Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I got my speedometer faceplate from Webslinger and installed it tonight. Now I can more easily avoid tickets since this brings me back to KPH instead of MPH.

The install went pretty smoothly with the exception of dealing with the needle. I was worried about breaking it off so I cut the new faceplate near the bottom to allow me to slide it around the needle. I also cut the old faceplate off as I really won't be needing it again.

I also took the opportunity to dim the hi-beam indicator down by using a black sharpie marker and colouring over the bulb. Figured it was LED and shouldn't cause an issue and as you can see in the pics it is dimmer for sure.

I have a question about the speedo housing though, it does not seem to sit flush against the tank there is maybe a gap about this big || under the edge of the tank. I guess enough space for a bib. I just never noticed any gap before. I can't see how it can be flush as it snugs right up with the bolts.

After making a cut in the new faceplate I cut out small patch of electrical tape and covered the space. It is well hidden and prevented me from messing up the needle.

Anyways here are some pics and a little back story as to the design.

The initials are GJCS. Normally, initials mean little, but in my case it has the initials of my full name (yes there are two middle names, as well as the first initial of my name Greg, of my first son, Jacob, my second son Cameron and my wife Sara.

Speedo with no lights

Speedo with lights

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Hey all

I got my speedometer faceplate from Webslinger and installed it tonight. Now I can more easily avoid tickets since this brings me back to KPH instead of MPH.

The install went pretty smoothly with the exception of dealing with the needle. I was worried about breaking it off so I cut the new faceplate near the bottom to allow me to slide it around the needle. I also cut the old faceplate off as I really won't be needing it again.

I also took the opportunity to dim the hi-beam indicator down by using a black sharpie marker and colouring over the bulb. Figured it was LED and shouldn't cause an issue and as you can see in the pics it is dimmer for sure.

I have a question about the speedo housing though, it does not seem to sit flush against the tank there is maybe a gap about this big || under the edge of the tank. I guess enough space for a bib. I just never noticed any gap before. I can't see how it can be flush as it snugs right up with the bolts.

After making a cut in the new faceplate I cut out small patch of electrical tape and covered the space. It is well hidden and prevented me from messing up the needle.

Anyways here are some pics and a little back story as to the design.

The initials are GJCS. Normally, initials mean little, but in my case it has the initials of my full name (yes there are two middle names, as well as the first initial of my name Greg, of my first son, Jacob, my second son Cameron and my wife Sara.

Speedo with no lights

Speedo with lights

That real cool looking. Your bike can go 200:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine also sets up off of the tank. Had mine off once and when I put it back on I noticed the gap. From all that I have looked at, that gap is normal. Why a gap ? IDK. Might have sumting to do with water drainage and preventing rust.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine also sets up off of the tank. Had mine off once and when I put it back on I noticed the gap. From all that I have looked at, that gap is normal. Why a gap ? IDK. Might have sumting to do with water drainage and preventing rust.
It could be, I just never noticed the gap before. It would prevent any rubbing on the paint. At least it seems normal.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
It could be, I just never noticed the gap before. It would prevent any rubbing on the paint. At least it seems normal.
Mine and I believe all have a gap. But why couldn't they have put a rubber gasket like the one on the taillight?:dontknow:

·
Registered
119 Posts
That looks very cool, Doronik! I can't wait to see it in person on our next ride!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Looks good,

Those initials came out looking GREAT :thumbup:

I thought it was just some tribal design until you pointed it out. When (if) you ever decide to sell it, you won't even have to worry about it.

One question though, does your speedo go up to 200 mph?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good,

Those initials came out looking GREAT :thumbup:

I thought it was just some tribal design until you pointed it out. When (if) you ever decide to sell it, you won't even have to worry about it.

One question though, does your speedo go up to 200 mph?
That is in KPH...which helps since I am in Canada. Now will it do 200kph? no idea. Doubtful and I don't plan on trying it haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts