Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, y'all.

I have an 02 1800C with just over 30k on the odometer, a PC3, K&N, and I recently have been experiencing a new vibration from the engine. It is most evident at highway speeds below 80mph, and at similar engine speeds in lower gears. It makes the mirrors unusuable, and makes my hands and feet tingle after my 30 mile commute to work every day.

After checking to make sure a Harley engine hadn't snuck into the frame, my first thought was spark plugs, and though they were carbonized, replacement did not solve the vibration. Next was ground fix (ground relocation had been done previously, but the rest of the fix had not yet been accomplished), so I finished that last weekend; bike still vibrates.
I don't hear any unusual sounds from the engine, or the valve train, but my next thought would be valve adjustment... I think the last one was about 10k ago.

Could a couple valves out of adjustment cause this vibration? What else could it be?
I'm open to ideas, and I appreciate the help...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had the same problem. It started at about 8,000 miles, rather abruptly on the interstate at 80MPH. Have yet to figure out what it is or how to fix it. Have 27,000 on ot now. It has never gotten any worse, but won't go away either.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Two different problems:

If it is showing up at 80 mph then it is rear tire balance.

If it follows rpm then it is motor.

If it is motor then you do not have to be riding to find it.
Run the motor up to the vibration point.
Feel the motor to varify the vibration.
Cautiously feel the pipes to see if they are equally hot, a cool pipe will indicate a misfire.

Check your motor mounts too.

Larry

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Larry, I'll give it a try...

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I just reread your original post :oops: and it strikes me the fact that you have a PC3 try downloading a new map or reload yours, the vibration could be caused by a wrong mixture causing a slight misfire. :-?

Larry

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Or, try taking the PC3 out altogether. It might run better and restore your mpg's.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I just reread your original post :oops: and it strikes me the fact that you have a PC3 try downloading a new map or reload yours, the vibration could be caused by a wrong mixture causing a slight misfire. :-?

Larry
Or, try taking the PC3 out altogether. It might run better and restore your mpg's.
First of all I will say that I have posted this exact problem myself and am yet to find the issue. My bike is in the shop as we speak (Snow on the ground here anyway).

So far I have...

Ruled out tires (pull clutch and vibration stops) As was mentioned earlier, I can get it to shake just sitting in neutral and setting the revs right.
Adjusted valves (they were only slightly out anyway)
Re-Mapped PCIII (with many downloaded maps)
Removed PCIII
Changed plugs (With both NGK and Bosch)
Re-Torqued engine mounts (helped a little)
Ran Techron through three tanks of gas (replaced plugs after)
Replaced V&H Pipes with stock

End result... A whole pile of wasted time and money.

This all started when I took the bike out of winter storage in the spring. It ran butter smooth last year and now I have the exact same problem as Wingnut.

I switched from a 1300 to an 1800 for this exact reason (I can stand vibration). I was so impressed with how smooth the 1800 was and now I'm back to square 1. If anyone can solve this you will have at least two people extremely grateful.

Not trying Hijack this thread just trying to help by adding some info on what I've already done with no effect.

Cheers

Jthree

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not trying Hijack this thread just trying to help by adding some info on what I've already done with no effect.

Cheers

Jthree

No offense taken. And I agree, there will be two very grateful people. Sorry about the snow... got down into the 50s last night, but that's pretty chilly for this Arizona Xer.

I haven't really taken any time yet to check out anything more than the grounding and the plugs, but I'll re-torque the mounts tonight.

Thanks, all.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Keep us (me) posted with anything you do and the results. I, of course, will do the same. As I mentioned, I broke down and have left it with my local Honda shop. They have been great so far and will keep it for as long as they like (remember the snow). The manager has taken this on as his pet project so hopefully something will come of it if not it'll be trade time.
The Bike show is coming to Toronto this weekend and the wife is out of town... Maybe I'll fix the issue with something new:grin: just wish Honda had not stopped the 1800's.

Good luck

Jthree

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I have been following these threads and thinking about this quite a bit. I see that Wingnut has 30,000 miles, jthree did not say what his mileage was, so I would be curious if it's similar or higher. About the only thing I can think of in these motors that could generate a rpm specific vibration would be a distorted or tight link in one of the cam chains, a cam gear that has asymetrical wear to its teeth, or a bad chain guide on one of the tesioners. RPM specific vibrations are very rare in push-rod (OHV), and belt driven cam in head, or overhead cam engines. I would suggest borrowing or buying a mechanics stethoscope and listening to the chains run over the tensioners and gears. The frequency of the chains as they come off load (after the cams) are rpm induced. Please keep us up to speed on any developments.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
I bet it's the clutch. I also had a "vibration" and I decided to inspect the clutch and found broken springs. The rest of the clutch look good but I replaced the clutch anyway... just because .....
and it was open. Vibration is now gone.

I'm not saying that this is your problem but it could be.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have around 16,000 miles.

How much of a job is it to take the clutch apart and check for broken springs?

Cheers

Jthree

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While I don't yet know if any of this will fix my problem, I would like to say I am GRATEFUL of the wealth of experience and know-how from everyone.

Thank you.

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
While I don't yet know if any of this will fix my problem, I would like to say I am GRATEFUL of the wealth of experience and know-how from everyone.

Thank you.
Send me a plane ticket, I'll be happy to fly down to somewhere WARM and fix the clutch. LOL!

Mark

I'm sure someone else mentioned it but make sure all your grounds are clean (ground fix found on Bare's site) and you have your battery terminals are also tight and clean. Check your coil connections.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Send me a plane ticket, I'll be happy to fly down to somewhere WARM and fix the clutch. LOL!
Did someone let on that I work for US Airways? LOL :)

I did the ground fix last weekend... blew a perfectly good Saturday in the garage when I should have been out riding!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts