Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the link for our 2018 road trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Includes the Natchez Trace Parkway, Dayton Air Force Museum, Ottawa, Prince Edward Island, the Cabot Trail, Skyline Parkway, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Tail Of The Dragon.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Thanks for the memory jog. Truly AWE-some trip! Ironically, my wife and I, (in the cage), were within a week behind you in NF. We did 12 days, 4400 mi. about 400-450 mi. ea. day. Left central Pa. July 19, stops along the way were New London, Ct., Bath, Me., Sydney NS, Deer Lake NF (2 nights), 1 day to L'anse aux Meadows Viking camp, then the next day to the NF giant squid monument on the north central coast, then a iceberg tour boat from Twillingate (didn't see any, too late in season), then a night in Gander, then turn-around back to Port-aux Basque for the night, Antigonish (near New Glasgow)next nt., back to Bath, then Bennington, Vt., and then home. Most of the trip was just for the scenery. Would've liked to have gone to St. John's NF, and seen more scenery, but wife had to be back home Dr. appointments. In 2002 we did Nova Scotia from Bar Harbor Me., via the Cat Ferry to Yarmouth, then Peggy's Cove, Antigonish, Cabot Trail to Dingman's Ferry, then golfed a day @ Highlands Links in Ingonish, Stopped at the single-malt distillery in the middle of Breton, back to Antigonish, then to PEI via ferry, new bridge back to NB, a night in Truro to see Bay of Fundy tides, back to Yarmouth, then longer slow ferry back to Portland, Me. then New London, and home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the memory jog. Truly AWE-some trip! Ironically, my wife and I, (in the cage), were within a week behind you in NF. We did 12 days, 4400 mi. about 400-450 mi. ea. day. Left central Pa. July 19, stops along the way were New London, Ct., Bath, Me., Sydney NS, Deer Lake NF (2 nights), 1 day to L'anse aux Meadows Viking camp, then the next day to the NF giant squid monument on the north central coast, then a iceberg tour boat from Twillingate (didn't see any, too late in season), then a night in Gander, then turn-around back to Port-aux Basque for the night, Antigonish (near New Glasgow)next nt., back to Bath, then Bennington, Vt., and then home. Most of the trip was just for the scenery. Would've liked to have gone to St. John's NF, and seen more scenery, but wife had to be back home Dr. appointments. In 2002 we did Nova Scotia from Bar Harbor Me., via the Cat Ferry to Yarmouth, then Peggy's Cove, Antigonish, Cabot Trail to Dingman's Ferry, then golfed a day @ Highlands Links in Ingonish, Stopped at the single-malt distillery in the middle of Breton, back to Antigonish, then to PEI via ferry, new bridge back to NB, a night in Truro to see Bay of Fundy tides, back to Yarmouth, then longer slow ferry back to Portland, Me. then New London, and home.
Nice. I’ll check out that single malt scotch distillery next time I’m in Cape Breton. (we have relatives in Sydney) I’m assuming you’re referring to the Glendora distillery in Glenville. We don’t need too much reason to return to Cape Breton.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Nice. I’ll check out that single malt scotch distillery next time I’m in Cape Breton. (we have relatives in Sydney) I’m assuming you’re referring to the Glendora distillery in Glenville. We don’t need too much reason to return to Cape Breton.
Yes, that was the name. I usually won't post on the OA much anymore, due to an asshat or 2 that think they know everything and the rest of us know absolutely nothing, but I get on and read every day, and not sure, but this site should still do PM's. If not, my email is [email protected] Take care, brother!

Reactions: StarrRider

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
Good trip and pictures. Makes me jealous.

In August 2016 I left out of Dallas. The sixth day I made it to the Cabot Trail but had to cancel the ferry ride to Newfoundland. As I was stopping (almost completely stopped) at a scenic overlook for a picture I hit a pothole, the X fell over and broke my leg. I was back to riding by February 2017.

It wasn't all bad. No real damage to X, Med Jet shipped it home. I opted for surgery up there, good surgeon. I made a new friend, he took care of the X until shipped. The stay in the hospital was as good as any here plus the nurses were cute. :cool:

I plan to give it another try to Newfoundland and Labrador this summer. Must decide if I'll take the X with 140,000 miles (more by summer) or my Royal Star Venture. I am leaning towards the X so I can say it has been in all states one can ride to plus all the provinces/territories with roads. Newfoundland and Labrador is the only one missing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leroys73, that was quite the adventure you had. The fact that Newfies took such excellent care of you is no surprise. We didn't take the ferry to Labrador at St. Barbe. That and visiting the Falling Waters house in Pennsylvania were two things we wish we hadn't skipped.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Fallingwater is about 1.5 hr. SW of me, and is an awesome experience of architecture. Frank Lloyd Wright.

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
I had posted a few months ago that a buddy and I were going to finish my trip this year to Newfoundland and Labrador that I started in 2016. That trip was canceled because the X fell on my leg thus breaking it while on the Cabot Trail.

Thanks to the CV19 I had to officially cancel the trip this year. Needless to say I am pissed. Even if Canada opens up completely in late August it will be too late for us as we have other commitments. We will still take a trip together but it will be within the US 48.

However, if my health holds out and I still have the spark, he and I are seriously considering riding the Trans Labrador Highway to Labrador then ferry to Newfoundland to see the sights before ferrying to NS.

We haven't settled on it 100% yet. I will need to buy a low mileage, mid size, dual sport for the adventure. He has a R1200GSA. We have both ridden the Dalton but this will be a greater challenge.

I like to believe I have one more adventure left in me even after having a stint put in 4 days ago.

I can't let the old man in.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the link! Awesome job putting it all together, very well written and interesting!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts