield functions, flip functions, internal sun shield.

Now to add wireless com / tunes action, with a Pink Floyd tour to top it off.
Nolan dedicates their full system wireless for this helmet.

So it looks like I'll have a HJC chin flip avail if someone needs one in XL in perfect shape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts