Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2006 1300 C with Vance and Hines pipes in April of 2009 . The previous owner only put 2300 miles on the bike and didn't know anything about what was done to the bike. :banghead:

The pipes are what concern me. The bike was not jetted after the new pipes were put on the bike. The previous owner stated the pipes were on the bike for approximately 1300 miles. I put some miles on her now and its sitting at around 4,500 total mileage.

Was any real damage caused by the bike not being jetted until now? The bike runs and sounds great (especially compared to my 1995 Honda Shadow 1100C).

I want a good air intake, thinking the Barons Big Air Kit: BA-2061-06. It doesn't seem to be out of the general pricing area for an upgraded air intake. Anyone have this kit? Pros? Cons? Recommendations? How difficult was it to jet the bike? Did your kit come with the jets?

Any recommendations are welcome, thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
If the bike runs good don't worry about getting it jetted.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
General rule is, mod the exhaust OR intake, you shouldn't need to re-jet. Mod them both, you should. You'll know if it needs it, because it feels really sluggish if it's not getting enough gas.

When I had my 1300, I did both and re-jetted myself, with the help of a friend who was experienced at wrenching. (Always helpful to have a friend helping, especially when you start getting too far into the 6-pack before the job is done.) I found it to be a pain in the butt, but then I don't do much wrenching beyond oil changes and swapping non-critical parts with prettier chrome ones. Once it was done though, it was definitely worthwhile -- the bike ran much better with the carb set up for the increased air flow.

Most air kits don't come with jet kits, but I think there are some that do. If they do, they usually state it pretty clearly. Check the 1300 board -- a lot of people have done it and can give you good info on how-to's and the best kits and jets to use for your specific set-up.

Good luck...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chances are you won't need a rejet if only the exhaust was changed. Does it pop on decel? If not, you're fine. Change the airbox, though, and you'll need to richen it up a bit. Folks on here will help you out on that.

Congrats on the bike.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
no need

as stated there is no need to rejet with just pipes. i have an 06 1300c also, bought mine new installed cobra pipes and a k&n filter ran it like that for a year no problems or damage i recently did the spyker mod to my air box then it was way to lean so i did the scar mod to the carb bike run great !! my son who rides a victory hammer rode it all he could say was wow whatd you do to that thing it really moves lol im happy with it hope this helps

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
General rule is, mod the exhaust OR intake, you shouldn't need to re-jet. Mod them both, you should. You'll know if it needs it, because it feels really sluggish if it's not getting enough gas.
er- not to call you wrong but I think I'm about to.

If you mod the exhaust there is no reason to rejet the bike. If you change the air intake, you definitly have to rejet, as you are changing the volume of air and the fuel/air ratio in the combustion chamber.

as far as the rest of your advice:

said:
When I had my 1300, I did both and re-jetted myself, with the help of a friend who was experienced at wrenching. (Always helpful to have a friend helping, especially when you start getting too far into the 6-pack before the job is done.) I found it to be a pain in the butt, but then I don't do much wrenching beyond oil changes and swapping non-critical parts with prettier chrome ones. Once it was done though, it was definitely worthwhile -- the bike ran much better with the carb set up for the increased air flow.

Most air kits don't come with jet kits, but I think there are some that do. If they do, they usually state it pretty clearly. Check the 1300 board -- a lot of people have done it and can give you good info on how-to's and the best kits and jets to use for your specific set-up.

Good luck...
:agree:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help, I think I am settling on the Barons Big Air Intake or a thunder manufacturing air intake. According to all the companies I have spoken with, these kits come with a jet kit. I am unsure of which to chose from, if they both perform the same or if one stands above the rest. Any prior knowledge of the air intake kits and ideas are always welcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts