1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
Matthew welcome to the VTXOA.
Cleaning and stripping the tank.
The fuel pump is in the tank.
Remove it to get better access.
There is a Fuel Pump Regulator (FPR) on the Throttle Body fuel rail.
They have been failing frequently over the past 5 years.
A good reference is the parts fiche https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/motorcycle/2002/vtx1800s-a
Open all the power connectors, inspect, spray contact clearner or wd40, close it up if good.

In the Step by Step section is the "Ground Fix" and other things.
Ground fix should be a high priority.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. The tank on my bike was expanded to a little over 8 gallons. The weld was a little porous and seeped so the PO did a tank liner. Didn’t prep metal and the liner has peeled. Just stripped off all paint and bondo today. Soaking interior with acetone today so I can get the old liner out before fixing a few spots on the weld.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the board Matt. Below is another example of what it can look like when you're done. But, you'll never be done if you hang around here

Ride Safe
Very nice! I don’t think I’ve ever owned a bike I thought was done.... have to tinker.
Mechanically this one is great. Even after 80k. I have been on many trips with it just not driving it. (Belonged to a relative) need to get this tank fixed this week because I have a long weekend coming up...

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
I had to go back to you pic, the rear does not taper down like stock.
I remember one guy on this forum that made a 7 gal plus tank.
Pictures are gone now.
Someone had a clogged vent from liner so it did not run long before a vacuum prevented gas flow.
Are you welding or soldering the pin holes?
Flowing air into the tank during repair??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had to go back to you pic, the rear does not taper down like stock.
I remember one guy on this forum that made a 7 gal plus tank.
Pictures are gone now.
Someone had a clogged vent from liner so it did not run long before a vacuum prevented gas flow.
Are you welding or soldering/brazing the pin holes?
Flowing air into the tank during repair??
Already done. Used a wire in the vent to be to keep clear during lining today. TIG welded the area in question. Only took about 4 hours in acetone to slough off the old pieces of liner then etched with acid, neutralized, dried, and sealed. Letting it set up now.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Welcome to the VTXASG (VTX Addition Support Group) .... where we gladly support each other's addiction. :D

Where do you hail from, Matthew?
Very nice S-model, drooling here. Post pictures of the gas tank when you get a chance, really curious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the VTXASG (VTX Addition Support Group) .... where we gladly support each other's addiction. :D

Where do you hail from, Matthew?
Very nice S-model, drooling here. Post pictures of the gas tank when you get a chance, really curious.
I live west of Atlanta, Georgia. I grew up in Illinois. been riding and customizing for about 30 years.
Tank was cut from the top front along the bottom edge of the side curve around the back. Opened up about 2-3 inches on the back, then a filler strip was welded back in. The rear is taller, but it isn't too bad. The spedo cluster is still easily readable from a riding position. I used RedKote on it this time, and have had good luck with it in the past, even with older tanks. Just had to do proper prep work.
Been riding my 75 r90, and a vw trike my dad built years ago. Got the vtx specifically for traveling. Compared to my other vehicles, it seems pretty happy at highway speeds.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For some reason my posts aren’t posting. I live west of Atlanta. Grew up near Peoria Illinois. I currently ride my R90 and a Vw trike my dad built. I picked up the vtx specifically for longer trips. It is much happier at highway speeds than either of my others.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
For some reason my posts aren’t posting. I live west of Atlanta. Grew up near Peoria Illinois. I currently ride my R90 and a Vw trike my dad built. I picked up the vtx specifically for longer trips. It is much happier at highway speeds than either of my others.
When you are a new member, your first 4 or 5 posts have to be reviewed by a moderator / administrator before being posted, after that you are good to go. Welcome aboard from New Mexico

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
West of the Big A...
I live SSE of the Big A.
When I visit my son I might take Sou Fulton Pkwy to 166 to Villa Rica to 278 to 27 to Ga1 bypass to Ft Payne.
Sometimes I take 285 to I-20 west to Villa Rica.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rob here. Been riding 40 years, Mesa AZ. Started my V Twin journey in '91, with a Yami XV920. Switched to Honda in 2003, picked up an 85 VT1100 Shadow. Wicked bike. Loved it so much I picked up a 96 VT1100 ACE. Over next 10 years 2 cager a$$holes totaled out both Shadows, 5 years apart.
So move to this spring, I put my big boy pants on and got an 02 VTX1800 C. much like the 85, this is a wicked bike.
Hello to all from Arizona.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts