Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after much searching on here under "chirping and humming noise" I have not found an exact answer to my problem. So hopefully someone can chime in some good thoughts on the matter:D Ok, here we go: Went to Dealer ( I know first mistake lol) Bought 2 brand new Dunlop E3's while installing them they found the Flange bearings to be worn badly(2002VTX 1800R 17,000 miles) , I ordered the whole set of Bearings from Directline parts ($49.00) which comes with 2 sets(front & back) of wheel bearings and the Flange bearings. I also had them change the drive shaft, brake, clutch fluids. Now for the problem....When I am driving alone I get a "Cricket" noise at 55mph, which goes away and soon as I take the load off, not real noticable, but i know it's different then before. I can live with that noise. The bigger problem, however, is when my wife is riding on the back, I am getting this noise from the rear that sounds like a Truck with oversized tires on it makes, that "Tire road noise" when you run mudder tires on blacktop. Also, it seems that my seat(Mustang) seems to get hotter when she is on the back. Could the seat be rubbing on the tire or fender? I don't know if thats possible? I weigh 197lb and she is around 170lb (I think:dontknow:) I have not checked the air pressure or shocks yet ( been riding too much lol) Mostly, I am concearned about our safety. Could it be a faulty new flange bearing or wheel bearing? What about wrong fluid in drive shaft or too little of fluid? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
What is the preload set at on your shocks? Maybe try firming it up a notch or two. The "factory" calls for a maximum load of 400 lbs., although with good shocks you can carry a good bit more.

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
check that the arrow's on the tires are going the correct way. second check the tires for rocks or something in the tread. click, click noise.
the spring preload should be up to 5 when riding 2 up. otherwise set at 2 or 3 for your weight.

it is possible one of the new bearing was damaged being installed, or defective. anything is possible.

I run the E3's, good tires.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I have a humming/tire noise too at certain speeds -- like 50-60 I think.....seems to be from the rear. Bike has just over 3,000 miles on it.....stock tire, almost worn out....for mine I was assuming it is the tire.....

·
Super Moderator
63,885 Posts
Check the air pressures
Check for the tire rotation arrows are going the right way
No the seat can't rub on the tire, fender can, but you would see scars on the tire from that
Check that they filled the final drive with gear lube, see http://tech.bareasschoppers.com for that

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies, will try them all after I get some shut eye.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:

Well, the arrows are pointing correct. Thats all I got to because my new motorcycle cover came in the mail and was busy with that. I doubt the tires was the cause since it only makes the noise when my wife is on the back. I did set my pre-load to 5 on both sides (was 3). Maybe it will help, but once again do not think it would be that, but trial and error, right.:roll: So the proper level of drive shaft fluid is when the bike is on kick stand (leaning) and the fluid just seeps out a little? I will check tomorrow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE 2

Ok, I checked air tire pressure and it was 32 in both front and rear. Inflated tires to 42 each. Took it back to Dealer who did the work and watched him check the drive fluid. Fluid is right where it should be. He said if the noise continues it might be the "after market bearings I went with"(remember, they wanted $125/parts for just the 2 flange bearings) So to sum up the work so far......Set pre-load from 3 to 5; Air Pressure from 32 to 42; drive fluid checks out; tires are properly mounted (Arrow in right direction). I took it for a short spin on hwy doing 55-80 mph. "Cricket Noise" is still around 55mph only under Load. Next test is to have the wife ride with me and see if I get the same "Road Tire Noise" as before.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Check the...

ajh,
Have you had the dashboard on the gas tank off lately?? If so or even if you haven't check that the little plastic washers under the tank between the screws & tank mounts are all in good shape & screws are snugged down. I made & put some leather washers where the plastic ones go & it took the noise away. Some on this forum have put gray tape/duct tape over the threads on the tank prior to installing the screws. Check it out.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just did the bearings on the rear and front wheel and i got a brake pad noise until they re-seat, the front was worse still have a little pad noise, been about 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
just think , some folks pay high dollar for them sound machines that chirp and stuff.

Well, after much searching on here under "chirping and humming noise" I have not found an exact answer to my problem. So hopefully someone can chime in some good thoughts on the matter:D Ok, here we go: Went to Dealer ( I know first mistake lol) Bought 2 brand new Dunlop E3's while installing them they found the Flange bearings to be worn badly(2002VTX 1800R 17,000 miles) , I ordered the whole set of Bearings from Directline parts ($49.00) which comes with 2 sets(front & back) of wheel bearings and the Flange bearings. I also had them change the drive shaft, brake, clutch fluids. Now for the problem....When I am driving alone I get a "Cricket" noise at 55mph, which goes away and soon as I take the load off, not real noticable, but i know it's different then before. I can live with that noise. The bigger problem, however, is when my wife is riding on the back, I am getting this noise from the rear that sounds like a Truck with oversized tires on it makes, that "Tire road noise" when you run mudder tires on blacktop. Also, it seems that my seat(Mustang) seems to get hotter when she is on the back. Could the seat be rubbing on the tire or fender? I don't know if thats possible? I weigh 197lb and she is around 170lb (I think:dontknow:) I have not checked the air pressure or shocks yet ( been riding too much lol) Mostly, I am concearned about our safety. Could it be a faulty new flange bearing or wheel bearing? What about wrong fluid in drive shaft or too little of fluid? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.:popcorn:
Any you got one for free!
Blurbn:dontknow:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts