Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VTX1800 C1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Not to step on any toes, but I had to step down from a Valkyrie to a smaller bike for health and storage reasons and the moment I test rode the VTX 1800C I knew that I was going to be able to do it. After 23 years of having the Valk power on command on my coast to coast rides it is a definite change but I think this new bike and I are going to become very close. Handles like a dream and I've already started ordering the accessories to make it mine. Looking forward to input from these forums to help me fine tune the final accessories to make it mine.
Thank you for your time.

This is what I have to start with

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
And you got a "C"! Great bike. I miss mine a lot.

It shouldn't be down on power all that much over the Valk, is it? The Valk had 100hp and about 95tq. The VTX about 90hp, 98tq. Many have seen over 100hp on the rollers. I know with mine I could stay lock step with a Valk until about 110mph. Then the Valk would pull away slowly.

·
Registered
12,491 Posts
Welcome to the VTXOA!
Looks like you have a good start project wise.
I do not see a tank flange so guessing a 2nd Gen 1800.
If you have a left side coolant cover between the jugs it is 2nd Gen.
Always good to know what year, there are differences.
You can add to "Signature Line" the year and model.
Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
2007 VTX1800 C1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And you got a "C"! Great bike. I miss mine a lot.

It shouldn't be down on power all that much over the Valk, is it? The Valk had 100hp and about 95tq. The VTX about 90hp, 98tq. Many have seen over 100hp on the rollers. I know with mine I could stay lock step with a Valk until about 110mph. Then the Valk would pull away slowly.
Thx for the response. My 1st Valk, a 97, had about 100HP after the mods. I sold it in 2016 with 90K miles on it and bought a new 2014 which was approx 120HP at the engine, 105HP at the rear wheel and 103 Ft lbs of torque. Still the VTX feels much more nimble than the Valk and a heck of a lot easier to get up \ down the ramp to my storage build. Also, from what I've seen of the VTX forums the riding community appears to be quite similar to the Valk community in that they like to work on their on bikes and share what works.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Welcome to the club.
I thought the VTX 1800 had over 100hp from factory, am I wrong? I cannot recall where I read the number but 114hp keeps popping up in my mind. Is that true or is my old-man-memory playing tricks on me?

·
Registered
2007 VTX1800 C1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the club.
I thought the VTX 1800 had over 100hp from factory, am I wrong? I cannot recall where I read the number but 114hp keeps popping up in my mind. Is that true or is my old-man-memory playing tricks on me?
I did find a couple of articles that show 105/106 HP and 120 Ft Lbs torque, but its at the engine. I didn't see anything for rear wheel numbers and it doesn't really matter as long as I can stay out of the way of other vehicles. It feels much more nimble than my Valk and makes me happy when I ride it. Just as importantly it doesn't cause me a lot of grief when I run it up, or down the ramp to put her away.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Congrats ! '02 1800C here. You got a great step already making it yours. Here is suggestion on the add one (1) Ultimate Seat,Progressive shocks and last 6" Risers. You will not regert will smooth out the ride ...welcome.

·
Registered
2007 VTX1800 C1
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats ! '02 1800C here. You got a great step already making it yours. Here is suggestion on the add one (1) Ultimate Seat,Progressive shocks and last 6" Risers. You will not regert will smooth out the ride ...welcome.
I've already ordered Baron X-Treme bars, Corbin seat, Kuryaken grips with throttle boss, and Viking bags. Have to put these on then see what I'm going to do next. Thx for the advice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Welcome to the OA and Happy Safe riding from the Land of Entrapment.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Welcome to the club.
105 at the crank as I recall. About 85 - 90 at the wheel.

Dyno numbers done after the fact are all over the place. Some up over 100hp at the wheel. It's not impossible, but with that said, the dyno operator can make that number whatever he wants.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Thx for the response. My 1st Valk, a 97, had about 100HP after the mods. I sold it in 2016 with 90K miles on it and bought a new 2014 which was approx 120HP at the engine, 105HP at the rear wheel and 103 Ft lbs of torque. Still the VTX feels much more nimble than the Valk and a heck of a lot easier to get up \ down the ramp to my storage build. Also, from what I've seen of the VTX forums the riding community appears to be quite similar to the Valk community in that they like to work on their on bikes and share what works.
The 1800's definitely had more giddiyup, that's a fact.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
My recollection is stock 89 hp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like your bike boss man. I also just got a 2003 vtx 1800c, but I upgraded lol. I would love to know what you people added to your bike. I was thinking about buying custom rims for mine because the stock rims are in horrible shape. For this i dont know where to start. Can anyone give me pointers in sizes.
Also Kury Hypercharger or No?

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Hyped charger: no performance gains, over priced, gets in the way of your leg, looks decent. Stock bad rims can be saved with plenty of elbow grease and sanding and polishing. If it hasn't already been changed, spend ~ $40 from Honda for a new FPR (fuel pressure regulator). Not a question of any high miles, abuse history, just the little diaphragm dries out, cracks, leaks fuel into the cylinders and into the crankcase. Telltale is a strong smell of fuel in the oil or on the dipstick, mileage going way down, starting and running badly. Stock plugs are good for 100K.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Everything that you wanted to know about the '02 VTX 1800C. From the June 2001 issue of Motorcycle Cruiser magazine.
Road Test: Honda VTX1800C Motorcycle | Motorcycle Cruiser
Thanks for the trip TinBC. It is amazing how magical the VTX was in the early 2000's and now, while still a great bike, make no mistake, has been surpassed in every advantage. Except maybe for longevity, and then we may see them discarded due to a lack of support parts.

I do remember reading about the big twin in 2002, just a bit after it's release, and thought to myself, what next? A big twin cruiser to challenge the V-Max? I know it's asking for an awful lot, but that would have been magical indeed. I would have wanted one even more. WhenI finally got my VTX I had little knowledge about it, other than it was, king of the mountain for a time. I once owned a previous king of the mountain in an '85 FJ1100. Also a great bike.

Reactions: TinBC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you Rangers4u. If i wont get no performance gains from the hyper charger then i wont bother with it. What about a different type of intake assembly rather than just the oem filter?
Im working on getting a FPR thats one thing i didnt think of being that it sat without maintenance for a long time im sure its over due. Attached are pictures of it before and after i cleaned her up. The rims do require lots of elbow grease with a light sand paper or steel whool to help. That im still working on plus gotta replace the brakes and install a brake kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
My PO had 5400 mi. on her when I bought it in 2011. I now have 25K+. So I average 1800-2000 mi. per year, not much by many's standards. The PO had dyno'ed the bike before I got it, by using a K/N air filter, and installing a Dynojet PC III fuel mgr., and drilling air inlet holes in the front leading edge of the airbox behind the chromed airbox cover while on the dyno machine. He also installed the HK 3" long-straights. Other than RTV-ing some screen mesh to cover those holes to keep critters out when she sits, The A/F ratio hasn't been changed. She still runs like a bear when I need it. Some of us have an older mod called 'SPyKER Mod'. This is a cutout of the face of the chromed airbox, and a decorative 4" screen/ grille installed. I have this, but since the PO already dyno'ed it, I didn't want to change the AF ratio or re-program anything, so I had him install a clear lexan plate behind the grille to prevent anymore air from changing anything. And blue LED's to shine out through the opening. I have 3 interchangeable grilles as the mood fits. The original big X, a scorpion (birth sign), and the radiation hazard symbol. I used to work as a lab tech/ courier for a nuclear pharmacy.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Thank you Rangers4u. If i wont get no performance gains from the hyper charger then i wont bother with it. What about a different type of intake assembly rather than just the oem filter?
Im working on getting a FPR thats one thing i didnt think of being that it sat without maintenance for a long time im sure its over due. Attached are pictures of it before and after i cleaned her up. The rims do require lots of elbow grease with a light sand paper or steel whool to help. That im still working on plus gotta replace the brakes and install a brake kit.
There are some things you can do to the stock cover to get better air flow. The first is to take that snorkel abortion off and toss it. That's part of the pair removal process. If you search the board, some added standoffs to the cover to lift it a bit so air could get in the sides. Some cut slots in the sides. I had cut a design in the face of it and covered from the inside with a screen. There are universal K&N adaptions that actually look pretty good, and work well. Using the throttle body adapter that comes with the hypercharger, or a good many Kuryakyn air cleaners, it is possible to find a great many Harley filters that will fit. I can't say for certain, but the air cleaner on my 2012 103 twin cam looks like it would have bolted right up to that adapter. I couldn't guarantee it, but they look very much the same. The gasket looked identical. If you figure out that combination, options are limitless.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts