Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

My name is Matt - Located in VA in Appalachia. Just picked up an 05' VTX 1800R off a seller in NY. Clean short of some chrome pitting. Great deal - only 12K miles. I've always loved Honda's and run a Honda auto repair shop in Northern Virginia.

Originally I looked at some Kawasaki Voyagers because I was looking to upgrade from my old Vulcan 900 which just didn't have enough nuts for 2 up riding with my now wife. 2 years off a bike was long enough for me. Drove up to northern OH to look at a Voyager. Didn't like the position after having owned two previous cruisers or the having to rev high to get power. Anyways. Then drove up to NY to look at the VTX hesitantly because I was worried it would be too big due to my short inseam and height. Got on the bike, fired it up, and damn I loved it from the first minute. During the test ride it just felt perfect and was Uber comfortable with space and power for days. Was stupid smooth too. Bought it on the spot and rode it right back from near Rochester to home. Plenty of parking lot practice along the way. I love everything about it. Short of having to navigate my gravel drive which is very difficult with the weight - everything is perfect.

Just changed final drive fluid, oil, filter, coolant, bled all the brake and clutch hydraulics, new spark plugs, new front tire, and installed speakers.

Question - I did have a front end wobble on decel. Started with the front tire since it was worn out, Metzler 880 brand new on the front aired to 42psi. 80% better. I adjusted the steering bearings and torquing to 110in lbs added a quarter turn to the preload nut. Now high speed is even smoother but still a semblance of wobble in decel and low speed corners. Was gonna try and ride in tomorrow to the shop and tighten it up a little more. Didn't have a fish scale the first time but I picked one up today.

I love riding and usually get 12-15K miles a year at least on my bike. If anyone ever wants to ride please let me know! Glad to be a VTX owner and look forward to helping out on the forum here.

Happy riding!

Best,

Matt

·
Super Moderator
63,774 Posts
If the front was bad, the rear is probably just as bad and will show as a vibration. Also, check the rear shock bushings as they are also known to wear out and become oblong and will cause wobbles/vibrations.

Remember, the VTX was designed to run on the lowest octane available. Premium use is known to foul the plugs on this bike. Do the Ground Fix as seen on our How To;Step-by-Step board paying special attention to the Common Electronics Ground section

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Welcome,, the VTX is good on dirt and gravel. you might need a little practice

my brother-in-law road to his house,,, the VTX does Fine up and down
Nicks road in Georgia

·
Registered
11,946 Posts
Don't worry about the fish scale. Not a true reading of bearing preload with
electrical wires and brake hoses connected, disks ,tire, and forks hanging there.
Honda has the torque value down, go with it.
From the Step by Step, old thread on wobble.

1300 has mickey mouse bearings, 1800 has taper bearings.
1300 upgrade to taper so we use the 1800 specs. A PDF and some 1800 Stem bearing info
from the 1800 SM. VTX steering stem 1800, 1300 upgrade

Welcome to the VTXOA..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cool! Welcome from the mountains of western NC!! I’ve been on a 1300 C since 2016, just bought an 1800 N and I’m currently catching up the maintenance on her. Like said above, the rear Shock bushings can cause funky riding so definitely check those. Also, the fairing, if not perfect, can cause some wobbling as well (I chased it a little when I put my fairing on the 1300)

my C

my N

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. You just missed by 3 weeks a gathering in Welch, W. by GOD Va. There should be another in the fall, follow the thread over on the VTX Cafe. (Knightrook)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts