Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Just need a little advice. I just purchased a 2006 and a 2003 VTX 1300's,
The 03' has just under 14K
The 06' Has just over 43K
Is there anything I really need to watch out for on these bikes? Both have some valve clatter, I think the 03' has more than the 06' though and the 03' has a vibration that travels through the set, handlebars and floorboards, but I think it may be because of the spoke wheels it has, was never a fan of spokes.
Any info would be helpful. I'm used to riding and working on Harley's so Honda is kind of new territory to me :)

Kik

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
How old are the tires??? Any mods???
2003 has an electric fuel pump, the only year a 1300 had a fuel pump.
The fuel pumps die sometimes. Gravity flow 2004 and up.

Around 52 MPH in 5th gear, put your hand on the fuel tank. Vibrations??

VTX has cam followers. Manual adjustment.
Valve clatter is better than no clatter. Typically as valve faces and seats wear-in some clearance lost.
Exhaust valves will also stretch some so they lose more clearance than intakes.
I have 3 docs of valve adj.
The Honda" lets take it to a dealer often"(8k miles) is BS.
My VTX 1300 Intake .006" .15mm;;; Exh .012" .30mm
I did all my valve adjustments. 1300 has first one real early.
A chance for dealer to make money. 8000 mile intervals are ridiculous.
Miles
1529 6/24/05 First valve adjustment--several tight valves
12,062 2/20/06 Adjust valves, exh was .001 tight, in=ok
23,922 7/26/06 check/adjust valves
52,542 2/13/08
adj valves(exh .001 tight)
93,210 8/07/10 adj valves- rear exh .001 tight
135,898 25Feb 2013 Checked/adj valves: tightened up all three Frt cyl valves; rear were all good.
The front IN were .007 and a hair, EXH was .013 and a hair. I almost left them alone..
190,563 26apr2019 Check valves.
TWO Frt IN were .007" ; Frt EX was .013" all adjusted.
One Rear IN .007" and Rear EX .013" both were adjusted

Reactions: WheelsJr

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tites are new on both bikes. No engine mods just lights and crash bars. Windshields...03 might have some exhaust work as its twice as loud as the 06. But it looks like stock exhaust pipes. I'll let you know about vibration on tank in a day or two. When I can get back on the bikes.
Thank for the reply.
Kik

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Where are you located? Someone in your area might be able to help with the valve adjustment and other things.

Welcome to VTXOA

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you located? Someone in your area might be able to help with the valve adjustment and other things.

Welcome to VTXOA
I'm in Elgin, IL.
I probably need to buy a service manual, and probably a few specialty tools knowing my luck...lol

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
You should update your profile with your location and your bikes years and models, C R or S,
That will help when you ask questions here. Lots of good help here on VTXOA.

Here is a link to a service manual that member "Harkon" posted for another member asking for help:
"Here is a 2004 R/S service manual. The specs are much the same R to C."
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgjwdi2qtla9w4j/Honda VTX1300R_S 2004 Service Manual.pdf?dl=1

Also the link to info from someone else asking for info and the the service manual post was in:

A lot of information to help you here on the "How To" board. Google is also very helpful.
How To, Step-by-Step

You can ask any question you have on this forum and you will get answers. Many knowledgeable people that can help you thru just about anything.

:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should update your profile with your location and your bikes years and models, C R or S,
That will help when you ask questions here. Lots of good help here on VTXOA.

Here is a link to a service manual that member "Harkon" posted for another member asking for help:
"Here is a 2004 R/S service manual. The specs are much the same R to C."
https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgjwdi2qtla9w4j/Honda VTX1300R_S 2004 Service Manual.pdf?dl=1

Also the link to info from someone else asking for info and the the service manual post was in:

A lot of information to help you here on the "How To" board. Google is also very helpful.
How To, Step-by-Step

You can ask any question you have on this forum and you will get answers. Many knowledgeable people that can help you thru just about anything.

:)
That's great. Thank you very much. How do I tell what model they are? Neither bike has any decals other than the VIN.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There is supposed to be a decal on the frame

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The C model has cast wheels and more sporty fenders.
The R model has cast wheels and the S model has spoke wheels. Both the R & S have the larger full type fenders. You could post some pictures for us to see also.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Post pictures, someone will know from looking.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm in Elgin, IL.
I probably need to buy a service manual, and probably a few specialty tools knowing my luck...lol
Im in Charleston illinois, be glad to make a ride out of it ive got 90k+ between my og heavily modified 1300c and the other c i sold a few years ago. If you can have a problem with a vtx ive seen it (between mine and 2 good friends that have them) be glad to help any way i can

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The C model has cast wheels and more sporty fenders.
The R model has cast wheels and the S model has spoke wheels. Both the R & S have the larger full type fenders. You could post some pictures for us to see also.
I will take some but for what you say, my 06 is an R and my 03 is an S fenders are the same full flare type on both bikes. I'll take pictures tomorrow, we're having bad storms right now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, I think my valves are a little loud, too, but have been since 3500 miles. I have the ‘03 S with 9800 miles. I need to check and adjust.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will take some but for what you say, my 06 is an R and my 03 is an S fenders are the same full flare type on both bikes. I'll take pictures tomorrow, we're having bad storms right now.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Red 1300R someone did not like the cast wheels and put on spokes..

·
Registered
942 Posts
Cast are easier to clean than spokes. I actually like the cast wheels better.
Oh, don’t get me wrong, I was just just surprised last week when I had the front wheel off for the first time. I had spikes on the last bike and white walls, double whammy for cleaning.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts