Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new the this forum, and I hope to be a contributor after I learn a bit more about the VTX. Lurked for quite awhile before buying my Honda to get a feel for this bike vs. the Yamaha V-star line. So far, I love it. But, I'm having some issues with the Carb and maybe someone can help me. I'm coming from the injected engine world as my first bike was a 2012 Ninja. My wife told me I had to grow up.

This is a 2005 VTX with low miles, around 15k. It sat for 6 months or so before I bought it, and so far I've changed the oil, cleaned the plugs and checked gaps, changed the air filter, fixed the common petcock leak, and changed the fuel supply tube. I also sprayed the exposed part of the intake with intake cleaner. I rode the bike last night and it ran well with great throttle response, with one exception. It stalls when first initiating throttle from idle. I was able to force through it with heavy throttle and clutch feathering and rode the bike for 10 miles or so, but it chokes quite a bit on the first 5-10 degrees of throttle turn. It even stalled on me at an intersection...which was a bit embarrassing! With the bike not running I can see that some fuel comes out of the accelerator pump jet. It's not a spray/mist, but somewhat of a dribble. I actually don't see this flow when the bike is running.

I did some searching on this forum and didn't find other posts that were described my issue.

I'm wondering if I'll need to do a complete rebuild, or a simply clean, or possibly an adjustment. I appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Dave, and welcome.

I'd wait for someone to come along that knows more than myself (most of these guys), but will relay my own experience in the meantime if it helps. I got my 2005 last year - it ran well enough but there was a slight stumble/hesitation off idle - small throttle inputs as you describe. I have rebuilt a ton of carbs, and because there's only one here, welcomed having a look inside.

That's a lot of sitting, especially if the fuel wasn't stabilized, so in my mind, a good cleaning is probably in order. I replaced the diaphragm and the accelerator pump diaphragm - the latter looked pretty old and used up. If memory serves properly, it gives a pretty good squirt when depressed, not a dribble.

Because of my approach (cleaning and replacing everything at once), it's kind of hard to identify any one thing that caused the stumble (the cleaning alone could have been the solve), but it did excise the stumble nicely.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Tear down and clean.Special attention to tiny holes in the emulsion tubes/low speed circuit.
Accelerator pump should squirt.
Here is a link to MR VTX carb tear down. Carb Cleaning 101

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! That's an impressive write-up by Mr. VTX. I was a bit apprehensive about doing this job but that documentation looks very detailed. I really appreciate the direction here and I'll report back with results.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I purchased a 2004 VTX1300c that had been sitting for about 7 years.

Thankfully, the owner had put SeaFoam in it when he stored it but SeaFoam is only good for about 2 years according to the can.

The tank and carbs were drained and fresh gas was introduced along with about 1.5 ounces of Seafoam additive per gallon. This is slightly more than the 1 oz per gallon preventive dosage listed on the can but the can also says that more will not hurt anything.

I actually ran SeaFoam for the first few tanks and it cleaned everything out

The bike did run a little rough at first, but the additive did the trick.

I now use SeaFoam during the winter months when the bike might sit for a few weeks between rides.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Dannybananas just posted on another Carb help thread with a video. He shows tank removal( I remove the speedo cluster so no messing with the green connectors). He removed the carb but left throttle cables and coolant hoses on. He pulled off carb bowl and pulled jets to clean.

Youtube is a great tool... vtx 1300 carburetor cleaning - YouTube

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Hans&Feet. I didn't find the one I referenced but I did find this one.

I ended up taking the whole thing off the bike and I'm doing a complete rebuild with Mr. VTX's directions. I needed a few gaskets anyway. I did find that the accelerator diaphragm was a bit cracked around the edges. Probably dry rotted. Waiting for parts to come in so I can put it all back together.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem solved! I was able to do the carb disassembly and clean. I replaced all the gaskets and accelerator pump. The old accelerator pump was the issue...just a tiny crack in the outer part of the diaphragm and probably a bit of dry rot caused the issue. Now I'm getting a good squirt into the throttle butterfly from the accelerator pump.

It's running well now. Thanks guys!!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Problem solved! I was able to do the carb disassembly and clean. I replaced all the gaskets and accelerator pump. The old accelerator pump was the issue...just a tiny crack in the outer part of the diaphragm and probably a bit of dry rot caused the issue. Now I'm getting a good squirt into the throttle butterfly from the accelerator pump.

It's running well now. Thanks guys!!!!
Just curious, did you buy the OEM $75 diaphragm or did you find an aftermarket? If aftermarket, who made it and where did you get it? If you don't mind my asking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up buying the OEM kit for $66. I figured it isn't worth it to possibly save a few bucks given the hours I spent on this and the potential for problems. I found that my local dealer also runs an online business, and after showing the pricing I found online they were able to provide better pricing. Parts were available in 3 days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts