Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
back in the "Old" days.. a farm tractor was a Harley...

slow reving.. just lugging along.. :)

what is the difference between
chug, chug, chug
and
potato, potato, potato..
about $3,000.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
what started life with a belt drive
then went to chain drive..

Harley, Farm Tractor.

but Harley returned to belt drive :)

Like I said.. I am OLD. with OLD Jokes.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
No Grandma here...lol I am actually an aggressive rider, surprised i havent had tickets. Here in this part of Arizona we have a ton of 45-50 mph rural roads, the ones i am talking about are mostly near and around the Tonto National Forest area. I love riding around there, the roads are pristine, no traffic (when i go) and nice twisties and elevation changes. Perfect for riding in 4th gear mostly. I believe i was lugging the engine too much in prior years thinking i wanted to get to 5th gear all the time. My thinking has changed
and i use 5th sparingly or when on the slab, highways *OR* on a nice stretch of flat road when i go 65-80+ mph. 3000 rpm in 4th and bike seems happy and ready to speed-up at any time. :p

Road this morning, it was glorious 0:)
I really like seeing someone that enjoys riding as much as I do. Our roads here are crap! However, just as you have discovered a new love of "4th" on pristine roads, I have discovered that the smoother interstates and highways here are perfect for my "5th" gear at or around 80mph which most likely ends up being anywhere between 78 and 83 but this vtx seems to purr with joy and I catch myself grinning at anyone that looks my way. :grin2:

·
Old Goat
24,077 Posts
I learned early on X does not like to be lugged....4th is my favorite gear....dont use 5th until I’m ready to go to Warp....>:)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Perhaps it was already an unwritten rule, but its my rule now.
Man my bike rides so sweet in 4th at 60mph, its a happy camper :laugh:
:dontknow:
Both my VTX 1800s ride fine in 5th at 60mph. If yours does not, there is something wrong with it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
:dontknow:
Both my VTX 1800s ride fine in 5th at 60mph. If yours does not, there is something wrong with it.
60mph is okay in 5th. imo, it's below 60mph where the VTX 1300 begins to approach the lugging range (especially on a road that changes elevations, or not flat.).
Also the VTX 1300 isnt a VTX 1800 so its not comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
60mph is okay in 5th. imo, it's below 60mph where the VTX 1300 begins to approach the lugging range.
Also the VTX 1300 isnt a VTX 1800 so its not comparing apples to apples.
Forgot to look at your sig. picture...
I had a 1300 and don't remember having problem in 5th in the 50-60mph range, but it was a long time ago, so probably I just forgot, how it was...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Forgot to look at your sig. picture...
I had a 1300 and don't remember having problem in 5th in the 50-60mph range, but it was a long time ago, so probably I just forgot, how it was...
That's cool. i'm not saying the vtx 1300 is lugging at 55-60mph, i am saying that starts to approach the area of lugging or "flirting" with lugging if you will. A lot depends on the roads, twisties, hills, that have a large effect on when ther bike begins to Lug.

Less clunking around and the bike just seems to actually like it. Not lugging, that is.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts