Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, and thanks for having me on the forum! I just bought a 2003 VTX1800R today with 2700 original miles. It has a lot of aftermarket parts, including HardKrome Sideburners, K&N style filter, and Power Commander. Also has driving lights, crash bars, floor boards, chrome mirrors, aftermarket grips, windshield, etc. I have ridden it once, to the gas station, and noticed that there is some pretty severe popping on decel. Anyone have any idea how to correct? I have a friend with a VTX1300C that suggested pair valve block off plates. He also recommended that I get on here and ask about the programming specifics for around 950' above sea level.

Looking forward to being part of the group!

Thanks,
John

Attachments

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
You may need to tune the power commander and tighten exhaust nuts.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I've got HK Sideburners on my 1800 as well. Even at 2,250 feet in elevation, I get some popping on decel. I went with a Cobra FI2000R pot-knob style fuel programmer but all it does is add fuel per injector cycle based on the pot knob settings. If I were at lower elevation where the bike ran even leaner, I'd spend a little extra and get a Power Commander V and have it tuned on a dyno. It's not that much more money but it will return a lot better performance beyond getting rid of your decel popping. You'll likely even see better fuel mileage.

Performing the desmog/PAIR removal will help a lot but likely will not eliminate the popping completely.

Welcome to the forum! You've got an awesome bike there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Curt! I appreciate your response and feedback. Hoping to get the ol' girl tuned just right so I can enjoy her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Charlie. I have been doing some research on tuning the PC (this is my first FI bike) and will check the exhaust nuts as well. Appreciate your response!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Thanks, Charlie. I have been doing some research on tuning the PC (this is my first FI bike) and will check the exhaust nuts as well. Appreciate your response!
If you have the acorn nuts they need 2 washers behind them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got HK Sideburners on my 1800 as well. Even at 2,250 feet in elevation, I get some popping on decel. I went with a Cobra FI2000R pot-knob style fuel programmer but all it does is add fuel per injector cycle based on the pot knob settings. If I were at lower elevation where the bike ran even leaner, I'd spend a little extra and get a Power Commander V and have it tuned on a dyno. It's not that much more money but it will return a lot better performance beyond getting rid of your decel popping. You'll likely even see better fuel mileage.

Performing the desmog/PAIR removal will help a lot but likely will not eliminate the popping completely.

Welcome to the forum! You've got an awesome bike there!
Thanks Nate! I'm really excited about it. I got a brief chance to take a look at the bike earlier after work and it actually has the Power Commander V on it and not the 3. So, I downloaded the program and looked at some suggested maps for my configuration. Haven't hooked it up to the computer yet (my 5 month old is asleep!) Ordered some nice pair valve block off plates today, as well. I'll post updates once I have a little time to tinker. She's a beaut, for sure! Absolutely dwarfs my GL1000 and ZX11 in the garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts