Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over to honda dealer Saturday had new tires put on my 1300c. Woke up Sunday morn had coffee in my man cave while i checked out my new tires. Low and behold a dry wall screw in the rear tire. Not even 100 miles on em.

·
Old Goat
24,077 Posts
___it happens...not telling u what to do...but many on here including myself plug and play....good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually that's the question should i plug n play..pull and patch..or replace it ? I do alot of 2 up riding with my wife.

·
Old Goat
24,077 Posts
Actually that's the question should i plug n play..pull and patch..or replace it ? I do alot of 2 up riding with my wife.
As with anything on here your gonna get opinions...in the end the choice is yours....but as I said plenty on here have miles and miles... :thumbup: I dont know what else I can add...

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
if done by the book.... clean area well.. use a good amount of cement...

I have put 15,000 miles on a plugged tire..

plugged many tires....

your call..

if you like... find a place that has the plug and patch together. its installed from the inside.
I have never used them.. but have installed them for others.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If it was me i would purchase a new tire its you life your taking a chance with can you put a price on it that is just me i ride with my wife all the time i would never take a change with a plugged motor cycle tire

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
your tire dealer and manufacturer, Thanks You..

if your tire WOULD fit my bike ( it won't )
I would pay your shipping.. and I would have my next New tire.

my wife road with me.. from 1971 to 2005..... all over the east half of these USA...
plugs or not.

392,000 motorcycle miles over 50 years.... not one plug ever leaked or failed.

you are the only one that needs to Live with this choice..

sleeping at night is good.

by the way. I had a NEW tire valve fail one day after install.. stuff happens.
3 years ago.

make a choice on fact.. not fear....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been using plugs in tires for so many years I could not even remember any that have failed. My boys Ford escape had a hole so big I had to use two large plugs to seal it that was 3 years ago TPMS has never come on. a drywall screw is small you wont have any problems just ream the hole and use a lot of cement glue and keep an eye on it for a week or so.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Same here. Been “plugging” for decades, never leaked or blew out. Now I use a mushroom shaped plug with a special gun to insert.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Went over to honda dealer Saturday had new tires put on my 1300c. Woke up Sunday morn had coffee in my man cave while i checked out my new tires. Low and behold a dry wall screw in the rear tire. Not even 100 miles on em.
If it's near the center tread plug it and ride on. If it's closer to the outside edge, I replace the tire. Only so much of the tread area is safe to plug. YMMV

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Contacted the dealer told the service manager about my misfortune got a new tire replaced for a hundred bucks out thw door. That's excellent customer service. It was ride now power sports. They are a local honda dealership in las vegas. I was flabbergasted!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Ride On has been around for about 15 years and claims to plug holes up to 1/4" on motorcycles. In our litigious society my guess is the product has not failed resulting in injury, certainly there are a lot of people riding with holes plugged with it that don't even know they are riding on plugged holes and may never know. Also keeps the tire balanced for its life. A string or mushroom plug with ride on would give double insurance and never go out of balance. I had a catastrophic rear blowout 2 up about 80 mph without issue but tire wasn't salvageable. Also had a good size cut in the rear tire from a rock, took the tire off along the road, put a large truck patch on the inside of the carcass, rode it 3500 miles home at highway speeds.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Contacted the dealer told the service manager about my misfortune got a new tire replaced for a hundred bucks out thw door. That's excellent customer service. It was ride now power sports. They are a local honda dealership in las vegas. I was flabbergasted!
That is awesome. :thumbup:

What brand and model of tire did you have and replaced with???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts