Honda VTX Forum banner

New to the VTX game

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  flemingislandxrider 
#1 ·
Hey guys!
Just picked up an 02 1800C last night. First one for me and I can tell you I'm pretty jazzed about it!

It'll be my 5th bike, two of which I've built from the ground up, including frame alterations.

Got this bad boy as a (mostly) stocker that the wife and I can ride around and enjoy. Already planning on going through the regular maint stuff, oil change, final drive oil, coolant, brake fluids, and valve lash adjustment (shes got 36k on the clock and the guy I bought it from didn't ride it much, didn't own it long, and doesn't know much about the previous maint).
Also plan on de-smog and ground fix. After that I'm thinking I'll be sitting pretty on this one for a bit! Any other recommendations?

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

See less See more
#2 ·
A beauty. Don't see many greens, esp. w/ tribal flames. If you don't know much about the maintenance history, one thing you will need to spend ~$40 on is the FPR, or fuel pressure regulator. These go bad from age or neglect, not from usage or high miles. Have your battery fully charged, then take it to an auto parts store that will do an automotive 100 amp load test, not a 20 amp MC test. You can have 12 volts+, but a weak cell or more can cause you problems, especially with the 1800 electricals. Stick with a Yuasa battery if you do change it. Rubber more than 4-5 years is losing its gripping ability, regardless of amount of tread left, getting hard, beginning dry rot. Check the 4 digit sidewall code for the week/ yr. of mfg. All fluids draw moisture, not good. Should all be changed every few years. Clutch and brake are easy to see when they turn lt. brown. Once all the maintenances have been done you can feel safe taking it and riding it anywhere, any distance. The stock seat is a P.O.S. Your wife will really hate the back. An upgrade to a custom seat with new foam and gel inserts will help, but many just bite the bullet and go for a Mustang Tour or Ultimate X, or a Russell, or ? Others will be along to add to this. Feel free to ask any questions, even if they've been asked thousands of times. Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies.

Reactions: Megatron
#4 ·
Thanks! Yeah not sure if I'm a fan of it yet, though I am a Kawasaki guy usually so I should be used to it. Someone did pay some decent money on the paint, even has translucent skulls in the tribal flames if you look close.

All great tasks to add to my list! FPR is definitely a must from what I've read (been creeping around the forum since I started looking at the bike a couple weeks ago). One of the first things I did checking out the bike was the ol sniff test in the crankcase and it seemed to check out, but you're right it'll be good to have that peace of mind with a new one. Probably replace the battery also as the po did say when it's cold it will struggle a bit on engine turnover.

Seat upgrades will come later for sure, though as my wife said 'anything would be better than cramming onto that flat seat on the Kawaski' (I built it for one then bought a flat seat later so she could ride). Updating all maintenance and making it ultimately reliable is definitely my main concern for the immediate future.

#12 ·
Your right harkon, I was looking at that picture and thinking wow that's really clean compared to my bike and then your comment made me "see" what my brain noticed 😆🤣😂🙄

Reactions: Harkon
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.