Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put my new pipes on my bike tonight. Bub Jug Huggers. They look damn sweet, I must say! Way better than the dual water heaters that came stock. But as beautiful as the pipes are, they are frighteningly loud. Waaaay louder than I expected. How loud is frighteningly loud? Lets just say that once it was time to fire it up, I decided not to take any chances on angering my immediate neighbors - wife included, especially with it being around 11PM and all. So I rolled it half way down the block and onto the side street, and turned it over.

I **** my pants and almost dropped the bike. That's how f-ing loud it is.

I'm no stranger to loud. I just sold a Ducati with Termi pipes to buy the VTX, and that Duc could quack ferociously loud. But DAMN! Bubs on a VTX is a different beast altogether!

Thankfully, the manufacturer makes something called stealth baffles, which I am promptly ordering when I'm done typing this message. The annoying thing is that the guy I got 'em from, a dealer who pulled them off a used bike, said they were baffled. I'm not so sure these fellas know what baffles are, after all, they did ship the pipes unwrapped in styrofoam peanuts, which got lodged in between the pipes and heat shields, requiring quite a bit of time to fish out with picks and bent coat hangers.

What's more scary is that supposedly, these pipes are considered mid-level loud. I can't imagine that, honestly.

(I'll post a photo and maybe a video soon. I would have tonight, but it took too long to clean myself up.)

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
Don't expect the stealth baffles to make that big a difference

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Jeez....if they are that loud I am guessing someone removed the stock baffles that come in the pipes when new. LOL I can't imagine how loud they must be, as with baffles they are still pretty loud when on the gas, but actually rather mellow at idle. Not as mellow as the stockers though.

·
The BuB Guy
6,538 Posts
jeez....if they are that loud i am guessing someone removed the stock baffles that come in the pipes when new. Lol i can't imagine how loud they must be, as with baffles they are still pretty loud when on the gas, but actually rather mellow at idle. Not as mellow as the stockers though.

+1

tomb

·
Registered
45 Posts
also

Also, remember at 11 PM, your streets and neighborhood is pretty darn quiet. Not like the daytime. So, i would think they would sound louder at night. Just my $0.02...

Ride on...:doorag:

·
Registered
615 Posts
So I put my new pipes on my bike tonight. Bub Jug Huggers. They look damn sweet, I must say! Way better than the dual water heaters that came stock. But as beautiful as the pipes are, they are frighteningly loud. Waaaay louder than I expected. How loud is frighteningly loud? Lets just say that once it was time to fire it up, I decided not to take any chances on angering my immediate neighbors - wife included, especially with it being around 11PM and all. So I rolled it half way down the block and onto the side street, and turned it over.

I **** my pants and almost dropped the bike. That's how f-ing loud it is.

I'm no stranger to loud. I just sold a Ducati with Termi pipes to buy the VTX, and that Duc could quack ferociously loud. But DAMN! Bubs on a VTX is a different beast altogether!

Thankfully, the manufacturer makes something called stealth baffles, which I am promptly ordering when I'm done typing this message. The annoying thing is that the guy I got 'em from, a dealer who pulled them off a used bike, said they were baffled. I'm not so sure these fellas know what baffles are, after all, they did ship the pipes unwrapped in styrofoam peanuts, which got lodged in between the pipes and heat shields, requiring quite a bit of time to fish out with picks and bent coat hangers.

What's more scary is that supposedly, these pipes are considered mid-level loud. I can't imagine that, honestly.

(I'll post a photo and maybe a video soon. I would have tonight, but it took too long to clean myself up.)
A quick word of advice...make sure to retighten the lock nut holding the endcaps on. Replacing one after it falls off is expensive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just an FYI, When I installed my Bubs they sounded like a JACK HAMMER when I was on the throttle at all, and pretty darn loud at idle. Turns out I had a small air leak at the exhaust manifold on my front pipe (that bottom nut can be a pain to reach) but after I snugged it up the pipes were much better. Growled at Idle and Howled with the throttle. Love the sound.

Problem was - after riding 3 days with the exhaust leak, I was beginning to like that JACK HAMMER sound.

Two lessons for you.
1. Make sure your pipes aren't leaking around the Exhaust Manifold, and ...
2. You'll be surprised how fast you'll get used to them. Anything sounds loud compared to those stealth pipes that come stock on the VTX.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
Also, remember at 11 PM, your streets and neighborhood is pretty darn quiet. Not like the daytime. So, i would think they would sound louder at night. Just my $0.02...

Ride on...:doorag:
yup.

First time I fired mine up it was 9PM. . . I thought I damn near shattered the night. . and damn near shat myself. .

Fire it up during the day, totally different experience.

I will agree though, there will be no more sneaking in and out of the neighborhood. . (I'm OK with that, I don't get along with my neighbors now) :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks

Two lessons for you.
1. Make sure your pipes aren't leaking around the Exhaust Manifold, and ...
2. You'll be surprised how fast you'll get used to them. Anything sounds loud compared to those stealth pipes that come stock on the VTX.
any recommendations for how to test this? use a soapy water solution and dab around the manifold?

I'm thinking time of day might make a bit of difference... they're still loud! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do they have baffle in them, being you bought them used???? The stealth baffles don't help much.
I think they do have the baffles. looking inside the pipe, I saw the columns of ridges/bumps. I've also been reading that the stealths don't make much of a difference.

·
Registered
806 Posts
any recommendations for how to test this? use a soapy water solution and dab around the manifold?

I'm thinking time of day might make a bit of difference... they're still loud! :D
Get a BBQ lighter (the long one) and fire the bike up, hold the flame of the lighter near the exhaust / head flange and see if the lighter goes out. An exhaust leak will blow the fire out or make it flicker, if not all is good!!
:congrats: on the Bubs, you will learn to love them when every one tells you your bike sounds awesome every where you go:thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
LOUD AIN'T A BAD THING :congrats: IT MAKESYOU SMILE MORE & SMILEING MAKES YOU HAPPIER AND BEING HAPPEIR MAKES LIFE EASIER :D
SO I SAY BE LOUD AND SMILE WHO CARES WHAT THE neighbors SAYS WE CAN'T HEAR THEM ANYWAY :twisted: JUST A VIEW FROM THE LOUD SIDE:pepper1:

·
Old Goat
24,794 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts