Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
After a long bit of shopping, drooling over bikes, researching bikes and trying to sell my own little vlx 600, it finally happened. I found a 2003 VTX1800C with 13,900 miles on it. Vance and Hines Big shots, small windshield (not sure what kind), 200 cobra rear tire, small sissy bar, and leatherlyke bags, everything else is stock and only has a couple minor scratches on it. Picked it up for $5350. Kind of interested in hearing from you all if i got a good deal or not, from what i can tell i did. Also I've been reading around here about mods and other things, I'm no mechanic so i wanted to know what some beginning mods would be if any. And all I've done for maintenance is change the oil. Thinking the only other thing to worry about is air filter and final drive oil? maybe rear splines? but I'm not sure how to check those. All links and suggestions appreciated!!! And I'm aiming to have pics up by tonight. Very awesome step up =] glad to be on this forum finally

·
Super Moderator
64,046 Posts
Welcome to the board!
Bookmark or save to your favorites folder, these websites, http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77
This is the NEW VTXOA Garage, a sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX. http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/ A fellow VTX Riders site that has many write-ups on “How-To” do work on the VTX. Also, for you 1300 guys http://vtx1300tips.com/VTX1300TIPS.htm another fellow VTX Riders site.
There is also a helpful Search icon in the users Toolbar just under the VTXOwners Association banner
Click the “Search” drop down and select “Advanced Search”
Now, enter your keywords and select a single forum to search in
Select 1, and only 1 "Forum" to search in at a time, or at all.
For example, "Best airbox" I would only search in the "1800 Tech Board"
That's the basic way, you can limit further by using some of the other "Drop-Down" menu's like if you know the thread you are looking for is only a week or so old, etc....
The purpose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
How To Use This Forum, Click Here
Take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749
Also, update your Profile to include where you live and what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S/T

·
Registered
406 Posts
First Off.....Welcome to the board. and the new Bike, :congrats: This is the place to learn about your bike and all the information you can stand. There is more talent on this board then you will find in any bike shop. I,ve only had my "X" over a year that was a totaled wreck. (Salvage1) Had it on the road in 4 months. You will have all the support you need if gonna do your own wrenching. Hope you have a good credit limit, lots of Bling to buy, Good Luck and ride on.......................:doorag:

·
Registered
58 Posts
. Kind of interested in hearing from you all if i got a good deal or not, from what i can tell i did.

Welcome aboard!

Too late to worry about that, and I'd be surprised and dissapointed if you had the time left to worry instead of riding!

Get out and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Welcome + congrats on the new scoot! You'll find everything you need to know here. Far as air cleaner goes, lots of folks runnin the re-useable K+N filter. Several more, like myself, open up the air box with the "SpyKer Mod". Far as final drive change, think they recommend 25K but it's sooooooooooo easy I'd do it now on an '03. Check the "how to board".

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
any time yu can get an 1800 with reasonable milage on it for around 5 your doin good. congrats on the new bike and WELCOME FROM FAR WEST TEXAS.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Welcome,
First thing, buy a manual. Second, search for "ground fix". Third, check out this sites sponsor. Fourth, ride the stew out of it!!!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Welcome to the board where your questions will be answered:grin:

·
Registered
804 Posts
:congrats: on the new bike. You will enjoy it. Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Welcome to the best and most informative Honda board you'll ever find with some super nice people. I personally have learned a lot and still learning.

So I see you made the decision and personally I think you got a good deal. I'd never sell my 03R for that! When you were trying to decide between the two, I was the one giving you the pros and cons of each saying" the VTX will rip your arms from your socket" and the Valkyrie will do it without you knowing it! :lol: Another thing about a VTX, when you blow the sidecovers off a HD, they can't stand it because not only is it a Honda but another V-Twin. When I do it with my Valkyrie, they'll say something like "man, but you got 6 cylinders!! Lol:lol::lol::lol: nojoke

I think you made a good decision. You can't go wrong with either one! :thumbup::thumbup: :congrats:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Welcome!!!!!

:congrats:
First of all welcome to the boards. I think you got a great deal. I got my X (2002 VTX 1800C) for $3,200 at auction. It was the only "foreign" bike there and was overlooked because everyone wanted the HD's which didn't sell because the reserve was too high.

The tech board here is great!! They've helped me with everything from a fuel regulator to rebuilding my front end after I was hit. Save me serious $$$. Like others have said. Buy and manual. I would also suggest a good motorcycle lift.

Happy riding!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Welcome,
First thing, buy a manual. Second, search for "ground fix". Third, check out this sites sponsor. Fourth, ride the stew out of it!!!
:agree:

Welcome from Texas

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Welcome!

Tons of info on the "How To/Step by Step" Board.

Here's a quick ref from the How To for upkeep to 20k:

VTX Maintenance Schedule and Prompt List

General Maintenance Schedule

Note: While not definitive, this maintenance schedule was developed based on information contained in the Honda VTX 1800 Maintenance Manual as well the recommendations of senior VTX wrenches, including Tapper, Bare, La-Monster and Chicago-Spike. The Maintenance Prompt is merely a check-off list for helping to ensure that each of the recommended tasks has been completed. Both frequency and mileage markers are listed to cross-reference tasks based on personal need.

Although maintenance habits vary, all key safety factors and fluids should be checked prior to each ride and given a thorough inspection on a regular basis. Given the lifespan of today’s synthetic oils, engine oil and filters should be replaced every 5-8 thousand miles. Spark plugs should be regularly cleaned, their gaps checked and replaced when the points show extended wear. The de-smog and ground-fix are highly recommended as is the purchase of an Official Honda Service manual for the year of the bike. Regular waxing and light detailing, before and after each ride, helps maintain the body integrity and serves as an opportunity to eyeball the bike. Winter/long-term storage concerns are directly related to the length of time the bike remains idle and the extent of exposure to the elements; the suggested routine is for extended storage and should be tailored to meet one’s needs based on the length of time not ridden.

Before Each Ride/Weekly

1. Look over the bike; check for anything out of place
2. Check brake lights, turn signals, headlamps and horn
3. Spot-check fasteners cables and tires
4. Wipe down bike with detailer or spray polish
5. Check oil and coolant levels (weekly)
6. Check tire are pressure (weekly/every two weeks)

Before Each Long Ride
1. Look over the bike; check for anything out of place
2. Check brake lights, turn signals, headlamps and horn
3. Spot-check fasteners cables
4. Wipe down bike with detailer or spray polish
5. Check oil and coolant levels
6. Check tire are pressure and valve stems
7. Check flat repair, tool and emergency gear
8. Check helmet, boots, jacket, glove, earplugs, goggles, safety vest, mouth guard and safety gear
9. Clothing, medication, phone and extra travel supplies
10. Leave route and itinerary information
Monthly

1. Clean and re-oil air filter
2. Tighten fittings
3. Wax

Twice a Year

1. Spring Ready
a. Techron (2 oz per thankful, 3x )
b. Change oil, filter and crush washers (filter every 3k; oil every 6k)
2. Winter Ready
a. Top off the gas, if you're going to store your bike for any prolonged period. Use Sea Foam gas stabilizer with full tank.
b. Every month it sits idle, hook up the battery to a trickle charger or tender for the weekend to top the battery off. Or, take bike out for a half hour ride or so.
c. If you know it will sit in cold storage for 3 months or longer:
1. Top off tank to the brim with fresh fuel; add a gas stabilizer (ie. SeaFoam)
2. Clean/Wash and Wax bike, including frame; polish wheels and windshield
3. Change Oil and Filter, if within mileage limits, instead of next season start
4. Clean Air Filter
5. Check all nuts and bolts, fluids, lubricate cables and switchgears
6. Use a leather cleaner / preserver on seat, bags and rubber hoses
7. Apply a thin coat of oil, stainless steel spray or WD40 on chrome
8. Spray fork lowers with WD40, Marvel Mystery Oil, or engine oil, hold the front brake and bounce your weight on the front of the bike to work the front suspension. This will help prevent the rubber fork seal from drying and protect the exposed metal slider.
9. Pull the plugs (put the plugs back in the wires, but make sure they are NOT touching anything, pour some oil (an ounce or two) into the cylinders. With the plugs REMOVED, crank the motor for a few seconds. The plugs will spark, so make sure they aren't dangling in a bad spot. This will completely coat the pistons and cylinder walls with oil. Replace the plugs.
10. Remove battery (negative terminal first), if not sealed, fill it with distilled water up to the marks and store in warm area or add a Battery Tender. Do not start periodically as it increases condensation in engine and may drain battery
11. Put bike on a lift or stand; otherwise store on dry flooring unless floor is sealed. Get as much weight as possible off the tires
12. Keep stored in dry area; if any dampness, keep a couple of bags of silica gel crystals (cat litter) in pillow cases or open cans nearby. Spray engine and undercarriage with a light silicone or engine fogging oil
13. Avoid storing motorcycle near items that use high levels of electricity (hot water heater, dryer) as the ozone created dry-rots tires more quickly
14. If rodents can access the bike hang moth balls or other rodent deterrents near bike chassis and plug pipes with steel wool to prevent nesting
15. Cover the bike with a breathable cover or a soft cotton bed sheet
16. Periodically, operate controls throughout the winter and roll wheels (if on the ground) to a different tire position. Keep tire pressure up.

At Every Tire Change

1. Inspect wheel bearings
2. Inspect flange bearing in rear wheel
3. Ensure moly paste was used to lubricate the drive splines
4. Replace tube for spoked tires
5. Verify pinch bolt torque
6. Verify axle bolt torque
7. Verify correct adjustment of front wheel spacing

Maintenance Prompt List by Mileage

Given that this is a summary document, it is not intended to be definitive nor all inclusive. Adjustments should be made based on personal preferences and riding habits. Bikes with extended mileage should routinely repeat the 4 and 8 thousand mile interval tasks (8k includes all the 4k).

0 miles ____Inspect bike for anything out of place
____Check brake lights, turn signals, headlamps and horn
____Spot-check fasteners and cables
____Wax bike/Wipe down bike with detailer or spray polish
____Check oil and coolant levels
____Check tire are pressure and valve stems
____Check Headlight Aim
____Check flat repair, tool and emergency gear
____Check helmet, boots, jacket, glove, earplugs, goggles, safety vest, mouth guard and safety gear

600 miles. ____Engine Oil (R); replace crush washers
____Final Drive Oil (R); use 75w-90 oil or Tapper "Gear Gravy" mix
____Brake Fluid (R)
____Clutch Fluid (R)
____Throttle Play (A)
____Steering Stem (I)
____Shock bushings (I)
____Valve lash (I/A)
____Engine Idle (A; set idle - 900-950rpm)
____Fasteners (I)
____Axle Bolts (A; loosen and retighten)
____Fork Pinch Bolts (A; loosen and retighten)

1,200 – 1,500 m. ____Engine Oil (R)
____Oil Filter (R); replace crush washers
____

4,000 m. ____Crankcase Breather (C)
____Engine Oil (R); replace crush washers
____Engine Filter (R)
____Fasteners (I)
____Spark Plugs (inspect gap; clean heads)
____Engine Idle Speed (I)
____Brake Pad Wear (I)
____Tire Wear (I)
____Rear Shock Bushings (I)
____Water Pump (I)
____Clutch Fluid (I)
____12 oz Techron Fuel System Cleaner (2oz X 3 tank-fulls)
____Clean Air Filter; K&N Clean and Oil
____Check helmet, boots, jacket, glove, earplugs, goggles, safety vest, mouth guard and safety gear

Given that this is a summary document, it is not intended to be definitive nor all inclusive. Adjustments should be made based on personal preferences and riding habits. Bikes with extended mileage should routinely repeat the 4 and 8 thousand mile interval tasks (8k includes all the 4k).

8,000 m. ____Engine Oil (R)
____Engine Oil Filter (R); replace crush washers
____Fuel Line (I)
____Throttle Operation (I)
____Crankcase Breather (C)
____Spark Plug (R)
____Valve Clearance (I/A)
____Radiator Coolant (I)
____Cooling System (I)
____Secondary Air Supply System (I)
____Final Drive Oil (I/R, if not previously done)
____Brake Fluid (I)
____Brake Pads Wear (I)
____Brake System (I)
____Brake Light Switch (I)
____Headlight Aim (I)
____Clutch System (I)
____Clutch Fluid (I)
____Side Stand (I)
____Suspension (I)
____Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners (I)
____Wheels/Tires (I)
____Steering Head Bearings (I)
____Inspect Tire Wear
____Water Pump (I)
____Inspect and/or Adjust Valve Lash (I/A)
____Radiator Cap (C)

12,000 m. ____Fuel Line (I)
____Crankcase Breather ©
____Spark Plug (R)
____Engine Oil (R); replace crush washers
____Engine Filter (R)
____12 oz Techron Fuel System Cleaner (2oz X 3 tank-fulls) ____Clean Air Filter; K&N Clean and Oil

16,000 m. ____Engine Oil Filter (R)
____Fuel Line (I)
____Crankcase Breather (C)
____Spark Plug (R)
____Valve Clearance (I/A)
____Radiator Coolant (I)
____Cooling System (I)
____Secondary Air Supply System (I)
____Final Drive Oil (I/R, if not previously done)
____Brake Fluid (I)
____Brake Pads Wear (I)
____Brake System (I)
____Brake Light Switch (I)
____Headlight Aim (I)
____Clutch System (I)
____Clutch Fluid (I)
____Side Stand (I)
____Suspension (I)
____Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners (I)
____Wheels/Tires (I)
____Steering Head Bearings (I)
____Inspect Tire Wear
____Water Pump (I)
____Inspect and/or Adjust Valve Lash (I/A)
____Radiator Cap (C)

19,000/20,000 ____Engine Oil (R; Send oil sample to Blackstone Labs) crush washers
____Engine Oil Filter (R)
____Coolant (R; Silicate Free Only)
____Fuel Filter (R)
____Battery (C)
____Headlight Bulb (I/R)
____Turn Indicator Bulbs (R)
____Throttle Cables (L)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Welcome to the board, and enjoy the new ride.:congrats:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome to the board, from Ohio, in 3 week, Illinois :thumbup: This site has more info than 98% of any honda dealerships I have ever been to. Good bunch, easy to work with, friendly as a herd of new puppies :mrgreen: Happy Trails and safe riding, Dawg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts