Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

21 yrs old and I bought my first bike a few weeks ago and want to give an overview of what I've experienced so far. I've read many threads on here and am thrilled with the responses and knowledge of this forum.

Bike:
2007 VTX 1800f bone stock with 5000 on the odometer.

So far I've noticed the transmission is pretty clunky and the valve are very noisy. From reading on here that sounds characteristic of the bike.

In the near future I'm planning on upgrading the exhaust to Vance & Hines with thunder monster baffles. Also I'm going to go synthetic to help with transmission and because its a better oil. Not in a huge hurry on this, but I do want to get a better seat. Of course going to get the valves checked at 8k

I spent ten hours on it today and had a blast.

If there's any suggestions or reassurance about the bike, I'd love to here it!

Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the board. You've got yourself a beast of a bike! If your not an experienced rider, go treat yourself to an MSF basic rider course. I've seen several seats of late on the 1800 classifieds. Corbin, Ultimate, and Mustang. There is always the option of getting yours reworked. Best part is you have many years and tens of thousands of miles of great riding ahead of you with your new X.
:congrats:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Congratulations; you done real good. I recently got an '06 F myself and I love it. I added a Mustang seat and Kury floorboards and I am just riding it now, as it already had everything else I wanted. I am running synthetic and while the trans isn't silent, it shifts real easy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I have taken a safety course, well worth it. Only complaint is the bike is just pretty noisy, which I suppose with stock exhaust it's easy to hear EVERYTHING.

·
Super Moderator
63,891 Posts
Welcome to the board!
Bookmark or save to your favorites folder, these websites, http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
This is the NEW VTXOA Garage, a sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/ A fellow VTX Riders site that has many write-ups on “How-To” do work on the VTX. Also, for you 1300 guys http://vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS.htm another fellow VTX Riders site.
There is also a helpful Search icon in the users Toolbar just under the VTXOwners Association banner
Click the “Search” drop down and select “Advanced Search”
Now, enter your keywords and select a single forum to search in
Select 1, and only 1 "Forum" to search in at a time, or at all.
For example, "Best airbox" I would only search in the "1800 Tech Board"
That's the basic way, you can limit further by using some of the other "Drop-Down" menu's like if you know the thread you are looking for is only a week or so old, etc....
The purpose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
How To Use This Forum, Click Here
Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749
Also, update your Profile to include where you live and what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S/T

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stock Exhaust

I just put the stock pipes back on. I like the quiet. But you are right, you hear everything. With my OCD I almost wish I had the V&H's back on to hide all the noise. This forum is great. Anything you want to know about a VTX is here...
Thanks guys. I have taken a safety course, well worth it. Only complaint is the bike is just pretty noisy, which I suppose with stock exhaust it's easy to hear EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
504 Posts
welcome from Vermont! The VTX is a solid machine with just a few known issues, ground and flang bearings. You said you're a new rider so let me make this point clear if you haven't been told already.
YOU ARE INVISIBLE and you need to ride accordingly. Stay out of blind spots, follow the flow of traffic and never trust a cager at an intersection of any kind. EYE CONTACT IS MEANINGLESS. Cagers will look right at you and pull out.

Stay safe and enjoy you X. It is a beast of a bike.
Polemides

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
a motorcycle is a machine , NOT a car. it will make noise, NO hydraulic lifter for the valves, NO servo for the transmission.. just function.

Congrats on the bike.. like others have said.. YOU ARE NOT Visible. and neither is your bike. It is up to you to protect you safety.

Do not lug the engine. keep the rpm's over 2,000.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. I am a recent F owner myself. You started off right getting the MSF training. Not sure if they have basic and advanced classes but you should take all they offer. I bought my bike off a first time bike owner, to be honest
I think he was scared of it. But he did find a training DVD from Jerry Palladino and said he practiced religiously and even took his motorcycle driving test on the VTX1800. Pretty impressive to do the cone weaves and small box u-turns on such a big bike. Knowing how to handle your machine and having the confidence to do so will pay off.

www.amazon.com/The-NEW-Ride-Like-Pro/dp/B008J5EE7S

As others have said, motorcycles do make mechanical noise. I don't think the VTX is any worse in that respect than the leading edge 1000cc sportbikes I used to ride. In fact, there is no chain noise.

If you decide to wear a full face helmet, get one which provides good peripheral vision, you will need it. Be careful and have fun.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My VTX 1800R is my 39th motorcycle, and so I say with some experienced confidence: there is nothing "clunky" about the transmission (except when shifting into 1st from neutral at a dead stop), PROVIDED the rider knows how to shift and use the cluthc properly.

Many riders who find the tranny clunky shift as follows: pull in the clutch completely, make the shift, and let out the clutch.

The better way to shift is: START pulling the clutch while simultaneously starting to put pressure on the shifter, pull the clutch in only as far as required to enable the shift, and let clutch only. If done right, a VTX shifts very smooooothly with this technique.

Jim G

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can't agree enough.

If you always assume they are trying to kill you (the cagers) you have a chance. Been riding for years and never in an accident but there were close calls. But I didn't get hit because I assumed they were trying to kill me and had an eye on them. Doesn't mean I never will. I just think you have to have the attitude to stay alive on a bike long term.
welcome from Vermont! The VTX is a solid machine with just a few known issues, ground and flang bearings. You said you're a new rider so let me make this point clear if you haven't been told already.
YOU ARE INVISIBLE and you need to ride accordingly. Stay out of blind spots, follow the flow of traffic and never trust a cager at an intersection of any kind. EYE CONTACT IS MEANINGLESS. Cagers will look right at you and pull out.

Stay safe and enjoy you X. It is a beast of a bike.
Polemides

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My VTX 1800R is my 39th motorcycle, and so I say with some experienced confidence: there is nothing "clunky" about the transmission (except when shifting into 1st from neutral at a dead stop), PROVIDED the rider knows how to shift and use the cluthc properly.

Many riders who find the tranny clunky shift as follows: pull in the clutch completely, make the shift, and let out the clutch.

The better way to shift is: START pulling the clutch while simultaneously starting to put pressure on the shifter, pull the clutch in only as far as required to enable the shift, and let clutch only. If done right, a VTX shifts very smooooothly with this technique.

Jim G

Im using the preload technique I've read about, which is similar to what you're saying. .. Works great for me. Thank!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In regards to traffic, keeping my head on a swivel and knowing my place. So far so good!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard. Great bike to start on-maybe a little bit much for some but not if you are not afraid of it. It may seem a little clunky at first but if you ride any other bikes as I have over the years you'll coine to appreciate the smoothness and power of that big ole 1800. The clunkiness is just telling you what a monster bike you have. Be safe and enjoy your new addiction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts