Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name'sJay and I just picked up a project 2004 VTX1300S for free. It was a single owner bike, have no idea on mileage because it's missing the tank and speedo. It came with the spoked wheels and a set of mags from another VTX(not sure on the model). It's been sitting in the owner's dad's backyard for a handful of years in disrepair hence the free price(I did get a signed title though). I can get it to turn over if I jump the starter so it's not seized but that's as much as I know so far other than all the missing parts. Because of all the missing parts I plan on going full custom with it, either bobber style or pseudo cafe depending on how ambitious I feel. Of course this is all depending on whether I can get it running or not. I have a few parts coming in for that so I'll update this thread until it runs, then I'll start a build thread. I will probably have some questions along the way as while I'm not new to mechanics I am relatively new to motorcycles(had a junkyard special as a teen and a CBR600F3 I just got and fixed up last fall).

·
Registered
14,238 Posts
Welcome to the VTXOA!
On one of my 60 mile loops there was a 1300S VTX parked out in the open for a few years.
I actually stopped once, the dog was defensive, no one came out. Finally it disappeared.
It is sad to see MC parked out in the open deteriorating.
Start cleaning the carb. That will be the major repair.
Are you on FB??
I have owner's manual and Service Manuals at FB GaVTX Files section.
1300 info 1300 Section

·
Registered
14,238 Posts
Swing arm/final drive missing??
"R" mag wheel.
R/S mag wheels, S=spokes.
Some guy bought a bobber fender and lights.

·
Registered
2008 1300T
1,325 Posts
Following along. Good luck, there’s a lot missing from that picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
It lives!!
Awesome. Now onto fuel delivery.

As far as turning her into a cafe or bobber, I believe she is too heavy for that. A chopper would work just fine, those are often heavy. But for cafes or bobbers, I tend to choose engines below or close to a liter because they are much easier to throw around. I have a 1.5L V-twin cafe, it is definitely not light (500lbs). I wish I had chosen a lighter bike for the build. (but I could not find one so I went with it)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did a carb rebuild to see if I can get her to idle, found the diaphragm had a bunch of tears in it so one's on order. Also found a tank in great shape and a swingarm with drive. Most of the major parts are in house now so I'm going to start tearing everything down to clean and paint and fix whatever else I find along the way.

BTW, even with the ripped diaphragm she runs.

·
Registered
14,238 Posts
$103 for the moly coated slide and diaphragm.
After my 2nd diaphragm developed tears, I bought a $25 diaphragm from JBM Industries.
All Balls is stocking carb parts along with wheel bearings, stem bearings.
How to Step by Step 1300 section has info.

Reactions: jklett73

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Did a carb rebuild to see if I can get her to idle, found the diaphragm had a bunch of tears in it so one's on order. Also found a tank in great shape and a swingarm with drive. Most of the major parts are in house now so I'm going to start tearing everything down to clean and paint and fix whatever else I find along the way.

BTW, even with the ripped diaphragm she runs.
Whoa, that's an awesome see-through fuel tank! Love it! Why can't we have those on our bikes. That way we can guess how much farther we can make it. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick question, would pipes from an interstate or a fury fit this(or anything else that I'm not thinking of)? I'm not expecting a direct bolt on but if the flanges will bolt up and the pipe locations are good I can modify the rest.

·
Registered
14,238 Posts
VTX 1300, VT 1300 (1312cc) the flanges will bolt up.
Footpegs, or platforms could be in the way.

Reactions: jklett73
1 - 14 of 14 Posts