Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found it ironic that now while on a trike the cruisers were not returning waves. Trikers (saw about 5 in SW Missouri going west as we went east) and the Goldwings would wave back.

But the most waves we got...surprisingly were from the semi truckers and cars passing us! Now these two types never waved at us when we were on our VTX. Funny how the perspective changes when people see you riding a trike pulling a trailer.... or maybe it was the Pink Panther on the luggage rack?

Anyone else experiance a change in the waves due to whatever else bike you rode besides the VTX? We were used to getting waves from all type bikes while on the VTX. So you guys, if you see a triker, please wave, some of us have to trike it due to medical problems that keep us off 2 wheels. Lets make the VTX riders the most friendly of all bikers by giving everyone a wave no matter what anyone else is riding!!! :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Around here I have found that if someone is riding a metric bike (cruiser, sport, whatever) they will wave at you, the other crowd tends only to wave at their own. I have had a few mistakenly wave at me, then cut it short when they see it's a Honda. To each their own, to me two wheels is two wheels, and yes three is the same to me as two. I wave at trikes every time I see one. I even wave at scooters and mopeds. Like I said two wheels is two wheels. We ALL have the same dangers and we all have the same great experience.
Just my opnion.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
The whole wave thing is pretty wierd? I have noticed on my sportbike, other sportbikes wave most of the time and about 50% of the cruisers wave. The farther away from civilization you get the more people wave. If you are in the middle of nowhere almost every bike waves?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I must of seen about a Trillion GW Trikes while being around Yellowstone, and heading towards Billings, where the Wing Ding was held.

It seemed tome that it was the passengers job to wave most of the time, rarely I would get a wave from the driver,,, guess they were preoccupired with something important, like checking the transflux do-flingly.......

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
There are trying to wave at the pink panther and see if it would wave back to them :D

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I try to wave to all the Bikes, Trikes even people riding Bicycles I see along the road :mcrider: :lol: The only time I don't wave is when I'm looking out for my safety or someone around me :!:

The one thing that kind of rubes me the wrong way is when I pass a couple on a bike and I wave and only the passenger waves back I see this a lot. When you have a passenger with you are you excused from giving a friendly wave back :?: :?

G

·
I wave at everyone on a MC irregardless of type (and that includes Trikes and LEOs) if I see them in time, and if I can (not when I need two hands on the bars.) Sometimes I get a wave back, sometimes not...I don't let it bug me, unless it is a one-finger salute.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I wave to everybody, even bicyclists.

My wife and I get waved to by kids in the back seat. Or from the passenger seat if I'm passing by. It seems to make their day when we wave back. If I'm wearing the open face hemlet and tinted shield I'll open it and make sure the kid sees me smiling. With the 1/2 helmet I'm smiling as soon as I see them. It may be the hopeless romantic in me, but I see these kids as future bikers and I am impressioning a good experience in their memory banks of long boring rides in the back seat of the ol' mans car.

Once, just last month on our trip to Missouri, a young fellow, after waving to his hearts content, shot at me with his finger gun. Of course, in Lone Ranger style, I leaned to the side and swerved the bike to avoid his bullet. I lifted my shield to let him see me smile, then pulled up closer, checked traffic, dropped 'er down two gears and roared by him, shifting from third to fourth as I passed the side window, then to fifth as I pulled back into the right lane in front of them and rode off into the Ozark hills.
I hope that left him with a good impression.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Im tired of waving, im tired of people waving at me. I do generally return a wave if i get one, but seriously. Stop waving and pay friggin attention. This especially to the new riders, who I always see so intent on waving they they damn near wreck. You can always tell the new rider, they concentrate so hard on waving that you can see the front tire wobble as they then start to drift directly towards ya (just like they say look right go right. look down go down, etc..) Grrr. Yes we're both riders, yes I see you, Yes Im happy we are riding, now look ahead and ride dammit!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok I feel better.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Im tired of waving, im tired of people waving at me. I do generally return a wave if i get one, but seriously. Stop waving and pay friggin attention. This especially to the new riders, who I always see so intent on waving they they damn near wreck. You can always tell the new rider, they concentrate so hard on waving that you can see the front tire wobble as they then start to drift directly towards ya (just like they say look right go right. look down go down, etc..) Grrr. Yes we're both riders, yes I see you, Yes Im happy we are riding, now look ahead and ride dammit!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope some kid shoots you right off your high horse...err...bike. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
RayJay said:
I must of seen about a Trillion GW Trikes while being around Yellowstone, and heading towards Billings, where the Wing Ding was held.

It seemed tome that it was the passengers job to wave most of the time, rarely I would get a wave from the driver,,, guess they were preoccupired with something important, like checking the transflux do-flingly.......
RayJay, it's my 'Flux Capacitor' and I have to keep the adjustment in specs. That's why I always tell my passenger that it's her job to wave at other bikes and little kids.

Besides, who wouldn't rather get a smile and wave from a cute, young gal than some big, bearded biker dude? :wink: :) :D 8)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ohio has got to be one of the most unfriendly places for a wave. While travelling back from the Hoot I came up through Louisville, KY through Cinci and then onto Cleveland for a few days. Saw quite a few bikes and only 1 wave the entire trip. Didn't see regular waves until I got back into Pa. Knew there was something odd in Buckeye....

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
RedVTXRider said:

I hope some kid shoots you right off your high horse...err...bike. :lol: :lol:
Hey thats entirely not accurate. I've lowered my Bike!! :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
RayJay said:

RayJay, it's my 'Flux Capacitor' and I have to keep the adjustment in specs. That's why I always tell my passenger that it's her job to wave at other bikes and little kids.

Besides, who wouldn't rather get a smile and wave from a cute, young gal than some big, bearded biker dude? :wink: :) :D 8)
:wink:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I gladly pass on the responsibility for the wave to the passenger. Never gave it a thought, as long as someone dose it, its done.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have noticed that when I am driving the VTX with the side car that the "you know who they are crowd" turn their nose up at me and if I am on the other X without the side car everyone waves. However the side car gets waves from truckers, cagers, walkers, joggers, etc. I have to answer questions at every stop and everyone smiles at me. I love driving both bikes, but enjoy everyone else more when I am on the sidecar rig.

·
Banned
24,429 Posts
Truckers always wave back.My wife got tired of bikes not waving so she started to wave at truckers and they always responded. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Senior Moments
8,400 Posts
draxsr said:
Ohio has got to be one of the most unfriendly places for a wave. While travelling back from the Hoot I came up through Louisville, KY through Cinci and then onto Cleveland for a few days. Saw quite a few bikes and only 1 wave the entire trip. Didn't see regular waves until I got back into Pa. Knew there was something odd in Buckeye....
If I would have seen you when you passed through Louisville, I would have waived to you!!

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Hilbily said:
To each their own, to me two wheels is two wheels, and yes three is the same to me as two. I wave at trikes every time I see one. I even wave at scooters and mopeds. Like I said two wheels is two wheels. We ALL have the same dangers and we all have the same great experience.
Just my opnion.
My sentiments exactly!! In fact we get a kick out of mopeds and scooters showing up at Bike Night here in Appomattox, VA.

Heard about this game played in Dallas. A group of rather large, mean looking bikers go riding. They wave at all other bikes and if they back they curse and get surly. If the other bike doesn't wave, the fun starts. They quickly turn around and catch the offending biker. After pulling them off the road, he is questioned as to why he didn't wave. Was he trying to be disrespectful to the group? "Someone get his license number! Now, we know who you are. If this happens again you're gonna need medical attention, ya understand?"

After the offender has gone his merry way, they all laugh and go trolling for another offender. Hmmm, sounds like fun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts