Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the actual OEM rear brake pad thickness when new for a VTX 1800 ?

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big Jon said:
No, but you need to replace them when they wear down to the bottom of the slots.
Thanks Big Jon. I was already aware of replacing the pads when they wear down to the wear grooves.

The reason I asked about the pad thickness is I bought new double H aftermarket pads and they are slightly over 5/32 thick which doesn't seem very thick. The Honda dealer didn't have OEM pads in stock to sell or compare thicknesses.

Jack

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Big Jon said:
I'm not familair with them but, they may be a harder material. It won't affect the braking.
Thanks again Big Jon but as I stated in my first post, I'm really trying to find out is the thickness of the OEM brake pads.

I am familiar with the different material. The HH range brake pads I purchased are the OEM recommended friction range. These pads also come in GG and FF ranges. Each range will brake differently and contrary to your statement above, they could substancially affect the braking.

Your efforts are appreciated.
Jack

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
From what I've seen so far is all but 1 aftermarket rear pad is the same thickness as the front. While the Factory rear pad is almost twice a thick as the front.
I'm not sure of the spelling but it was like (Gaffler) who made the thick rear pad.

·
Registered
89 Posts
What choices are there for the rear brake? Honda online only has the OEM and one that is half as thick as the OEM.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike OK said:
From what I've seen so far is all but 1 aftermarket rear pad is the same thickness as the front. While the Factory rear pad is almost twice a thick as the front.
I'm not sure of the spelling but it was like (Gaffler) who made the thick rear pad.
According to Hondaonline, the EBC brake pads #FA261HH fit front and rear so that supports what you stated.

I've heard of Galfer brake products. I'll check them out.

Thanks Mike OK.
Jack

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I'm sorry if I seem condecending but, it seemed like a noob question. I've used the Galfer sintered pads a couple times. Don't know how they measure in thickness compared to OEM but, they do take quite awhile to seat. You seem to be intent on finding out the thickness of the OEM pads. I'm curious as to why. Care to devulge?

·
Registered
795 Posts
rear brake pads?

Just had mine replaced and it seems to me that they are way too thin for new pads. Ism there anyone on this board that knows the thickness of the OEM pads? Please no question to my question!! just an answer! thanks.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big Jon said:
I'm sorry if I seem condecending but, it seemed like a noob question. I've used the Galfer sintered pads a couple times. Don't know how they measure in thickness compared to OEM but, they do take quite awhile to seat. You seem to be intent on finding out the thickness of the OEM pads. I'm curious as to why. Care to devulge?
Hi BIg Jon,

If you read my second post above in reply to yours, it explains why I'm interested in the thickness of the OEM brake pads.

To go more indepth of why I'm interested in the thickness of OEM pads, if they are substancially thicker than the EBC pads I purchased then maybe the savings buying EBC pads aren't such a bargain after all. The OEM pads I am replacing aren't much thinner than the new EBC pads.

EBC recommends replacing thier pads when they wear down to about 2mm thick. If EBC is only 4mm when new, that means only 2mm, or half of total pad thickness is useable and then they will have to be replaced again. All brake pads take miles of braking to mate with rotors, especially used. HH range EBC pads can take up to 250 miles of urban riding and frequent braking to mate with the rotors. I wonder how much of the pad thickness that will take.

The only thing I'm not certain if is how long will it take to wear down 2mm of the pad thickness. Since I prefer to brake to slow down rather than shift down, I can't see it taking very long to wear down the pads.

I hope this answers your question.
Jack

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got a brake question going here as well and this is interesting. My thoughts are that the EBC are harder than the OEM. Maybe I'm wrong here but I hope not. I too passed on the OEM because of cost as compared to the EBC's. Usuallt aftermarket stuff is built to last, were as OEM stiff is built fot the best all around value( cost vs wear ). Sorry this doesn't help you any but I thought I may as well chime in.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wgnagey said:
I've got a brake question going here as well and this is interesting. My thoughts are that the EBC are harder than the OEM. Maybe I'm wrong here but I hope not. I too passed on the OEM because of cost as compared to the EBC's. Usuallt aftermarket stuff is built to last, were as OEM stiff is built fot the best all around value( cost vs wear ). Sorry this doesn't help you any but I thought I may as well chime in.
HH range is the recommended rating for the OEM pads so the HH rating is what I purchased in EBC pads. They are suppose to be made up of the similar composits and should be near equal hardness.

I didn't purchase the EBC pads because they cost less although that was a plus. OEM pads were not in stock at three places I checked. The dealers must be making a larger profit from the EBC pads since they don't even stock OEM pads. I look for safety, quality and expected service in products before costs when purchasing.

Just my thoughts.
Jack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts