Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone. I have been lurking on this site for sometime now, mostly reading up on the VTXs and trying to decide on whether it was the bike that I wanted. Well, didn't take long to make my mind up after going through numerous topics and hearing enthusiasm shared by everyone that owns one.

SO, the wife and head have been looking around for a month or so at different X's in the surrounding area and we saw one about 80 or so miles southwest of where we live in North Chicago (I'm stationed up in Great Lakes at the Naval Station). Long story short, we get down there, fall in love with the '02 1800 C after checking it out, and left with title in hand and a grin from ear to ear on my face. :D

Well, I get back on here yesterday, just scrolling through the topics as usual and then it hit me ... I saw this bike somewhere before!!! I'm sure most of you have too.

I can only hope that I can take care of it as well as it has been in the past!

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Welcome to the board.......Thats Chicago Spike's old bike he sold a month or so ago :lol: :lol: He bought a HD but he is still on the board, he'll be in here in a little while I'm sure.....wonder why the other guy who bought it a month ago sold it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, came to that conclusion too :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will admit that I was hesitate at first about getting it, because the dealer said that he didn't know the original owner, couldn't tell me much about the bike other than he got it from his buddy that owned a HD dealership (something about he could sell a Honda at the HD place).

But when I put 2 & 2 together and saw it was Spike's '02, I stopped worrying. I could really care less why he chose to sell it, but I am glad he did. The bike is immaculate and better looking in person!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Small world huh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great looking bike ya got there. spike, i'm sure took real good care of it.

Welcome !!!!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I didn't think spike sold it to a dealer, I thought he sold it to an individule, I know why spike sold it, I was just curious why the guy HE sold it to got ride of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure who he sold it either to or even how many people it went through when it left Spike's hand. Like I said, the dealer I bought it from said it came straight from the HD dealership his buddy owned up the road a bit.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Cool, here is his thread, I'm sure it has been well cared for even after he sold it........looks like he sold it to an out of state dealer......that way he didn't have to look at it and remember it :lol: :lol: Guess what Spike....................IT'S BACK............... :lol: :lol: and now you can see it on the board and around Chicago any time you want :wink:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=185432

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
I traded it in to my HD dealer and he found a buyer. That buyer must have been the dealer Doop purchased from. I went the trade in route to avoid the hassle of selling myself, and I got the price I was looking for and the trade in route also got me that little bit extra off taxes on the new bike. I'm glad you like it, it was hard for me to sell especially with my wife telling me to keep it and buy the touring bike I now have. Just couldn't justify having 2 with a new kid at home now. Enjoy it, she rarely saw rain, was kept warm all winter and covered in my garage 8)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:lol: My wife can't stop laughing at the circumstances.

Anyway, Spike, no worries brother, she will be taken care of. As for having to see her around Chicago, I'm afraid it won't be for much longer. We are slated to rotate out of here in 3 weeks, heading for sea duty in San Diego. Let me know if you are up around this way in the next couple weeks and we can meet up, do the picture thing and get the T-shirt.

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
3 weeks huh?? This weekend is almost done, next weekend I have friends from Tampa Bay in at our house and the weekend after that my best friends daughter is getting married. This, plus I just got back from 2 weeks away from home, my wife and kid stayed here while I went on a long ride through the mid-west so asking to go on a ride again is a tad touchy at this point in time :lol:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
3 weeks huh?? This weekend is almost done, next weekend I have friends from Tampa Bay in at our house and the weekend after that my best friends daughter is getting married. This, plus I just got back from 2 weeks away from home, my wife and kid stayed here while I went on a long ride through the mid-west so asking to go on a ride again is a tad touchy at this point in time :lol:
Wait...you guys have to ASK?

I'M
NEVER
NEVER
EVER
EVER
NEVER
NEVER

getting married if I have to ask. :)

tjk

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
No, I only have to ask when I am home less than a week from a 2 week ride. I ask, because that what you do with best friends before taking off 8)

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Carol said:
Chicago-Spike said:
I ask, because that is what you do with best friends before taking off 8)
+1
+2

Spike, Pretty cool your bike made it back to this board with its newest owner! BTW congrats Doop on getting the VTX, I met my hubby when he was at Great Lakes in 1975 and our youngest is in San Diego Marine boot camp right now. :wink: We were just up there in Illinois for a week to be with my family around June 23rd.

I thank you for your service in the military!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for not getting back sooner ... been making contacts over on the CA VTX boards for our arrival on the 2nd.

wildabouthorses, glad that your young-in opted to join. I wish him the best during the course of his service. It is definitely trying at times, but it pays the bills and keeps food on the table.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Chicago-Spike said:
I traded it in to my HD dealer and he found a buyer. That buyer must have been the dealer Doop purchased from. I went the trade in route to avoid the hassle of selling myself, and I got the price I was looking for and the trade in route also got me that little bit extra off taxes on the new bike. I'm glad you like it, it was hard for me to sell especially with my wife telling me to keep it and buy the touring bike I now have. Just couldn't justify having 2 with a new kid at home now. Enjoy it, she rarely saw rain, was kept warm all winter and covered in my garage 8)
Unfortunately, it won't save your dealer anything when he as to file his sales tax return. The trade-in should not reduce the price on which sales tax is computed in most states.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Doop. Welcome to the X-Citement! Always great to have yet another inmate join the asylum. Too cool that Chicago Spike's old X found it's way "home" again. Knowing the care he took of that bike, I do believe you have a ride that will bring you miles of smiles for years to come. Post often and let us know how the two of you are doing. Ride safe, ride often. 8)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Doop, you done good on the bike, as to Spike he surely goes down as the most photographed person at any Denver rally he has attended. I have no clue why, but he is there, in a lot of pics. Spike knows a lot and has been on this board a long time. He seldom gives bad advise, and his word is good. You have bought a bike, with a connection to this board. Welcome to the insanity.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts