Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the average price for labor to get a new rear tire installed? Where I got my front wants about $250 including Shinko 777 Ww.

·
Old Goat
24,860 Posts
Doesn’t really answer your question but....with me suppying the tire/s.....I pull mine and take Them to a mom and pop....$43....To have new tire installed....cycle gear use to charge $20 but have gone way up good luck

·
Registered
802 Posts
$35 per tire locally, either mc or darkside [not that you asked, but it came up today...the only time I ever felt terrified while riding was in the rain coming down the Sepulveda pass with Shinkos...will never ride 'em again].

·
Registered
986 Posts
What is the average price for labor to get a new rear tire installed? Where I got my front wants about $250 including Shinko 777 Ww.
Here's what my Local Honda dealer charged me:

Michelin Commander II Rear Tire + installation: $278.66 (Total out the door)
cost Breakdown:

Tire $154
Valve Stem: $15.49
Installation: (.75 hours) $82.50
Tire Tax: $2.00
Shop Supplies: $7.43
EPA Fee: $3.00
Sales Tax: $14.34

Got a Flat, Nail though Tire... New Tire
Michelin Commander II Rear Tire + installation: $295.81 (Total out the door)
cost Breakdown:

Tire $189.99
Valve Stem: not replaced
Installation: (.75 hours) $82.50
Tire Tax: none
Shop Supplies: $7.43
EPA Fee; none
Sales Tax: $15.89

·
Old Goat
24,860 Posts
A little help on cost would be kurvy gurl steel angled valve stems....they have a poly seal at the rim and Ive never read of a Seal failure...mine been on the bike at least 12 years and only replaced a valve and I think that was operator error...good luck

·
Registered
986 Posts
I wish i was set-up to remove the rear wheel on my R model. With no garage (i have a covered carport) and a slanted concrete "floor" in my carport it makes it hard. Yeah i could engineer something that would level out the Lift/Jack, then bolt the lift to the concrete to make it doable but at my age have decided not to pursue that.

I could also do it on the already level sidewalk that is immediately in front of my carport, but that is technically public space, don't want to leave the bike there while trekking to the shop.

One factor is my Honda dealership, in addition to likely having more skill and experience with Honda's, is that it is close by my home (2-3 miles). We don't plan our next flat tire, so if you buy the tire yourself on Ebay etc it could take a week+ to get it, if roadside assistance takes your bike "Home", they will not then take it to the shop a week later.

Yeah i would love to have a Lift/Jack suitable for the R, a tire mounting machine and wheel balance mach at my home, i could replace a tire for 1/2 the cost. But thats not going to happen.

I might save $75-$100 if i could find a small ma and pop shop, but i doubt they would drive me home while the bike is in que to get worked on that day (and pick me up when ready!), plus i would prob have to wait to get the tire off Ebay etc, a week.

Added: I gave the Kid $20 to drop me off and come back and get me, cost of being Single i guess. Also, i only did this when i had the valves adjusted, coolant, plugs changed.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little help on cost would be kurvy gurl steel angled valve stems....they have a poly seal at the rim and Ive never read of a Seal failure...mine been on the bike at least 12 years and only replaced a valve and I think that was operator error...good luck
I do have a right angle valve stem on it. I’ll likely get a new tube. The tire is about $120 on Amazon plus tube and dynabeads I guess I’m looking at around $100 to put it on. When they put on the front they lubed everything and gave it a once over.

·
Old Goat
24,860 Posts
I do have a right angle valve stem on it. I’ll likely get a new tube. The tire is about $120 on Amazon plus tube and dynabeads I guess I’m looking at around $100 to put it on. When they put on the front they lubed everything and gave it a once over.
Sorry wasn’t thinking tube good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cycle Gear charges $25 install if you buy the tire there, or $50 if you buy elsewhere. For a rear tire, Michelin Commander II,
170/80 B15 CycleGear: $183.81 + $25 installation

·
Registered
986 Posts
Cycle Gear charges $25 install if you buy the tire there, or $50 if you buy elsewhere. For a rear tire, Michelin Commander II,
170/80 B15 CycleGear: $183.81 + $25 installation
How much would cycle gear charge for complete removal and installation plus tire, do you know?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Same here, at CycleGear. (I'm a poet and I don't know it)
$25 for a simple installation while I chatted with the dude. (our local guys are cool)
Of course plus shhhload of extra fees but still better than going to a stealership.

My labor to put the bike on a stand, remove the rear brake, pull the axle bolt and roll out the wheel cost me 15 minutes and a beer. :) In the meantime, I had a chance to clean up the splines, re-lube them, inspect the brake and everything else. A stealership would come back with "you need a new transmission" or something ridiculous. :)

·
Old Goat
24,860 Posts
How much would cycle gear charge for complete removal and installation plus tire, do you know?
Your bike,your rulz...but personally I just wouldnt feel comfortable riding my bike that Somebody else had put the wheel On....I trust me....good luck

·
Registered
986 Posts
Your bike,your rulz...but personally I just wouldnt feel comfortable riding my bike that Somebody else had put the wheel On....I trust me....good luck
I'm not comfortable with just any mechanic working on my bike either. The mechanic at my local Honda dealer i have 100% confidence in, plus i like the guy. He was also a teacher at MMI. It is expensive at the stealer (dealer), i agree.

With "Ma and Pop" shops you run with more risk of shoddy workmanship. I.E. the owner letting his snot nose grandson work on someones bike, or his daughter's part-time drug addict husband, for example.

it would be nice to have all the necessary machinery at home to do it myself but like i said earlier, not feasible for me.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I usually buy a metzeler or Michelin tire in the 160.00 range from Dennis kirks outfit and install it myself. I charge myself 40.00 labor whitch is a good deal. Eo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts