Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 02 VTX with 9k miles on it. I'm new to riding a big boy bike and super excited to feel all the power this bike has to offer. Anyone have any pointers for the first ride on this beast AND when is the weather going to break so I can put a few miles on this boy? thumb_001_370_277-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Congrats on the bike

Welcome to the OA, BE CAREFUL THIS MACHINE IS A BEAST, AND HAS A LOT OF TORQUE. Ride it around and take it easy on the throttle, so you can get used to the weight, and the power. I don't know what your experience level is, but it will take a little while to get used to the bike. Has the bike been serviced lately (all fluids changed out) inspect the tires too. 9000 miles in 12 years, is just barely broke in. Motor cycle safety coarse is a great learning tool also. What part of the country are you from? Be safe man.

Steve#3 8)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought mine last spring, this was the 1st cruiser that I have ever ridden but not mu 1st bike. Last summer we road all over Michigan, up to the bridge, down the west coast. I can't get enough of this bike.
Some things I've learned:
The bike is heavy so plan your moves, riding double makes it a little more cumbersome. ( we never put her down but came close once) The most important thing to remember is to give yourself plenty of time to get used to the bike.
Make sure the tires are in good shape, as they wear cornering can get spooky. I thought the tires that came with the bike were good for the 1st season but after I had a set of new ones installed it road and cornered like a different bike.
I ride with a friend that has a sport cruiser and gets a kick out of seeing how fast he can go around the corners, for me I went at a speed that I felt comfortable with. Keep an eye on the odometer start looking for a gas station around every 100 miles

1 - 3 of 3 Posts