Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently given a "de-trike'ed" '02 VTX1800R (other posts in the tech section and new member intro section).

Yesterday, I committed to buying George's '03 VTX1800C MotorTrike, which is in the shop having the FPR replaced (it was already there for some time, but "any day now").

So, since he no longer has bikes, he told me he had no need for his bike-related stuff and gave me a small utility trailer AND a camper he recently finished building, starting with the axle from his old camper. It's a small, low profile unit, sleeps 2, has room for an ice chest and storage bin up front, and a 4-door cubby storage inside. It's got solar panels to power the inside lights, smart phone and/or other low-amp 110 stuff, and a pigtail to plug into campsite power when available.

He built it with a bogie steering setup which means (with a trike that has no reverse), I'll be doing only pull-thru maneuvers and limited parking lot negotiation. The steering does give it nice articulation, but I'm sure I need to get used to the whole package, as I've only driven trikes 3 or 4 times, and never towing a trailer.

Anyway, here it is!

IMG_7442.JPG

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Cool!
Need one

Reactions: GrandPaul

·
Old Goat
25,495 Posts
I dont see any solar panels or satellite dish.....

Reactions: GrandPaul

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont see any solar panels or satellite dish.....
Solar panels are on the roof at the rear. It's just 2 small panels to charge a motorcycle battery. Low amps.

Reactions: TennX

·
Registered
9,791 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I just don't know how you guys do it pulling a trailer? One of the most endearing aspects of MC riding to me is being able to work my way through traffic and just jam with freedom. Sure, I like the scenery and all that but, I love the ability to go where autos can't, and to be able to beat it down the side-line. Just seems like to much of an anchor to make up for some hotel fare. But hey, Freak Freely!

Reactions: lofty

·
Premium Member
7,404 Posts
I just don't know how you guys do it pulling a trailer? One of the most endearing aspects of MC riding to me is being able to work my way through traffic and just jam with freedom. Sure, I like the scenery and all that but, I love the ability to go where autos can't, and to be able to beat it down the side-line. Just seems like to much of an anchor to make up for some hotel fare. But hey, Freak Freely!
Yeah, but it seems the best possible way to road trip and not hotel it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just don't know how you guys do it pulling a trailer?
Make the miles with the trailer, PARK the trailer, go have all the fun you want and spend the $100/day on FOOD!!! (and gas).

I'll bet you've never been to Barber's...

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Barbers cycle museum? Sure. Why would you assume I had not. Also been to the AMA museum, among others. Not that I'm overly fond of Alabama. Liked "Wheels through Time" in NC MUCH better. It's barbers, as in haircutters I avoid like the plague. What's it have to do with trailers? If I needed to 'make miles' I'd put the bike on a trailer. But, 50 years into it (biking) I haven't felt the need for it yet. Have fun. It looks well constructed. I just know I'd blow that thing right off jamming down the split. I'll bet you've never been to Psycho Mongos. A bike hangout on 1st, off of Houston, NYC. See assumptions can work both ways. Safe riding.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Barbers cycle museum? Sure. Why would you assume I had not.
OK I lost the bet.

The thing is not just to get there, but take it all in including the riding in the area, then do it all over again.

I've actually never camped at Barber's because I've only ever raced there. Since the only way I could race was to take the wyfe and kid, that meant motel. THAT meant a slog back and forth every morning and evening, with no time to ride the area. So, the racing was all the decent riding I got in.

Now, maybe it will be different...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts