Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys I just got a new 1300R . And want to add Bags,
Windshield. But looking on the internet isn't helping
with getting something I'll like. Anyone got any suggestions ? Thanks

"Keep the rubber side down "

·
Registered
739 Posts
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the forum!!!! You might want to put your location in your info to contact other members in your area.

Got my bags from www.carolinaleatherworks.com, Item 797SP. Very roomy and GREAT quality. Good people.

Windshield is Memphis fats, adds to the retro look - IMO! Memphis Shades has the best customer service around.

jp

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would go with one of the detachable widshields. I have the switchblade from national cycle with the 2 up and the Shorty. Easy to install and very easy to switch windshields or ride without. I like the looks of the bike without a windshield so I wanted something that would come off very easy. As for bags I have the Honda line bags very big, good quality and very expensive. I used Easy brackets so I can take them off, then I modified the brackets and bags so they would slide back and drop down a little farther. I dont really care for the looks of them on the bike, it looks kinda big, but they are only on during long trips, they hold a ton of stuff and I can't complain about the quality. That being said if I had to do it over again I'm still not sure what bag I would get.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Old Goat
26,227 Posts
:congrats: and welcome, as for bags and windshield Ive got the memphis fats 21" for winter and the alley cat 18" for summer and when their on the bike K-drive click and locks. good luck on your choice

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Looks like its going to take a
while to find the right match for me.

I,m kind of anal and have to look EVERYWHERE
before I think I know which one to buy. Oh well
just another shortcoming. Just think I wanted
to buy a Harley to start with.

" Keep your rubbers on the right side "

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. My setup is the Memphis Fats (21") and US Saddlebags Co bags.

The shield is a quick release and the bags lock to the bike but can be easily removed.

The only thing I'd do different is get the larger bags. Good news is though that I will soon be putting on the Road King leather covered hard bags. I just need to find time to make a mounting plate.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I kind of like the Memphis Slims windshields.
But Haughton,
at 21" are you looking throught the shield?

I've only had one bike with a windshield and it was on
a BMW and was small and low.

Anyway I do want one of the detachable windshield.

Thanks

·
Registered
464 Posts
Roadking classic bags and a fairing is the way to go!:tools: Do it yourself and very pleasing to the eyes

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have National Cycle 21" windshield. It made all the difference on long rides. It's worth it to not eat bugs. But I am fairing shopping. Lots on this board with them and they look great. And neat stereo. My bags are saddleman jumbos. Too small, so I have some HD hard bags that I am going to mount with Easy Brackets. Welcome to the board and the endless buying and mods. :shock: bill

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the Switchblade windshield and got my bags from leatherneckjims.com with easy brackets. They are great quality and roomy. Less expensive than most places too. He's also a vet so that put his business over the top for me. I e-mailed him a lot of questions before purchasing and he answered all of them.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
My choices

I have the National Cycle Switchblade 2 up and 1 up. I can't say enough about how easy these come off and on. They pull off and push on in about 5 seconds, :shock: no exaggeration. High quality all the way. :thumbup:

I have Champion Patriot hard bags, but they are really expensive (about $1,200.00). Sometimes you get what you pay for and these are top of the line with locking lids and no vibration black powdercoated mounting plates.

Rex Franks Roadking classic bags look awesome! I'd go with them if I didn't have the hard bags.

Good luck on your choices! :doorag:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the Switchblade windshield and got my bags from leatherneckjims.com with easy brackets. They are great quality and roomy. Less expensive than most places too. He's also a vet so that put his business over the top for me. I e-mailed him a lot of questions before purchasing and he answered all of them.
+1 I have leather bags from Jim and the Switchblade shield and love both. I fyou have any questions about the bags, get ahold of Jim. He is great to work with and very responsive. The has a leather line and a synthetic leather line that gets great reviews.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have the memphis Fats 21' and the Leatherlyke Bags. I like them both. I also have a Tour Master trunk bag that really comes in handy.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Can't really say on the bags... but I had a National 2-up windshield on my bike when I bought it. It was the acrylic one and it developed cracks in the winshield everywhere a fastener went through it. I replaced it with a Switchblade made out of Lexan. Much better and no cracks! I would say whatever windshield you decide on, make sure it's Lexan. I'm much happier now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
:congrats: on the new ride and welcome to the forum. Anything you need to know just ask. There's people on here that know all there is about the X's. I have an '08 R and I put a Memphis Shades 21 inch on it and couldn't ask for more. I don't have bags yet but do have a sissybar bag that works well. Ok that's my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I've got the Memphis Shades Fats 21" and Saddlemen Bags. Check with DLP here Great Prices and if you find it cheaper else were they will beat that price! Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the Memphis Fats 19.. Wish I went to the 21. I don't have bags yet but If I go that route I will probably add hard bags.

I also heard that the 7" cut out will fit the R model. Not sure if this is the case or not but I went with the 9" and I have a sizable gap at the headlight.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
howdy

i have a 13t - but if i were looking for bags i would drop by us saddlebags..i have some of their bike leather and it is top notch..us made too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts